Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: vanguard motion causing memory leak and run32dll crashes / low memory condition  (Read 6214 times)

djb67

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I recently got my x10 and immediately started getting the run32dll crashes.
investigating this issue I was also getting low memory conditions.

the low memory conditions appear related to turning on the motion button (lower right) in vanguard.

typically the vanguard runs at 44k, but just turning on the motion it immediately climbs in seconds to over 600k and overnight enough to hang/bsd the system.

can someone from x10 investigate.  i have a perfmon of the memory leak

djb67

just an update
after not using the motion button last night was the first time since installing vanguard several times it didn't crash  from run32dll or bsd or have a low memory condition in the morning.
in fact it is still sitting at 44k after 14 hours.

seems that little motion button has a bug.

djb67

opened a case today with x10.

rundll32.  well a 2006 version being used that is HARDCODED isn't a good idea

mut

Hi! Newbie here who wants to share experiences with Vanguard software. Not exactly on topic here, but close enough. Picked up an X10 wireless camera system a couple of months ago to run on a little Acer Revo R1600 computer, which I normally use as a HTC. The idea was to be able to remotely check the kitchen floor for water leaks and check an indoor/outdoor thermometer for upstairs/downstairs HVAC issues while travelling. Hooked everything up, got a pretty good picture, connected remotely, and then the rundll32 errors started. I spent hours combing through these messages, looking for solutions. Nothing worked. Constant crashes. Finally ran memtest on the Acer and found that the extra gig of RAM I had added was not 100% compatible (even though Crucial said it was). Replaced the two 1 gig dimms with one 2 gig dimm and *PRESTO* - Vanguard works! It has been up for over 24 hours, and the only issue has been sporadic drops by the X10 gateway server. However, Vanguard seems to reconnect automatically, so things are good. The memory problem was not obvious when running other programs (even streaming movies), so it was just luck that had me test the RAM. Also, to access the system without using Vanguard, I was able to use a combination of WebcamXP 5 and Teamviewer 6 with good success. Couldn't use the camera controls, but at least I could look at the kitchen floor.

Cheers!

Chuck

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51

Mut -
Good catch on the memory problem.
Might not be the right solution for everyone, but it is certainly something to try.

mut

Thanks, Noam.

That was my whole point in posting. Reading through the many rundll32 problems made it easy to think my difficulties were due to buggy software, rather than hardware issues. While Vanguard is, admittedly, a little funky, I felt compelled to report that it's now solid as a rock for me.

Cheers!

Chuck

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.