Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Noob needs help (SOLVED)  (Read 7512 times)

lartomar2002

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Noob needs help (SOLVED)
« on: July 01, 2011, 03:58:11 AM »

Probably in the wrong forum but maybe some one here can help me. In my present situation I have to use powerline adapters instead of cables. I small house I am in has limited electrical outlets. I know that you are not suppose to connect a powerline adapter to a power strip or extention cord. Upon further reading I found that the reason for this is the surge protector and the EMI/RFI filter that are very common in them. Does anyone know where I might purchase power strips and or extension cords that do not have these characteristics? I have search google and all I find have the surge proctor or EMI/RFI or both. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:18:14 PM by lartomar2002 »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Noob needs help
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 08:59:33 AM »

Does anyone know where I might purchase power strips and or extension cords that do not have these characteristics? I have search google and all I find have the surge proctor or EMI/RFI or both. Thanks
Standard extension cords do not have filtering or surge protection, so they should work fine.

As far a outlet strips, the cheap ones (i.e. Walmart $4 to $6 units, etc.) will not have surge protection (although pure surge protection should not interfere with X10 signals, it is the filtering that kills the X10 signal). So look for outlet strips that do not have word like "Surge Protection" or "Noise Filtering" etc. on the package. All outlet strips have built in circuit breaker, so you may see the word "protection" on the package but that does not necessarly indicate surge or noise protection. It may be refering to the the current protection the circuit breaker offers. You have to read carefully and use the price as an indicator.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-6-Outlet-Power-Strip-White-3/16829047

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:10:35 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 11:15:04 AM »

I have picked up some at my local hardware store and other bargain stores.

lartomar2002

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:17:09 PM »

Thank you guys very much.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.