Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: effective wireless range / module selection (2 way?)  (Read 11084 times)

freeballer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: effective wireless range / module selection (2 way?)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 02:29:29 AM »

I've been fairly disatisfied with the motion sensor range or the usb/x10. I briefly looked at the WGL V572 but
I need it to do some macro functions - so it need to be detected by activehome or similar. I also spliced together
a website for controlling my usb pro...

No matter where I place the x10 something isn't "covered". I put x10 in middle of home and two modules, put x10 on side wall and I can't get
the "door sensors" in range. They literally have 25-30ft range MAX. I already did the wound wire trick - nada. Two types of wires, one insulated and one not.
I may try the antenna trick posted but I was wondering about the antenna from TM751, or similar item at radioshack. Could those work at all?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 06:14:15 AM »

We have had members use an antenna from a TM751 or a Radio Shack one. With success.

I have done the 'F' connector mod to a CM15A and used an antenna from a V572 in the attic. That worked well also.
WGL sell replacement antennas as do some of their dealers.

Couldn't you use the X10 power line signals from the V572 to trigger the macros.
Thought I believe even when set to not transceive any house codes. RF signals received are still processed by the CM15A.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 10:36:37 AM »

No matter where I place the x10 something isn't "covered". I put x10 in middle of home and two modules, put x10 on side wall and I can't get
the "door sensors" in range. They literally have 25-30ft range MAX.
The wrapped wire mod should have made some detectable improvement, but 25 to 30 foot range with the un-modded CM15A is actually pretty good if transmitting through mutiple walls. That is one advantage to the "F connector" mod for the CM15A, or the WGL unit, in that it allows the antenna to be mounted in your attic (if you have one),  which puts the antenna above multiple layers of dry wall.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 10:43:16 AM »

The v572 receives rf signals and sends a powerline signal to AHP, which in turn runs your macros.  I have this setup and works very well.  Just thought I'd let you know.   >!
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »

I'm not sure what the "wrapped wire mod" you did is, but I had great success with the "18.5-inch reflector" mod.
I simply tapes an 18.5" length of insulated electrical wire (I think it was 12 gauge) alongside the CM15A's antenna, making the bottom of the wire even with the "elbow" at the bottom of the antenna. A few wraps of electrical tape holds the wire in place. There is no electrical connection to the CM15A's antenna, and it doesn't void the warranty, either.

For me, that seems to work incredibly well, and I get great coverage throughout my whole house. (I tested by using a PalmPad to activate a Chime module. The chime is loud enough to be heard throughout the house, so I could go room-to-room with the remote and test the RF receiver on the CM15A).

It took me only a few minutes to do the mod, and I was able to to remove the RR501 I had been using. 

freeballer

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »

I'll try that Noam. I just bought a chime for the door sensors.
Maybe I should try some different gauge wire and retry those wrap mods.

The problem with the range I mentioned was one was direct line of sight (same room, only 22ft),
the second had a few layers of drywall.

two questions about the V572:

If I chose to locate it in the attic will it effect it using a large extension cable (Powerline commands)? There are no outlets in attic so i'd need 30-40ft of wire minimum.
Will all traffic/macros be sent to the cm15a? I have some pc only macros for e-mailing and a abelcam plugin that works with my cm15a

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 12:59:28 PM »

I don't think it should, but I've never tried that.  I have mine in a utility room plugged into a XTBII that is wired straight to my breaker box.  Maybe some one can chime in and answer.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »

If I chose to locate it in the attic will it effect it using a large extension cable (Powerline commands)? There are no outlets in attic so i'd need 30-40ft of wire minimum.

If you are referring to the 4-conductor "telephone" cable between the V572A and the PSC05/TW523, there is no problem running that 40 feet.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 03:41:50 PM »

Maybe I should try some different gauge wire and retry those wrap mods.
two questions about the V572:

Will all traffic/macros be sent to the cm15a? I have some pc only macros for e-mailing and a abelcam plugin that works with my cm15a
You can use  18 -24ga stranded or solid. Nothing is critical other than the 18 inch length and even that is give or take an inch. The inductively coupled antenna extension really acts as is a test to see if a better antenna on the CM15A will help. Noams suggestion of an 18 inch rigid wire taped to the existing antenna will work as well if not better. If the test improves reception, then the WGL unit or the "F connector" mod will really improve reception.

I mounted my F connector modded  CM15A in a closet near my HA computer. Ran simple RG 6 coax with the last 18 inch of outer insulation and shield stripped away to make a crude 1/2 wave antenna, up through a hole in closet ceiling and attached the stripped antenna portion of the coax as high as I could in the attic. Installed an F connector on the closet end of the coax and connected to CM15A. Pretty easy, very cheap, and it trippled my range. A Palm Pad will work about 40 feet outside of home and anywhere inside. I did this "on the cheap" and used junk box parts. I suppose you could use BNC connectors and RG58 coax since the receiver in the CM15A is near 50 ohm input impedance, but it will  tripled the cost. Also the 1/4 wave ground plane antenna would  probably squeeze a few more yards out of the current range. This thread has some good antenna designs.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=12292.15
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=9470.90
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

freeballer

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 12:36:21 PM »

I'm still considering the f-mod or antenna swap. I tried the wire trick with 18g wire, and some thinner wire and had no luck.
I remembered using coathanger wire once for a makeshift antenna in my youth. So I cut the bottom part (which is almost exactly 18")
and ziptied it to the antennna. Once I adjusted it about 1/4 from bottom it started to get the signal from my motion sensor. Its seemed to give it around
10-20% better coverage so far.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.