Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RF Range for MS16A  (Read 5355 times)

bdbx18

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
RF Range for MS16A
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:50:35 PM »

So I have my CM15A and XTB-IIR all up and running.  I bought a bunch of switches, some SR227s and a bunch of MS16As.  Of course, I'm now discovering the CM15's RF range is eh, lacking.  Or the MS16's tx range is.

After researching the v572, I now realize that it hooks up to a PSC05 (which I don't have) or directly to the XTB-IIR (which I have).  However, my XTB-IIR is literally jammed inside the breaker box.  It would not be feasible to run the v572's phone wire to the breaker box where the XTB-IIR is.  There is also no room in there for me to plug the CM15 either so it sits in the interior.

I'm going to try the antennae's mods to the CM15 and the MS16 this weekend but I don't hold out too high hopes for them.

So I'm thinking of (a) ponying up for a v572 and the required PSC05.  Question is whether the PSC05's PLC will cause any problems with the XTB-IIR's PLC interface?

Option (b) is to just get (up to 3) RR501s for the local area where the MS16s were going to be.  Which I presume would not cause any problems with the XTB-IIR?

What say the experts here?

thanks a bunch.

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: RF Range for MS16A
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:21:56 PM »

I did the F connector mod with the eggbeater antenna. CM15 is in the basement,
antenna in the attic near the center of the house. Full coverage everywhere in my 2300 sq ft house.
Gets a little flaky in the garage around the metal doors, but otherwise, I love it. Even my DS10s are working everywhere.
Cost me a roll of RG6 that I already had, an F connector and I just made the antenna with some stripped leftover 14 awg copper.

You can also increase the range of the MS16 by adding a passive repeater. I had a couple with a 9" piece of coat hanger wire
glued to the side and it helped. Removed them after the cm15 mod though.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 07:42:43 PM »

I did the F connector mod with the eggbeater antenna. CM15 is in the basement,
antenna in the attic near the center of the house. Full coverage everywhere in my 2300 sq ft house.
Gets a little flaky in the garage around the metal doors, but otherwise, I love it. Even my DS10s are working everywhere.
Cost me a roll of RG6 that I already had, an F connector and I just made the antenna with some stripped leftover 14 awg copper.

You can also increase the range of the MS16 by adding a passive repeater. I had a couple with a 9" piece of coat hanger wire
glued to the side and it helped. Removed them after the cm15 mod though.
Two movie lines come to mind:
"Yes grasshopper...you have learned well." and
"The Force is strong in this one."    :)%
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:01:40 PM »

... my XTB-IIR is literally jammed inside the breaker box.  .......

What say the experts here?

thanks a bunch.

You really think this is a good idea?

B:(
 B:(
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:20:51 PM »

Whoa! XTB-IIR stuffed INSIDE the breaker box? Is the CM15A stuffed inside there, too?
If that isn't a code violation, it really should be!

That type of setup really scares me. When I bought my XTB-IIR, Jeff's recommendation was to install a dedicated 240V outlet, and wire up a plug to the XTB-IIR. That way, it is easy to disconnect if needed.

I strongly recommend moving the XTB-IIR outside of the breaker box, and wiring it up properly to a dedicated double-pole 220V breaker.
Once that is done, I suggest starting with the simplest of the CM15A antenna mods - the "passive reflector." Cut a straightened coat-hanger, or other similar wire (I used #12 electrical wire for mine) to 18.5 inches. Attach it alongside the CM15A's antenna, lining the bottom end of the wire up with the "elbow" at the bottom of the antenna. DO NOT make an electrical connection between the two. The additional wire acts as a reflector, catching the X10 signals, and bouncing them to the CM15A's antenna.

If that doesn't help enough, you might want to try the "F connector" mod, along with one of the other antennas.

bdbx18

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 02:10:46 PM »

I had to cajole the electrician to come back out at no charge to remove the XTB-IIR from the break box.  I did give him a veiled threat that a licensed electrician should have known codes better.  Whether he keeps his word or not, we shall see.

Last night, I tried the simple hanger wire mod with the CM15 but nope, it didn't really yield much of a boost.

After several email exchanges with Jeff, I've decided to relocate the XTB-IIR next to the unused 240v dryer receptacle down in my laundry room.  Then I'll get a v572 installed next to it and plug the CM15 into it as well.  I doubt the MS16 near the distant garage (to turn on pathway lights) will get to the v572 so I may end up with at least one rr501 over there as well.

bdbx18

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »

Once that is done, I suggest starting with the simplest of the CM15A antenna mods - the "passive reflector." Cut a straightened coat-hanger, or other similar wire (I used #12 electrical wire for mine) to 18.5 inches. oesn't help enough, you might want to try the "F connector" mod, along with one of the other antennas.

Hey, my notes says the wire for the CM15 is supposed to be 9.25".  Is it 18.5"?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 02:19:31 PM »

If you tape the 18.5" wire to the original one. At the elbow where it exits the CM15A. About 9.25" will extend past the original antenna tip. The other 9.25" will be capacitive coupling the signal to the original wire inside the tube.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 02:26:12 PM »

I had to cajole the electrician to come back out at no charge to remove the XTB-IIR from the break box. 

Did you have the CM15A plugged into it INSIDE the breaker box?
From my experience, you will get the best results from the XTB-IIR if you plug the CM15A into the front of it (directly, or via an extension cord - as I have done).  That way, all PLC commands sent form the CM15A are blasted to both phases at the same time, AND all other PLC signals on either phase get pushed back to the CM15A.

To allow me to keep my CM15A plugged into the PC, I put a long extension cord between the XTB-IIR and the CM15A, and located the CM15A near my PC. Using the "passive reflector" mod, I can reach the CM15A from anywhere in my house (about 2800 sq feet, one story with a basement), with the CM15A located downstairs at one end of the house.

Hey, my notes says the wire for the CM15 is supposed to be 9.25".  Is it 18.5"?
The antenna wire in the CM15A (including the part that is inside the case), is a 9.25" quarter-wave antenna. The 18.5" wire taped alongside the unit is a half-wave reflector. At least that's the way I understand it.

bdbx18

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »

If you tape the 18.5" wire to the original one. At the elbow where it exits the CM15A. About 9.25" will extend past the original antenna tip. The other 9.25" will be capacitive coupling the signal to the original wire inside the tube.

Oh, I missed the fine detail on that one.  Perhaps that's why my mod isn't a mod yet.  Thanks!  I'll try it again tonight.

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 02:32:46 PM »

A quick range extender for a CM15 is to simply take some insulated wire (lots of it) , like a strand of Ethernet wire and coil it round and around and all over the little stubby CM15 antenna.

Amazing, but it works.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.