Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adding INSTEON Components to X10 System with AHP  (Read 9120 times)

tobor

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Adding INSTEON Components to X10 System with AHP
« on: June 05, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »

I have been using ActiveHome Pro with a CM15 to control only X10 switches and outlets for some time now but recently installed a few INSTEON relay on/off switches (model: 2876SB) to allow for installation of some CFL lights in the basement. These INSTEON relays switches are supposedly X10 compatible but I'm having trouble adding them to the network. The manual for these switches lists the procedure for assigning X10 addresses to the switches as:

• Set your INSTEON device to Linking Mode. (For most devices, press an On or Scene button for 10 seconds or the Set button for 3 seconds.)
    You will have 4 minutes to perform the next step before Linking Mode automatically times out.
  • Using an X10 controller, send the X10 address you want to assign followed by the ON command three times
    For example, to assign the address A1, you would send “A1 ON A1 ON A1 ON”.
  • Once the INSTEON device has received the preceding sequence three times, it should exit Linking Mode

I have no clue how to send 3 repeat "ON" commands using ActiveHome Pro however. I tried creating a macro that was 3 "ON" commands in a row with a small delay between each but the INSTEON relay just continues blinking.

How do I add an INSTEON module to my X10 network using ActiveHome Pro?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Adding INSTEON Components to X10 System with AHP
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »

Try setting up a chime module in AHP on the desired address.  Then, when you go to program the unit, hit the chime 3 times.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »

It's been my experience that Insteon requires a stronger X10 signal than X10 or X10 Leviton modules when receiving them.
Try setting the address with the Insteon module on the same circuit as your transceiver as all 3 signals may not be reaching
the module. I set up my Keypadlinc like this without issue, but where it is currently located, it transmits fine, but doesn't always receive like
my x10 or Leviton modules.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »

I have seen others use the Chime Module trick as Knightrider pointed out.

Since the Insteon modules are two way. They have a power line transmitter in them. They will absorb some of the X10 signals. So if that location has marginal signals it may have a problem.
As B. A. said try programming them in a different location. I have some older Rev 2.1s in my setup. Using both X10 and Insteon signaling.

The full 2476S Users manuals are here if you don't have a copy yet. Depends on the hardware revision you have.
http://wiki.smarthome.com/index.php?title=2476S_Manual

The dimmer type Insteon Modules don't act the same as X10 ones do. With regard to how they react to dim and bright signals and what the send back on the power line when locally activated.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 04:18:00 PM by Brian H »

tobor

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »

Thanks for the advice but so far no luck. I tried using the chime module to command 3 manual "ON" commands and also moved the CM15 controller to an outlet right next to the switches I'm trying to program. I've also tried programming 3 separate INSTEON relay switches all with no luck. Any other thoughts?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 06:16:32 AM »

Are you holding the on side of the paddle for tens seconds?
On the older revision modules the LED flashes when in the linking mode.

tobor

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »

I hold the "ON" (top) side of the paddle for 10 seconds at which point it beeps then the light flashes for about 3-4 minutes. While it's flashing I try to send the commands using an macro or the chime module. If I understand correctly, the INSTEON switch should stop flashing and perhaps even cycle the light it's connected to when it confirms the X10 address is assigned. I have yet to see any behavior like this.

Are there any limitations on what address I can send? Do I need to pick an address other than the switch that this relay replaced?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 05:58:01 PM »

When switch is in "regular" mode and you send a X10 command form the CM15A, does the LED blink?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »

Maybe the power line signal is just too low to be received properly by the switches. Do you have any transceivers and remotes you could try in a few outlets and see it they could then be programmed.

There should be no X10 address restrictions for the Icon or SwitchLinc Relay Modules.

Is the old switch still in AHP and was it a dimmer type?

If the old one was in a threeway setup where both switches changed?

Also if you have not done it yet. Try a factory reset on them as there have been modules shipped with TEST addresses in them by mistake.

I don't believe the Leds on the switch modules flash like they do on the plug in ones, when a power line signal is received.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:18:17 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 07:18:08 PM »

I don't believe the Leds on the switch modules flash like they do on the plug in ones, when a power line signal is received.

OK Thanks.

So we really don't know if the CM15A signal is getting to the 2876.

Tobor

Are you sure the outlet and the light are on the same breaker? It is not uncommon to seperate lighting circuits from outlets on the breaker panel.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

tobor

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 09:32:27 PM »

A coworker of mine dabbled in X10 a long while back but ran into nothing but problems so he now has a tub full of old X10 hardware he doesn't use. I told him my dilemma of trying to send sequential X10 commands to configure an INSTEON module and he gave me an ancient "plug 'n power remote control center" from Radio Shack which was exactly what I needed. I plugged this unit into the same outlet I tried the CM15 in, set the INSTEON switch to linking mode, then hammered the buttons repeatedly to send "B1 ON, B1 ON, B1 ON". The switch eventually stopped flashing and made a beep. Sure enough I could then send manual commands and the switch responded flawlessly.

It looks like my initial problems are solved but I've now run into another issue. These switches were originally operated using a Leviton Keypad (http://www.smarthome.com/4215WR/Leviton-16450-4AW-Keypad-3-Address-All-On-Off-White/p.aspx) to provide scene control or complete On/Off commands. Unfortunately the new INSTEON relay switches do respond to "ALL UNITS OFF" but will not respond to "ALL UNITS ON" commands. Is the problem whether or not the switches are considered "lights"? Is there a way to set these switches to be lights?

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 09:38:37 PM »

... It looks like my initial problems are solved but I've now run into another issue. These switches were originally operated using a Leviton Keypad (http://www.smarthome.com/4215WR/Leviton-16450-4AW-Keypad-3-Address-All-On-Off-White/p.aspx) to provide scene control or complete On/Off commands. Unfortunately the new INSTEON relay switches do respond to "ALL UNITS OFF" but will not respond to "ALL UNITS ON" commands. Is the problem whether or not the switches are considered "lights"? Is there a way to set these switches to be lights?
I think that is a limitation in the newer Insteon modules. I was told by Smarthome about a year ago that as they improve the Insteon units and add features, they cut back on the X10 functionality.
The "All Units ON" and "All Lights OFF" are part of the "Extended" command set. As far as I know, the Insteon modules won't respond to X10 Extended commands.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 06:17:41 AM »

There is NO X10 All Units ON.
There is a All Lights On the Insteon devices seem to ignore. They do respond to the All Units Off. Mine also ignore the least used All Lights Off.

Also the Insteon Dimmer type switches may not dim properly. PLM in the following data is their controller.
The PLM is based on an "old" x10 protocol similar to that used by the PCS Smartswitches. These devices used "preset Dim" and standard "Dim" commands.
X10 brand, Leviton, and other manufacturers conform to a "newer" X10 standard that uses "extended code Direct Dim" and standard "Dim" commands.
Most of these devices will not respond to the "preset Dim" commands available on the PLM.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:22:31 AM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 06:50:55 AM »

From my experience with the Insteon relay switches, I found that defining them as a "Florescent Decorator Switch" (from the "old lamps - no SoftStart" category) works best.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.