Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting started with x10 system  (Read 7187 times)

jediagh

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
Getting started with x10 system
« on: June 12, 2011, 12:30:23 AM »

Hi all,

First post and a sorry for the slew of questions.  I am intrested in getting a x10 home security system. My windows and door count for my house is 13 (5 windows top level; 3 windows & 2 doors main level; and 1 window 2 doors lower level).

I think the following items would be OK to get me started.
25-piece SecuriLINK Home security for $179.99
- 12 Door/Window Sensor (DS10A)
- 2 Security Keychain Remote (KR10A)
- 1 Lamp Module (LM465)    
- 4 Home Security Decal - Window Sticker (MM024)
- 4 Security Motion Detector (MS10A)
- 1 Advanced SecuriLINK Security Console (SC1200)
- 1 Security Remote Control (SH624)

Looks like I would have to get one additional DS10A-SC (door/window sensor) and I would be set.

Now for my questions.  :)

Q1: Max # of units
How many devices can I add to the SC1200, Advanced SecuriLINK Security Console?
I am interested in getting 2 to 3 of the PowerHorn Remote 110 db (PH508-SC) units one for each level of the house.

My thinking is can I have the SC1200 be on silent mode and just allow the power horns to make the noise.  My concern is that if it is just the SC1200 making the noise if the intruder breaks it to silence it then that is the end of the "calling me" and alarm system.  So I would like to keep the unit out of sight and have it just call me and let the power horns do the noise making.

Q2: No Landline
I do not have a landline at home.  We use our cellphones for all calls.  I read that it might be possible to use some type of "box" to connect to the SC1200 and then via bluetooth has a cellphone make the calls for the SC1200.  If so what is this "magic box"?  My thinking is for an additional $5 a month I can add another phone to my family plan and then just leave this cell phone (on a charger always on) next to the box (xlink I think is what the box is called not sure) which is then connected to the SC1200.  Has anyone done this?  Does it work?

Q3: Security Remote Control (SH624)
I'm not sure what this device is for at all?  The SC1200 is the heart of the whole system correct?  It is the one that oversees all other devices, makes the call, can turn on/off the alarms, and is the "mic" that allows you to hear what is going on at home when the alarm triggers right.  So what is the purpose of the SH624?

Q4: Window breaking?
The DS10A sensors work when you open a window/door and the two sensor parts lose contact/sense with each other.  This works on the premises that you open a window/door.  However if one were to shatter the glass of a window (just not where the sensor is at) then the sensor will not trip.  So does the x10 system sell something to monitor a shatter window?  Or how can I monitor this?

Q5: Video system
I would like to add down the road some type of video surveillance that could get recorded onto a computer hard drive.  Does the SC1200 allow for this?  Say if you trip the alarm then the video cams turn on for "x" mins or until the alarm is turned off, etc.  Or would it have to be another stand alone system?

Anything I might be missing? Recommendations?  Things to avoid?  Newbie traps?
Thanks all!

--UPDATE--
This is the "box" that I was talking about that can be used to make your cellphone into a landline.
http://www.myxlink.com/xlink_bt.aspx
XLink BT Cellular Bluetooth Gateway
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:49:25 AM by jediagh »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Getting started with x10 system
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 09:59:23 AM »

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/SecuriLINK_Home_Security_System
The Quick Users Guide and Full Users Manuals are available in the above link.
30 wireless sensors zones. Any mix of DS10A,DS12A Door Window and MS10A, MS18A Motion sensors. Two additional Hard Wired Zones.
16 remotes

The SH624 is a tabletop style remote. It can arm and disarm the system. With or without an Exit delay. Controls a few X10 addresses to turn on and off modules in its address range.

X10 no longer makes a Glass break sensor but you maybe able to wire one in place of the magnetic switch on a DS10A if you had to. Note in the away mode a motion sensor would trigger if someone broke a window and entered the house. Motion sensors are disabled in the Home Armed mode so homeowners don't false alarm when home.

Powerhorns take a few seconds to trigger after an alarm, but the console can be silenced and they should still go off.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Security_Door/Window_Sensor
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Security_Motion_Sensor
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Security_Handheld_Remote_Control
ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ph508-is.pdf

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »

My advice is to carefully consider your requirements. Never pay the "discounted list" price on the site. Do take advantage of discounts  via x10 newsletter, package deals and/or facebook fan discount and  check out ebay for additional modules. Also take advantage of the 30 days no question asked return policy by allocating two Consecutive weekends to install.   Also make sure all the functions work before the 30 days. I had to RMA the SC1200 two times to make sure  all the functions worked properly (and I asked X10 for prepaid shipping labels or else I would have return everything)

I had 18 door/windows sensor as my initial requirements. Unfortunately the sc1200 can not reach the last  8 sensors for my 2000 sq ft single story house so I stopped at 10 door sensors.  I played games with passive antennas and repositioning the sc1200 with some success but could not for
the last 8 sensors. If this was hard  requirement, then I would have returned the package.  In retrospect 3 motion sensors was my "minimum" requirement as our neighborhood had daytime break ins. 

>Q2: No Landline
To date, if you want to be notified of break ins other than an alarm sound there is no other "practical" choice but  dedicated landline or voip. "Dedicated" because apparently there are issues using answering machines (search forums).

Some day  you might be able to receive an email/text message alert via X10SW (use search to find out more/ and being modified for the sc1200) but you will need dedicated pc, additional software and hardware from X10. Since I am going on long vacation soon, I bit the bullet wrote my own software tailored to my specific needs

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »

Q1: Max # of units
How many devices can I add to the SC1200, Advanced SecuriLINK Security Console?
I am interested in getting 2 to 3 of the PowerHorn Remote 110 db (PH508-SC) units one for each level of the house.

Q3: Security Remote Control (SH624)
I'm not sure what this device is for at all?  The SC1200 is the heart of the whole system correct?  It is the one that oversees all other devices, makes the call, can turn on/off the alarms, and is the "mic" that allows you to hear what is going on at home when the alarm triggers right.  So what is the purpose of the SH624?

Q5: Video system
I would like to add down the road some type of video surveillance that could get recorded onto a computer hard drive.  Does the SC1200 allow for this?  Say if you trip the alarm then the video cams turn on for "x" mins or until the alarm is turned off, etc.  Or would it have to be another stand alone system?

Q1 There is no limit to the number of powerhorns or lights, as long as they are all set to one of the two House Code/ Unit Codes the SC1200 can turn on during alarm.
Q5 Separate system. Although you could use the SC1200 triggered HC/UC during alarm to signal a recording to start (hacking involved).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

jediagh

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:47:33 AM »

My advice is to carefully consider your requirements. Never pay the "discounted list" price on the site. Do take advantage of discounts  via x10 newsletter, package deals and/or facebook fan discount and  check out ebay for additional modules. Also take advantage of the 30 days no question asked return policy by allocating two Consecutive weekends to install.   Also make sure all the functions work before the 30 days. I had to RMA the SC1200 two times to make sure  all the functions worked properly (and I asked X10 for prepaid shipping labels or else I would have return everything)

Do you know how I can get on the x10 newsletter?
Also the link or name on facebook of the fan discount page?

Thanks

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:30:55 AM »

>Do you know how I can get on the x10 newsletter?
>Also the link or name on facebook of the fan discount page?
You should be able to find references to both on the X10.com homepage.

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/X10network

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:35:22 AM »

The older X10 sales page has a place to sign up for the newsletter.
Also near the top left is a link to the present newsletter.
http://www.x10.com/homepage1.htm

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.