Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which filter do you recommend?  (Read 8903 times)

Fan of Zappa

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Which filter do you recommend?
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:57:34 PM »

Which filter do you recommend?

ACT Af120 - 15 amp plug in - nice and easy!  ;D
XFP - 20 amp wired in, but do I wire at  breaker box or at receptacle? Will it fit in receptacle?
XPPF - 5 amp plug in - easy but may not be enough for entertainment room.
XPNR - wired but may be small enough to put in receptacle box. Does it work?, no current rating, sends noise to neutral.
or a combination of all?  :-\

I am thinking :

entertainment room: on one receptacle I have the CM15a, 2 computers, shared printer, scanner, a 42" LCD TV, Surround amp, DVD player, VCR (yea, I know LOL). There is a lot on the receptacle, but have never tripped the 20 amp breaker.

upstairs bedroom 1: a surge suppressor - With surge suppressor plugged in, no X10, unplug it, x10 works - I believe I can solve with XPPF

upstairs bedroom 2: kids computer - With kids computer plugged in, no X10, unplug it, x10 works - I believe I can solve with XPPF

Entertainment room: I haven't checked it out yet, but at 15 amps I am thinking the af120 is my best bet.

Any suggestions?

Bob
Fan of Zappa - His music was way before it's time and died way before his time!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Which filter do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:16:31 PM »

AF120 is a nice filter and has an external fuse on the chance you did overload it.
XPF is quite large and I believe needed a three gang electrical box to fit in.
XPPF is rated for five amps but don't push it to five as it will get warm and kind of smell.

The Smarthome 1626-10 Ten amp FilterLinc works well and has an unfiltered  pass through outlet on the front.
I use one on my APC BX1000 UPS that runs my computer equipment and have my 2413S Insteon/X10 PLM power line interface in the pass through outlet.

One thing to remember is to NOT filter the CM15A as you don't want to filter out the X10 transmit and receive power line signals.

Fan of Zappa

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:05:37 AM »

Thank you Brian. I will check it out.

Fan of Zappa

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 01:15:18 PM »

I purchased four XPPFs. I put one each on the problem lines in the bedrooms. Worked like a champ!  :)% Then In the entertainment room I seperated the power into two groups -:) : Entertainment and computers. I installed a XPPF on each line. Again it worked like a champ.  :)% I now have no dead areas in my home! Thanks guys!  >!

Bob

TwinCreeks

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 03:34:25 PM »

I purchased four XPPFs. I put one each on the problem lines in the bedrooms. Worked like a champ!  :)% Then In the entertainment room I seperated the power into two groups -:) : Entertainment and computers. I installed a XPPF on each line. Again it worked like a champ.  :)% I now have no dead areas in my home! Thanks guys!  >!

Bob

I share your experience. I purchased three XPPFs to isolate my flat screen tv, desktop UPS, and laptop power supply. Problem solved!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:42:33 PM »

I have seen reports that the XPPFs are very good at noise reduction. As long as you don't push them too had and they get warm or smell warm.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 09:19:43 PM »

I'm using a few Smarthome FilterLinc filters, and they seem to do the trick for me.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 04:04:31 PM »

I had a problem with things not working when a certain power strip was plugged in.  If I unplugged it, things worked fine.  If I plugged in the appliances directly into the wall, things worked fine.  The solution was simply to replace the power strip.  Cheap, easy, and available locally.

Fan of Zappa

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 12:52:44 PM »

Hey guys!

It looks like my wallet is becoming lighter and lighter these days purchasing filters to improve the reliability of my CM15a and AHP. I have been surfing this board and want your input on a XTB-IIR. The 30 volt signal output should replace any and all needs for filters, is this correct? My home is a tri-level with no room to put these wired in filters. The wall warts work on the TVs and such but I would like to eliminate them as well. I have completed a mod on the CM15a antenna and that has allowed me to eliminate the TM715 in the garage. But the filter thing is killing me. Should I purchase a XTB-IIR or filters? The cost would be about the same and if the XTB-IIR works as advertised it would be the better buy. Any thoughts?

Bob

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »

XTBIIR !!!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »

The XTB-IIR should get the signals to your devices.
Though a real stubborn sucker or noise make may still need a filter.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »

Keep in mind that you will need to add a dedicated double-pole breaker for the XTB-IIR.

chuckX10

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 03:45:53 PM »

I had Devices not turning off, intermittently working, and not working at all (I did know it was because the units were on the 2 different phases).

I am using AHP with a CM19 and using two house codes.

I don't have any filters installed yet.

I purchased the XTB-IIR 120/240V 60Hz 2-phase Assembled from Jeff Volp 2 weeks ago.

ALL my problems have disappeared !

I like solving problems and playing around with X-10, but believe me it's much more enjoyable when it's ALL working !

Thanks Jeff

Chuck

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »

I had Devices not turning off, intermittently working, and not working at all (I did know it was because the units were on the 2 different phases).

I am using AHP with a CM19 and using two house codes.

I don't have any filters installed yet.

I purchased the XTB-IIR 120/240V 60Hz 2-phase Assembled from Jeff Volp 2 weeks ago.

ALL my problems have disappeared !

I like solving problems and playing around with X-10, but believe me it's much more enjoyable when it's ALL working !

Thanks Jeff

Chuck

The only other thing you should do is get the CM15A interface and get rid of the CM19.  The CM19 needs a transceiver, either a TM751 or a RR501 to convert the RF signals to powerline signals to make modules work while the CM15A does both jobs.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

chuckX10

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 10:17:17 PM »

I'm using two TM751s now.

Just Bought a CM15a with a Coaxial antenna mod.

Will try it out next week when I get the proper USB cable to connect it

Chuck
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.