Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Water leak detection  (Read 3688 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Water leak detection
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:23:32 PM »

I know there are a bunch of threads about this already, but I was curious if anyone has tried the Welleman detector?  It's available in a kit so it doesn't require disassembling of another device to get it going.  Here's a link to AllElectronics.com:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/MK-108/WATER-ALARM-KIT//1.html

I'm mainly interested in if the water sensor is usable or junk.  Seems like this would be an easy way to get the door/window sensor or power flash hooked up.  Any thoughts?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Water leak detection
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »

The Velleman web site has the kits details including the assembly manual and schematic. If you care to look at it first.
http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=350683

Looks like it could be interfaced with a powerflash module as the Darlington transistor switches the 9 volt battery voltage to the sounder on the board. Probably can switch the  9 volts to the powerflash set to voltage input mode.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:43:50 PM by Brian H »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »

It looks like the leak detector is really just 2 open contacts on the board that are bridged by water.  If so, couldn't a powerflash with 2 open leads be used?  When the leads touch water, the contact is closed and a signal is sent, right?  I guess I'm not sure what makes these boards work since I haven't dissected any yet.  I know my water heater sometimes leaks a little out the PRV, so I'd like to know when to make sure it doesn't cause an issue.  I may just add an expansion tank, but I'm not sure it's a consistent problem yet.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:44:30 AM »

The board does look like it has a set of contact pads on the bottom edge and can be separated from the main board. With a two conductor wire soldered between them. If desired.
The darlington transistor takes the small voltage from the contacts when wet and amplifies it. The transistor turns on the sounder. It has a DC gain of 30,000 {from a spec sheet.}
I ordered one of the kits today and will post findings when I get it.

Could you just use a pair of wires between the Powerflash's inputs to trigger it when wet. I kind of doubt it.
Would depend on how conductive the water was. So it could provied enough current through the inputs to trigger it.
An electronic circuit maybe needed to get the Powerflasher to trigger from a wet sensor.

I tried a Flood Stop Moisture Sensor from another experiment I was doing. Alone on the Powerflash's Input. It would trigger it sometimes but not 100% reliable. This was with the first 2" dipped in a cup of water.
http://www.getfloodstop.com/product_p/xs-01.htm

I had used the amplification part of this project with the Flood Stop Sensor. Triggering an Insteon IOLinc but a Powerflasher may also be possible.
http://www.gardnerswebsite.com/ds10a/index.html
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:14:32 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »

My All Electronics order arrived today.
I will be playing with the MK108 shortly.

Yes the water probe part of the PCB is a set of pads near the bottom edge. It has a silk screened line on it where you could cut it off and add a set of wires between the main board and the sensor part. Using the optional solder pads on them.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.