Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beam  (Read 7636 times)

BENCHMARKMAN

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Beam
« on: July 03, 2011, 12:59:01 PM »

Does X10 offer an invisible beam sensor?  The radio shack sensor offers this type of sensor but I already have an X10 system.  I know some of the radio shack sensors are compatible, is the invisible beam sensor compatible?  Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Beam
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 01:11:31 PM »

I don't think Radio Shack sell anything that is X10 compatible anymore.
I believe they have moved on to ZWave and other security products.

Do you have a RS number for the sensor. Maybe we can look at it and see what it can do.

If the sensor you are referring to has a dry contact output. You maybe able to connect it to a DS10A or DS12A security sensor. A powerflash would do normal X10 signaling.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »

Does X10 offer an invisible beam sensor?  The radio shack sensor offers this type of sensor but I already have an X10 system.  I know some of the radio shack sensors are compatible, is the invisible beam sensor compatible?  Thanks
Just so we are all on the same sheet, call it by its true name, not "invisible beam sensor". That can be interpreted a dozen different ways. I first thought you were talking about the Radio Shack Infrared Sensor card used to check IR remotes.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

BENCHMARKMAN

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:02:27 PM »

Just so we are all on the same sheet, call it by its true name, not "invisible beam sensor". That can be interpreted a dozen different ways. I first thought you were talking about the Radio Shack Infrared Sensor card used to check IR remotes.

Dave, I did call it by it's exact name, its called the Radio Shack Invisible Beam.  Here is the part number 490-0311.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 06:23:26 AM »

I did find a Radio Shack Invisible Beam Entry Alert 49-0312 in their archives. The -0311 didn't get any hits.
The one I found has a set of NO and NC contacts that could be wired to a Powerflash to send a standard X10 power line signal.
Could also be wired to either a DS10A or DS12A Security Sensor to trigger an X10 Security Console.
Also could be wired to Zone 31 or 32 on an SC1200 as they are the hard wired Zones.

Does yours have the external connections for NC and NO for external device use?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:45:53 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:47:16 AM »

Dave, I did call it by it's exact name, its called the Radio Shack Invisible Beam.  Here is the part number 490-0311.

Oops! Sorry, my appologies.

Like Brian, I could not find any information on it, other than a trouble shooting page. Years ago RS had a light beam detector which was popular as a "entrance detector" A mirror was attached to a door frame, with the unit attached to the opposite side. The unit projected a light beam which the mirror reflected back. Anyone crossing the threshold would interupt the light beam, causing a chime.

No, X10 does not make anything that uses an interupted beam for triggering. However the gizmo below could be interfaced to an X10 system using a X10 Powerflash module.

http://www.smarthome.com/70407/Enforcer-IR-Entry-Alert-System-E-931CS22RRC/p.aspx

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 10:08:18 AM »

......Years ago RS had a light beam detector which was popular as a "entrance detector" A mirror was attached to a door frame, with the unit attached to the opposite side. The unit projected a light beam which the mirror reflected back.

I thought it was a reflector (like one the back bumper of a 65 Ford pick-up).

For the record,  Vellman sells a unit that uses a laser pointer to hit a CDS cell at the end of a tube.  I've had pretty good luck using this across the fence on my driveway.  It takes some modding to get it to run on home power (as opposed to batteries) and some weatherproofing is required.  I use buried Cat 3 to the emitter from the garage.  Also, the light shielding tube may have to be modified with some PVC pipe and epoxy.

Got my unit from Ramsey.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »

I thought it was a reflector (like one the back bumper of a 65 Ford pick-up).

It was, I just did not know how to spell reflekter.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 10:35:39 AM »

had one in my junk bin. couldn't get it to throw a reliable beam across the driveway.  sent it on to Dave_x10_L who used it in his garage to detect the presence of his wife's car.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.