Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: SC1200 display errors with zones  (Read 79547 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: SC1200 display errors with zones
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »

Could be the sensor. As that doesn't sound like the normal chain of events.
I wounder if the small switch used for tamper detection and setting the initial ID is flaky or the processor just doesn't see the button pushed.

ratchet

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2011, 12:58:20 PM »

Could be the sensor. As that doesn't sound like the normal chain of events.
I wounder if the small switch used for tamper detection and setting the initial ID is flaky or the processor just doesn't see the button pushed.
I was thinking it could be something (anything!) like that with the sensor.  I wish I had kept track of the other(s) sensor that had the same light thing going on.  Of course at that time I had no idea it could be an issue.  So far this questionable sensor has been working.

azgdds

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »

What error are you getting? Problem Zone, Tamper in a Zone, Low Battery or Open Zone when it is closed?

I got a Open Zone one time when it was closed. I have an unproven theory. I opened and then closed the zone, but the closed message was missed. Now if I had waited for it to do its checking message. It should have corrected back to closed and I would have had an error for at least an hour.

Well today zones 5 and 6 (doors) are "problems."  I have had some as open and some motion sensors have been "problems.". Basically, I cant ever set my alarm. 

ratchet

« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »

What error are you getting? Problem Zone, Tamper in a Zone, Low Battery or Open Zone when it is closed?

I got a Open Zone one time when it was closed. I have an unproven theory. I opened and then closed the zone, but the closed message was missed. Now if I had waited for it to do its checking message. It should have corrected back to closed and I would have had an error for at least an hour.

Well today zones 5 and 6 (doors) are "problems."  I have had some as open and some motion sensors have been "problems.". Basically, I cant ever set my alarm. 
Don't get discouraged!  Try minor location adjustments.  I have a motion detector as far away as any component could be from the console and in the basement and it has been fine so I assumed their broadcast ability (for a better word) was better than door/window sensors, perhaps not.  The sensor in the images is only 16' from the console and in the same room and has continually troubled.  Several days now with this bell wire contraption without issue.  You might want to give it a whorl!
=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/picture001pm.jpg/]]URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/picture003lfn.jpg/]

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »

Thanks for the findings.

azgdds

« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2011, 10:01:21 PM »

I am happy that works, but why do we have to do this  ??? Seems like this thing should be made to communicate through walls and at reasonable distances... 16 ft., that is and should be a small distance for a security system.

ratchet

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2011, 10:43:06 PM »

I am happy that works, but why do we have to do this  ??? Seems like this thing should be made to communicate through walls and at reasonable distances... 16 ft., that is and should be a small distance for a security system.

Definitely no argument from me on that!  However, having said that, considering that the customer service is probably worst than the components, I chose to try to make thinks work as opposed to waiting weeks for exchanges or refunds.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2011, 05:55:03 AM »

All depends on antenna orientation.
With the DS12A sitting horizontal. The signal is beaming up to the ceiling and down to the ground.
Depending on how the SC1200 is mounted also effects the reception pattern as the antenna is wrapped around the case from front to back. In a gap between the top and bottom covers.

There are also FCC limits on how much transmit power the sender can use.

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2011, 01:13:23 PM »

Other wireless alarm systems (more expensive) spec their wireless range at over 300ft.   Never seem an official X10 range spec for the DS10A (product wiki says 100ft) or DS12A.  So I would guess this is one of quirks purchasing X10 security system.

JudyH

« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2011, 04:54:33 PM »

I'm trying to reply to Brian.  I'm not very good at navigating around this site.  I HAVE changed the orientation of my SC1200 console, and thus far I have no zone failures.  BUT, as we all know, it is probably just a matter of time.  Sure appreciate having others to chat with if for nothing more than consolation with this fringin' machine!  Judy

ratchet

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »

I'm trying to reply to Brian.  I'm not very good at navigating around this site.  I HAVE changed the orientation of my SC1200 console, and thus far I have no zone failures.  BUT, as we all know, it is probably just a matter of time.  Sure appreciate having others to chat with if for nothing more than consolation with this fringin' machine!  Judy
Honestly, I think it is possessed!  So my crazy zone four has been stellar for about five days now since I added the crazy antenna.  The window has been down (sensor separated from the magnet) as have 10 other zones.  None of them ever registering "Trouble".  Just for a little test I decide to close the place up.  I close all the door/windows downstairs and check the console.  All the downstairs sensors are registered (i.e. their numbers not showing on the console).  I pay particular attention looking for the digit 4 and indeed it is not there.  I go upstairs, close all the windows, come back down, look at the console and there, all by itself is 4 flashing.  ugh!  I open and close the window and I arm.  So why did "activating" the upstairs zones cause 4 to suddenly "Trouble"?  I'm telling you, the fringin' machine is haunted!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:11:23 PM by ratchet »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2011, 06:14:54 AM »

If you have DS12As.
Make sure you initialize them with the tamper button.
Then close the cover and have the magnet next to the DS12A.
Then start the registration process.
Some one found out and I verified. If you use the tamper button during the registration process. BOTH zones in the DS12A will register as a separate zone.  ???

To make things different. The Older DS10A uses the Test button for registration and it is also the one that generated the ID.

sazzam

« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2011, 04:29:45 PM »

Hello Brian,

If I install the DS12A windows sensor on the bathroom window, will DS12A function well with extreme humidity? If not, is it better to install on the same window but from outside?

Thank you,

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »

Hello Brian,

If I install the DS12A windows sensor on the bathroom window, will DS12A function well with extreme humidity? If not, is it better to install on the same window but from outside?

Thank you,

My $0.02

What does "extreme humidity" mean? Assuming "extreme humidity" does not mean you can shake moisture out of the sensor or big drops of moisture forms on the case, it should be OK for a while. But constant internal condensation will cause circuit board degradation after a while.

Is the window in the shower enclosure? If so, you might want to use an external magnetic switch and mount the DS12A in a dryer area of the bathroom.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »

The external Zone on the DS12A is a separate zone from the internal one.
I have a few DS12As mounted on a wall and an external magnetic switch.
Just registered the external one and left the internal one unregistered. Even have its magnet in the shipping box unused.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.