Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: General questions about sc1200  (Read 4194 times)

aptalca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
General questions about sc1200
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:23:47 PM »

Hi I am new to x10 and am considering getting the advertised 19 piece security deal (hopefully with the newer parts rather than old) but I have a few general questions about it. (Please bear with me because I have not used any other alarm systems either and do not know how they exactly work, but will be moving to a big city in a couple of months so I desperately need one. So this post is NOT about comparing it to other systems, but merely comparing it to how an alarm system should be in my head)

From what I have read, this is what I got, please correct me if I'm wrong. If the system is armed in away mode, all you need to enter the house is either:
1) Push disarm on the keyfob, and that way there is no need to enter the pin.
OR,
2) Enter the house (as long as an entry delay is set) and enter the pin on the console within the delay.

The problem with this setup is that, if I set a 1 min entry delay, that means when an intruder comes in, the alarm won't go off for 1 minute. That gives him enough time to barge in, grab whatever he sees, a laptop, a purse, etc., and run before even the alarm is set off. (A lot of robberies where I will be moving to happens that way, quick snatch and run) I thought the purpose of an alarm system was to shock the intruder as soon as they break in, so they decide to run before having grabbed anything.

A second problem is that if someone steals my fob, the alarm system is useless.

I guess in my head, an ideal solution would be a system where:
1) There is no entry delay when alarm is tripped, and
2) Remote fob starts an entry delay rather than disarming

That way, the intruder would be shocked immediately, and the theft of a fob does not render the alarm system useless, since you would still need to enter the pin.

Can this system be set up that way??

Also another question I have is, since the x10 communication is not secured, (meaning going up to somebody's house with an x10 remote, and as long as you set up the same house code, you can control their devices) can this security system be taken advantage of with another x10 remote or fob? (I am guessing not, since you have to program/install each fob/remote, but I just wanted to make sure)

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: General questions about sc1200
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/SecuriLINK_Home_Security_System

If you arm away the SC1200. Using the arm button on the keyfob. There is no entry delay. It goes off as soon as a zone is violated.

If you arm away from the console. There is a exit delay and entry delay. Entry delay is only from DS12A or DS10A set for maximum delay. Any one of them set minimum delay maybe a window. Sets off the alarm instantly on a zone violation. No matter how the arm away was set. I have not tested delays with a motion sensor. I have none installed yet.

Console Arm Home. Instant trigger no delay and motion sensors ignored as pointed out in the manuals.
Now the Delay switch on the SH624 effects how both arm home and arm away acts.

Can someone use a different keyfob and access your security console. No not unless it was registered to your console. Or luck of the draw it randomly generated the same code your is using.

Standard X10 remotes on the same house code maybe able to actuate your modules but not security things. As the SC1200 transceives the House Code set in it. My RR501 is now retired and the SC1200 is doing it for me.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:14:40 PM by Brian H »

aptalca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:42:33 PM »

Thank you so much Brian, that clears up a lot of my confusion. I will go ahead and order the system and join the x10 family

>!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:45:03 AM »

You may want to look at the "Whats Included" information on the order page.

X10 changes things from time to time. Sometimes the kits have the newer DS12A, DM18A and KR32A parts and other times the older DS10A, MS10A and KR10A parts.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.