Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bathroom fan control  (Read 13306 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Bathroom fan control
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »

Yeah that will work.

Using the relay N.C. contacts to short across the speed control would eliminate the N.O. connection.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 05:37:38 PM »

I just realized that the easiest way to mount this thing is to simply drill a small hole in the fan motor bracket and stick the rotary knob through.  I'll install the relay on the back side with the wiring of the speed controller (which is where all the other wiring already resides), and just have the speed controller knob exposed.  That way, I can pull down the light cover and adjust the fan speed with very minimal effort if I find the speed needs adjustment/fine tuning.  That will work much better than having to remove the whole assembly.

Thanks for all the input!

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 12:20:07 AM »

Sounds like you have it planned out nicely!
  You took into account accessability for the speed control, while keeping the installation neat!  #:)
Glad we were able to help, and I hope that it works the way you want it to!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 01:04:24 AM »

I picked up the speed control from Lowes this evening and was able to test it out with the motor.  Looks like it will control things just fine.  The wiring is all accessible at the wire nuts, so I can simply wire things up without damaging anything for the warranty.  The only thing that may be an issue is that the fan controller will be in the air flow.  I'm not sure I want that, so I may have to mount it on a bracket on the front.  Not a huge thing, but something I'll have to work through.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »

Just to finish this thread off...

I installed the fan controller and relay last night.  I did have to add a couple washers as spacers for the light dome to clear the speed controller, but otherwise everything else fit up nicely!  I tried it out this morning and wasn't sure the slower fan speed made much difference in either fan noise or shower air temperature.  I had my wife turn off the shower light so the fan would kick on full speed and...WOW, It got cold in there quick!

Also, I figured we might have a problem with steam building up during an extended shower.  Well, my wife and I both showered and the mirrors and sky lights were still clear of steam!  So, I think this should work nicely!  I even got credit for at least some WAF.

Thanks for the suggestions.   >!

pomonabill221

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 09:19:12 PM »

Thank you for updating us on your speed control project!
  I am glad to hear that everything is working for you!
Congratulations!!!!   >! #:) :)% :)%

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 12:44:53 AM »

My biggest concern was that the there would be a bunch of rattling from the added wires.  In the end, I don't hear anything so I'm pretty happy.  I had expected to need to add double sided and electrical tape in strategic locations to subdue any issues.  Maybe the fan doesn't vibrate as much as I thought so it doesn't cause issues.  Either way, not only am I happy, but more importantly, my wife is too.  SWEEEEEEET!   :)%

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »

Duct tape, super glue, and ty-wraps can fix anything...even rust on the rear quarter panel, just ask Red-Green.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 05:14:03 PM »

After having this setup installed for a few days, I can already determine there is a slight issue I wasn't expecting.  Apparently, my wife doesn't usually switch the shower light off until she leaves the bathroom.  I'm not sure why, but I've seen her do it 2 of the last 4 days already, so I don't think it's uncommon.  If the fan is set at the lower speed during a shower, it will require longer to clear the shower itself from humid air (the bathroom doesn't get steamy as long as the fan is on even minimally).

Looks like this will require some training of the operators to work as designed.  The house is smarter, but the occupants seem to be lagging.   rofl

pomonabill221

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »

Lagging... LOL!!!
  Sounds like the majority of the problem has been resolved though! #:)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 10:59:01 AM »

HAHA!  My wife was quick to point out when I went to brush my teeth this morning....that the light was off in the shower. :)%

pomonabill221

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »

Good Girl!!!!  We are PROUD!  :)% :)% rofl
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.