Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Macro Trigger Problems  (Read 17731 times)

Billaban

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Macro Trigger Problems
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:31:49 PM »

Having trouble getting any macros to execute  ???.  Running the latest AHP (3306) on a Win7 system and also tried reverting to my XP "vintage" system. Same behavior in both contexts.  Everything works fine if I manually trigger.  I have tried both using a unused x10 address "off" for triggering and using the security mode, i.e., DS10A state closed.  No joy.  Using the activity monitor (yes, it seems to work fine for me) and nothing is being broadcast when the macro(s) should trigger.  Just trying to setup simple date/time constraint light controls while on vacation.  Eliminated the date aspect and currently just using time windows and can't get any of the aforementioned to trigger. B:(

Currently baffled and looking for suggestions.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Macro Trigger Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »

3.310 is now the latest AHP.
Available here:
http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm

bt54

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:30:42 AM »

I'm using the latest Smart Macros's, AHP and Win7.  I am having the exact same problem.  When I add any time condition other than Dusk to Dawn the macro's fail.  Even Dusk to Dawn fails as it does not constrain time - it's always on.
If it doesn't work get a BIGGER hammer!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »

I'm using the latest Smart Macros's, AHP and Win7.  I am having the exact same problem.  When I add any time condition other than Dusk to Dawn the macro's fail.  Even Dusk to Dawn fails as it does not constrain time - it's always on.
Have you checked both the Hardware configuration, and the time and timezone in your windows installation, to make sure they are correct?
Do the Dusk/Dawn times in the Hardware configuration screen match up with the correct times for your location?

One other thing to keep in mind, is that you can't test the conditions by triggering the macro from within the software. Clicking on the macro in the software will ignore the conditions.
If this is what you have been doing, then it could explain what you are seeing. Try triggering them from a hand-held remote, or from a separate plug-in controller.

The developers were unable to reproduce this problem on their own, so I will let them know about this thread.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:08:44 AM by Noam »

bt54

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »

I called X10 and they told me that it is a defective CM15A controller.  I have a replacement on order.  I'll update as soon as it arrives.
If it doesn't work get a BIGGER hammer!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 01:58:42 PM »

I called X10 and they told me that it is a defective CM15A controller.  I have a replacement on order.  I'll update as soon as it arrives.
That seems strange to me, but I guess you can see if that fixes it. There were a number of people who reported the same issue, some of them saying it never worked on their system.
I wonder if it could have been a bunch of bad units this whole time.
Keep us posted, because if the replacement unit solves the issue, I'm sure the developers would like to know that.

Billaban

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 07:59:47 AM »

Have you checked both the Hardware configuration, and the time and timezone in your windows installation, to make sure they are correct?
Do the Dusk/Dawn times in the Hardware configuration screen match up with the correct times for your location?

Yes, this all correct.

Try triggering them from a hand-held remote, or from a separate plug-in controller.

There is part of the issue.  The only trigger should be crossing a date/time threshold.  My understanding (which perhaps is erroneous) is that you can stooge the trigger paradigm by simply setting the macro trigger to OFF for a unused address, e.g., I am using P1.  However if a message P1 OFF needs to be generated in order to trigger the macro then that would explain a lot.  Seems like I had macros working some time ago for this same purpose of date/time based light control while away from home.  Maybe it never actually worked.....

Still looking for insight....

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:01:14 AM »

My understanding (which perhaps is erroneous) is that you can stooge the trigger paradigm by simply setting the macro trigger to OFF for a unused address, e.g., I am using P1.  However if a message P1 OFF needs to be generated in order to trigger the macro then that would explain a lot.  Seems like I had macros working some time ago for this same purpose of date/time based light control while away from home.  Maybe it never actually worked.....

Still looking for insight....
I'm not sure what you mean.
Macros can be set to be triggered by only one address, and either an "On" or an "Off" on that address. You can have two separate macros on the same address, one for the "on" and one for the "off." They do not interact with each other at all.
When triggering a conditional macro from a hand-held remote, or some other powerline controller (or a timer), they will evaluate the conditions, and execute if the conditions are met.
When you run them from within the AHP software, conditons are ignored, and the commands will always run.

Billaban

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 09:28:04 AM »

OK.  Apparently I wasn't clear. I was trying before I went of vacation to simply setup several macros within AHP.  These macros would execute simply based on a date/time window, i.e., when i was away.  So the only real "trigger" is the date/time.  But you can't write a macro (at least I don't think you can) with defining a x10 address trigger (I'm ignoring the security triggers).  So some time ago (like years) I believe I had these same macros working by using a otherwise unused address, i.e., P1, and the OFF state.

Now I'm wondering if this ever really worked and if not how would any macro ever work without a discrete x10 event/msg trigger? ??? 

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »

OK.  Apparently I wasn't clear. I was trying before I went of vacation to simply setup several macros within AHP.  These macros would execute simply based on a date/time window, i.e., when i was away.  So the only real "trigger" is the date/time.  But you can't write a macro (at least I don't think you can) with defining a x10 address trigger (I'm ignoring the security triggers).  So some time ago (like years) I believe I had these same macros working by using a otherwise unused address, i.e., P1, and the OFF state.

Now I'm wondering if this ever really worked and if not how would any macro ever work without a discrete x10 event/msg trigger? ??? 
Okay, now I'm REALLY not sure what you are trying to do.
How are you trying to get the macros to run?
You can trigger them with timers, so they execute at a certain time/day of the week. You can set a specific date range when the timers will run, as well.
However, they don't just run on their own.
You can ONLY write macros to trigger based on an X10 address. That's how they work.

Billaban

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 03:16:53 PM »

Apparently I need to go back and review the documentation that I haven't looked at in years. :-\

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 06:11:06 PM »

Noam,

Can't you just write a macro and then assign a timer to it in the GUI?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »

Noam,

Can't you just write a macro and then assign a timer to it in the GUI?
Yes, but you still need to give it a trigger address.

delibaker

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 12:00:15 AM »

Define an 2-pin appliance module with an unused address such as P1 and set timers for it to turn on specific dates and times.  Create a macro P1 with the on condition and set the steps to perform according to what you want to accomplish, just begin the macro with a delay of 1 - 2 seconds.  If needed set up off timers for the appliance module and create macros with the off condition.  Lastly, be sure you check the box in Tools/Preferences/Multiple modules can use same address.

HTH,

DeliBaker

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 01:20:22 AM »

AHP version 3.315 was released this past Thursday (6/9/2011), and is supposed to have a fix for the time-based macro conditions.
Please try it out, and report back here.

--Noam
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.