Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Decorator Dimmer Switch WS12A Issue  (Read 4991 times)

Yaron2

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Decorator Dimmer Switch WS12A Issue
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:03:04 AM »

I am a new member and just received my X10 lighting system in the mail yesterday.  I began installation and everything is going rather smoothly.  The two rooms I was able to get done last night work beautifully!  The only issue I am having is that all of the WS12A dimming switches that I am installing are able to be turned on and off from the switch and from my computer.  HOWEVER, whenever I turn a light off manually it does not reflect it as being off on the computer screen.  The computer still shows it as being on and vice versa if I turn a light on manually it will still show it as being off on the computer.  Any ideas???

Yaron2

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Decorator Dimmer Switch WS12A Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:26:24 AM »

I just called X10 and was told that this is normal and that they are in the process of trying to update the software to allow the switches to "talk" to the computer so that you will always be able to tell what lights are on simply by looking at your computer.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 11:05:23 AM »

Most X10 switches are receive only.  There is no way that just software changes will allow the computer to track their state when controlled locally.  It would require a hardware change to each switch that adds a transmitter to report the status.

Switches from some other manufacturers do include transmitters that will report the status, but they are much more expensive than the X10 switches.  As I recall, the Leviton dimmer that includes a status transmitter and a light bar brightness indicator is about $80 a pop.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:55:32 AM »

Most X10 switches are receive only.  There is no way that just software changes will allow the computer to track their state when controlled locally.  It would require a hardware change to each switch that adds a transmitter to report the status.

Switches from some other manufacturers do include transmitters that will report the status, but they are much more expensive than the X10 switches.  As I recall, the Leviton dimmer that includes a status transmitter and a light bar brightness indicator is about $80 a pop.

Jeff

X10 used to make some "two-way" switches, but I haven't looked for them in a while, so I don't know if they are still available.
Personally, I use Smarthome's Insteon switches, (most of) which are X10-compatible. They do transmit their status when you turn them on and off at the switch. They actually do this by sending the housecode/unitcode along with the appropriate "on" or "off" command. The added advantage is that if you have several switches on the same HouseCode/UnitCode, turning any one of them on or off will change the state of all of them.
Fore example, I use this with my outdoor lights. I have two switches for my outside lights, set to the same code. When I flip either one on, they both go on. When I flip either one off, they both go off. I find this very handy.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:07:29 PM by Noam »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »

I just called X10 and was told that this is normal and that they are in the process of trying to update the software to allow the switches to "talk" to the computer so that you will always be able to tell what lights are on simply by looking at your computer.
Don't hold your breath for this to happen soon.

As Noam has pointed out, his Insteon switches transmits an "ON" signal when the switch is turned on locally. This would show in the software right now...no software mod needed.

The problem is; no X10 manufactured modules are 2-way any more. They can not transmit back their status when switched locally.

I question whether X10 will start making 2-way modules again after cancelling them a few years back.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 02:41:43 AM »

It is true that the standard WS12As and XPS3-IWs are 1 way receive only.  This means that they will respond to a signal sent to it, but not return a signal back, My solution that I used for that was to mount the switches (XPS3-IWs) in my light and ceiling fan fixture on the ceiling, and then use an XPT switch in the wall.  Because the XPT switch is a PLC transmitter, it always updates my AHP.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 01:21:57 PM »

I question whether X10 will start making 2-way modules again after cancelling them a few years back.
[/quote]

Thinking X10 will start making 2-way modules again after cancelling them a few years back is like believing in the Tooth Fairy.  Ain't gonna happen. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »

Probably not Dan.
Though who ever expected AHP to be updated for the older Serial CM11A and an EBay Dealer having new 2010 CM11As to sell.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »

well I question the intentions, knowledge, truthfulness, etc of the X10 Support rep who told yaron2 in second post that X10 was "updating the software to allow the switches to "talk" to the computer so that you will always be able to tell what lights are on simply by looking at your computer". The software can do that now IF modules transmit status. It essentially is a "poodle gas" statement. (Poodles are known to be very gassous K9s ). I will be holding my breath for the next " osmotipathic" AHP version that can sense switch status.

os·mo·ti.pa.thic (z-mss, s-)
 noun
Combination of the words "osmosis" and "telepathic" indicating computer software with the mysterious ability to sense the conduction status of electronic switches, either through telepathy or electronic osmosis.

verb
Indicating release of poodle gas.

(I can't help myself...the devil made me do this)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.