Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15a not responding from HR12A remote control  (Read 4854 times)

Beetlebug

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15a not responding from HR12A remote control
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:47:09 AM »

Hello all. This is my first post to the forums, but a veteran of using of X-10 products. Nothing fancy, just posting one of many questions I have, ok?   Scenario:   Working CM15a control module, HR12a hand held transmitter unit. Here's the deal. I have been using HR12a transmitters with the CM15a controller since it was deployed. All my old style, rocker switch remotes work great sending commands to the cm15a. A couple years ago, I found a special package deal on the X-10 store where I purchased, among other devices, 10 HR12a remotes all at once, same shipment, ok?  I started to try them out, and learned that only 4 of the 10 units would get a response from the cm15a! So, before I sent the "defective" remotes back, I plugged in a TM751 RF controller module and tried the remotes with it. WALLA! ALL remotes operated it just fine!  Yes, all set to same house code, unit number and used an appliance module with a simple lamp to test with.  What would cause only some of the newer HR12a's to work, and others not?????? I called X-10 and they just said send back the ones that don't work and they will replace them. So I did. Sent back the 4 the didn't work the cm15a, got back 4 new ones. Now 2 of the 4 new ones worked! LOL. This is nuts! Any answers? I have a bunch more questions too, but will address them in another post. Thanks! javascript:void(0);

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM15a not responding from HR12A remote control
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »

The CM15A does not have a good track record for good RF remote reception. That is why we have many antenna mods for the CM15A.
It maybe possible the TM751 was receiving the HR12As while the CM15A was missing them.

Try rotating the House Code Dial a few time on the HR12As that seem to be bad. Then retest. Not too common, but sometimes the dials are dirty and the code being used is not what the dial says.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:59:30 AM »

Brian beat me to the punch, but here are a few questions, for some clarification:

1) Do ALL of the remotes work with the TM751?
2) Are you trying ALL of the remotes in the same location?
3) Are you trying the exact same commands with all the remotes?
4) Are you testing the TM751 in the same outlet as the CM15A?
5) How far away from the CM15A are you trying the remotes?
6) Do all of the remotes have fresh batteries? Have you tried swapping batteries from one of the "bad" remotes into a "good" remote and testing again?

As Brian stated, the CM15A is known  to have much more limited RF reception range than the TM751 or the RR501 transceivers.
There are mods you can do (both invasive and non-invasive) to boost your RF reception range.

If all of the remotes work fine using the TM751, but only some are being picked up by the CM15A under identical test conditions (same codes, same location, same batteries), then you may have bad remotes.
However, I'd venture to guess there are other variables at play here (the CM15A's limited RF range being the biggest), and you might be able to solve the issue by trying to fix the CM15A first.

There are a number of threads here discussing the various modifications that you can do to improve your CM15A's RF range. The simplest involves taping a wire to the outside of the unit (no soldering involved - and does not void the warranty). The most complicated involves opening up the unit, soldering in a connector, and then building an external antenna. There are some solutions in between those two, as well.

A quick search of the forums should give you plenty of information on the subject.  

Beetlebug

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:12:46 PM »

Oh wow! You folks really monitor this!  OK, I tried to keep a tight ship on testing these.  Range is not issue. I can b 2 feet away from cm15a and HR12a wont operate it. New batteries, same house code unit code etc. Like I tried to say, SOME HR12a's will work, some wont. ALL of my old style rocker switch remotes work fine! Seems an issue with transmit frequency or something like that. Funny that ALL remotes WILL operate the TM751's old and new style units! I was worried that this will confuse some people. X-10 support is totally clueless as usual. I'd even be willing to send to anyone that requests it, a NON functioning remote to test on their own CM15a computer module! Non functioning means remote WILL operate a TM751 but NOT the CM15a Thanks!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:04:18 PM »

On the bottom of the remote.
What is the FCC ID number on them and are they all the same.
I found a Palm Pad with a B4SHR13A on it. In the FCC data base. Used a SAW device for frequency determination and not the older LC tuned network that can go off frequency. Like the B4SSR12A does.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 01:16:42 PM »

Within 2 feet of the CM15A, the remotes should all work.
However, it may be a combination of imprecise tuning on the remote's transmit frequency, and imprecise tuning on the CM15A's receiver.

If the TM751 works, then the simplest answer is just to use the TM751 as your receiver.
However (before everyone jumps down my throat on this one), you should know that the TM751 is not "polite," and might step on commands being issued by the CM15A on the powerline.
The better solution (other than trying to see if X10 will replace your CM15A with a new one) would be to use an RR501, which IS "polite," and shouldn't step on the CM15A's commands.

Beetlebug

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 02:12:41 PM »

Hello Brian H.   OK, so far your answer seems to make the most sense here. Tuning frequency. All my HR12a's have the FCC ID of B4SSR12A. I took one of these things apart looking for a tuning coil, but could not find any way to tune it. I guess it's hit and miss with many X-10 products. Been reading forums and discovering all sorts of sneaky things the folks @ X-10 do and let us users figure it out, like the famous soft start mod in the latest CM15a controller software giving people fits (me as well) with the OLD style non soft start lamp modules! LOL. Now you say, getting the latest CM15a MAY fix the issue with some remotes not talking to it? OMG.  I just bought a new soft start lamp module just to see how it works! All my antique modules don't have it. Thanks again Brian. Do you mind if I address you with some other issues in the near future? Like how to get my Vangard zoom pan and tilt cam to work via internet? Had camera for 4 years and never got it to work over the internet! Some issue with port forwarding configurations and stuff like that that no one seems to know about. I have a FTP file server on my system that can be accessed over the net with out any issues! Thanks!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.