Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with Garage and UM  (Read 4283 times)

jayman13

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Help with Garage and UM
« on: June 17, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »

I install a universal module to the two screws on the right and can't get it to work.  Did I install it correctly?

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Help with Garage and UM
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 05:58:32 PM »

That depends.
A Universal Module would be used to open or close the door, using X10 commands.
It should be installed across the same two terminals you would use for a wall-mounted button to open or close the door.

1) If you touch the two screws together with a short wire, does that operate the door?
2) What mode did you set the Universal Module to?
3) How are you triggering the Universal Module?

jayman13

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:36:12 PM »

Thanks.  I'm kinda a newbie with this stuff.  I used a short wire and it worked when I connected the first two screws, not the last two.  Now everything is groovy.  Except I can install the DS10a yet.  I have a transceiver (tm751) plugged in and set to the house code that I want to control but on activehome it is not seeing a signal when I hit the test button.  Is it because I have a CM15a connected to my computer and not a CM19a?  Does that make a difference?  Thanks.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:50:42 PM »

Except I can install the DS10a yet.  I have a transceiver (tm751) plugged in and set to the house code that I want to control but on activehome it is not seeing a signal when I hit the test button. 
Can you explain that a little better?
Do you mean when you send an ON command from AHP the TM751 does not turn on?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

jayman13

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:01:18 PM »

Except I can install the DS10a yet.  I have a transceiver (tm751) plugged in and set to the house code that I want to control but on activehome it is not seeing a signal when I hit the test button. 
Can you explain that a little better?
Do you mean when you send an ON command from AHP the TM751 does not turn on?

I can tell the tm751 is turning on because I can here a click from it when I turn it on in AHP.  It's when I go to install the DS10a, in AHP I can't configure it after hitting test on the DS10a.  Is there something I'm missing?  Is it possible that the tm751 is not picking up the DS10a?  It's in the same room...

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 08:47:18 PM »

The TM751 will not receive the signal from the ds10a. You need the cm15a with the Onalert plug in.
And if you haven't researched antenna mods yet, ya better get started. The ds10 and the cm15 both have poor range out of the box.
You could also use a powerflash module or a modded msxxa motion sensor with magnetic contacts.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:53:59 PM by B.A. »

jayman13

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 09:30:23 PM »

The TM751 will not receive the signal from the ds10a. You need the cm15a with the Onalert plug in.
And if you haven't researched antenna mods yet, ya better get started. The ds10 and the cm15 both have poor range out of the box.
You could also use a powerflash module or a modded msxxa motion sensor with magnetic contacts.

Ah.  I have the cm15a with the Onalert plugin.  I assumed the TM751 could receive signals from the DS10a.  How do you use a powerflash module with the ds10a or do you just substitute the powerflash module for the UM on the garage?  Sorry for my ignorance.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 09:48:27 PM »

Ah.  I have the cm15a with the Onalert plugin.  I assumed the TM751 could receive signals from the DS10a.  How do you use a powerflash module with the ds10a or do you just substitute the powerflash module for the UM on the garage?  Sorry for my ignorance.
The CM15A.. with the OnAlert Plugin... should receive the DS10A signal just fine. The standard plug-in transceiver (TM751) won't. You can use the magnetic reed switch (like the one that comes with the DS10A) connected to the powerflash to detect the door position.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

jayman13

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 09:50:21 PM »

The CM15A.. with the OnAlert Plugin... should receive the DS10A signal just fine. The standard plug-in transceiver (TM751) won't. You can use the magnetic reed switch (like the one that comes with the DS10A) connected to the powerflash to detect the door position.

But the powerflash has to be plugged in, does it not?  I don't have an outlet close to where I want to put the DS10a...

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 01:31:51 AM »

You don't need the outlet close by.  You just need to run some thin wire like the stuff that is run to your garage door's wall switch.  18 to 20 GA wire should do.  Connect that wire from your magnetic reed switch to the powerflash module wherever you have it plugged in.  Though the DS10As are wireless, you need the OnAlert plugin to use them in that fashion being that the DS10A is a security module.

In my setup, I have 3 modules, one universal module for door activation, and two powerflash modules for door detection.  Though many in here only have one powerflash in their garage door setup, I have the two, one to indicate that the door is up, and one to indicate that it is down.  I did this because sometimes, for reasons unknown, one or the other powerflash modules would give a false indication in AHP (e.g. a sensor would not toggle).  So now I have my macros set up such that when I close the door, if the "garage door up" sensor did not toggle off, when the "garage door down" sensor triggers, it automatically tells AHP to trigger the "garage door up" sensor off.  It is the same scenario if I open the door.  Having the two PF modules for me is just a fail safe mechanism.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.