Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AHP computer running 24-7 ?  (Read 10109 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: AHP computer running 24-7 ?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 11:07:46 PM »

Hey Dave, maybe the only thing cheaper here than where you live.  In northern California I pay $.12233

Well apparently I am mistaken. Guess I am getting (?) to the age where I shouldn't trust my memory. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 06:52:40 PM »

Dave... buddy... GETTING ?  :' 

Seriously, in the Sierra where my electric rates are the highest, I pay in 3 tiers... 9 cents then 22 cents, then 34 cents. You really have to use a lot to get to the final punitive tier, which I recall may be 43 cents. So that may be what you heard about rates.

Chris

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 09:31:59 PM »

I have a refrigerator and a freezer that eats more kilowatts than the PC that has AHP on it that runs 24/7/365.  I live in Baltimore where I pay 10.8 cents per KW winter rates, summer rates are 11.4 per KW. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

phongluu

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 11:44:05 PM »

Or u can search for WYSE model.
I got myself a small model WYSE: 1Ghz, 512MB Ram, running on a 512MB flash with WinXPe.
It seems the most green comp I found around and I have been using it for my AHP got last 2 years w/o any hiccup.
AHP with most of plugins, except of Video plugin, I cannot seem get it to work with WinXPe.

P.L

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 09:28:44 AM »

Side issue on the rates: Are you quoting all-in rates? Here in Ontario we are on Time of Use billing which varies from 5-7-10 cents based on three periods of the day. It may sound good but all kilowatts are subject to line loss,transmission and Hydro debt retirement charges which brings the true cost between 20 and 22 Cents. We also pay more base costs if we use more than 800 kw per month.

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »

I run a weather station that uploads to Weather Underground, and I run a small weathercam server app on a Dell D610 laptop that was given to me.
  I also run AHP on the same machine.
  It has 1G ram and a 250 M harddrive.
  The weather station app writes to the harddrive every 10 seconds so it never spins down.
  I used to use a cheap, stripped down desktop for everything before the laptop was given to me.
  I do have a kill-a-watt meter and did some power testing and the laptop won out.
  The desktop draws 102 VA and 65 watts (no monitor)
  The laptop draws 70 VA and 28 watts (no monitor)
  The advantage of using a laptop is that you have built in battery backup, and don't need a UPS.
  The weather station (Davis Vantage Pro2) has battery backup also.
  The only thing that does NOT is the network switch, but uploads to Weather Underground resume when power is restored anyway.
  The Kill-A-Watt is is great tool to see just how much power is consumed by all your appliances!  I have the EZ model (a little more expensive), but it calculates what the cost to operate the device is by hour/day/month/year, so you have a good idea!  I found it at HomeD for the cheapest, but there may be cheaper yet.
  The only thing I wonder about is the reliablity of using a laptop 24/7.  The fan and heatsink needs to be cleaned regularly as they do get clogged by dust very easily.
  They are designed to run warmer than a desktop, but the issue I have is the 24/7/365.
  I would think a notebook or a newer laptop would draw even less, but I still wonder about leaving it on all the time.
  I will just have to see how long it lasts.  Any input on longevity of a laptop or notebook???
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:51:37 PM by pomonabill221 »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.