Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: text2x10, Text messaging to operate your X10 devices.  (Read 82218 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: text2x10, Text messaging to operate your X10 devices.
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »

I don't normally use Text2X10, and I only had it running for a few minutes to test it.
I'll open it back up and check it out.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »

Wow, great!  I was testing last night and for whatever reason the script would simply hang my machine (a laptop with the script on a network server and no CM15A).  I'll have to try again with your correction and see if things go better.

#:)

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2011, 03:39:10 PM »

I don't normally use Text2X10, and I only had it running for a few minutes to test it.
I'll open it back up and check it out.
After some testing, I'm not seeing any spam.
However, since I don't have a texting plan on my phone, I was using my own Google Voice account to send the SMS messages to the program.
Since Google likes to treat messages that you SEND as if you had RECEIVED them (just like in Gmail, they show up in your Inbox), they were showing up twice, and being interpreted twice.
So, the commands were being run twice, and I was getting two notifications.

When I tested by sending from my wife's Google Voice account to mine, it worked fine (command only ran once).
If I decide to start using this (it would be helpful, I guess), I'd probably have to set up a separate Google Voice account just for the text2x10 program to use.

shuggins

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2011, 04:17:36 PM »

Noam-

There is a setting to keep it from doing that.  Let me go try and find it...

shuggins

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2011, 08:14:59 PM »

Yep!  If you do the (small) modifications that Noam described it's fully working.  I turned off several lights, lamps, executed macros (I use iHouse, not AHP), started up some cameras and recorded (and got emailed the attachments, etc) by sending texts to my Google Voice account.

THANK YOU NOAM!  You just got a Helpful from me.  Now for me to find that option on Google Voice to not do that duplicate thing you mentioned...  coming shortly.

EDIT: Noam- open the Text2x10_SetUp_guide.pdf  that I wrote (it's available from dbemowsk's site).  If you don't have it, I can just attach here.  But, this is how to turn it off.  Turn to page 11 and look at steps #9 and #10.  That *should* do it... 

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:24:54 PM by shuggins »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2011, 09:24:54 PM »

Awesome!  It's listening now, and it appears to have received a text asking for status.  It's not yet responding, but I'll have a bit more playing to do before I fully understand the workings here.

One question though.  When I change a config file, do I need to restart text2x10?  I assume the text2x10.cfg would require a reset, but does the commands.cfg also require one?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2011, 09:37:57 PM »

Also, if I want to turn on multiple lights at once, can I do that in a single commands.cfg line?

Code: [Select]
outdoor lights on:A1 on, A2 on, A3 on

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 09:45:40 PM »

Yep!  If you do the (small) modifications that Noam described it's fully working.  I turned off several lights, lamps, executed macros (I use iHouse, not AHP), started up some cameras and recorded (and got emailed the attachments, etc) by sending texts to my Google Voice account.

THANK YOU NOAM!  You just got a Helpful from me.  Now for me to find that option on Google Voice to not do that duplicate thing you mentioned...  coming shortly.

EDIT: Noam- open the Text2x10_SetUp_guide.pdf  that I wrote (it's available from dbemowsk's site).  If you don't have it, I can just attach here.  But, this is how to turn it off.  Turn to page 11 and look at steps #9 and #10.  That *should* do it... 

That's not the answer for hiding the sent texts.
I already have that turned off (I don't have texting on my phone plan, I wasn't even using my phone for this).
These are the texts I send from Google voice, that show up in my Google Voice inbox. There doesn't seem to be any way to hide them at all.
I think the answer is to use a separate Google Voice account for the program to listen to and send from.

shuggins

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2011, 11:08:29 PM »

I see.  Well, when I open a browser and log into my google voice account and send texts... I don't get the same behavior you described.

Whatever.  Good luck.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2011, 11:43:46 PM »

If I have any texts in my GV account that don't have the @computer phrase, it keeps downloading them over and over every 5 seconds.  But, since they don't have the right phrase, the script simply ignores them as far as actions.  This does make for an ugly console display, but it works fine.  I didn't like that operation and, since I have a separate account for this purpose only, I modified the script to delete all messages and not just the ones that are x10 related.

I'm curious though.  Where does GV find my cell number to send the text messages to?  I don't have it linked to my cell AFAIK, but it is forwarding all text2x10 messages on to my phone anyway.  I don't remember even giving it that phone number SPECIFICALLY so it wouldn't be able to send messages back.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2011, 07:11:02 AM »

I see.  Well, when I open a browser and log into my google voice account and send texts... I don't get the same behavior you described.

Whatever.  Good luck.
Are you sending to a cell phone, or back to your own GV account?

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2011, 07:12:53 AM »

If I have any texts in my GV account that don't have the @computer phrase, it keeps downloading them over and over every 5 seconds.  But, since they don't have the right phrase, the script simply ignores them as far as actions.  This does make for an ugly console display, but it works fine.  I didn't like that operation and, since I have a separate account for this purpose only, I modified the script to delete all messages and not just the ones that are x10 related.

I'm curious though.  Where does GV find my cell number to send the text messages to?  I don't have it linked to my cell AFAIK, but it is forwarding all text2x10 messages on to my phone anyway.  I don't remember even giving it that phone number SPECIFICALLY so it wouldn't be able to send messages back.
Mine doesn't continually download them, but it does it two or three times (it isn't really downloading them twice, but rather it is showing me the ones that I (or text2x10) sent, and then tying to process those, too.

I don't have a texting plan on my phone, but there is an option when you set up the numbers to forward to, to either send, or don't send texts to your cell phone.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2011, 11:23:14 AM »

FWIW, I told GV to NOT forward to a cell.  In fact, I told it nothing about my real cell number to make sure it couldn't.  But, it appears that when text2x10 replies to a text sent to GV (even from GV), it is automatically forwarded to my phone.  My account does not show any charges and Verizon doesn't show any either.  I have unlimited texting, so perhaps there is no charge afterall?  Either that or Google will send a bill at the end of the month for a nice holiday surprise!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2011, 11:35:50 AM »

FWIW, I told GV to NOT forward to a cell.  In fact, I told it nothing about my real cell number to make sure it couldn't.  But, it appears that when text2x10 replies to a text sent to GV (even from GV), it is automatically forwarded to my phone.  My account does not show any charges and Verizon doesn't show any either.  I have unlimited texting, so perhaps there is no charge afterall?  Either that or Google will send a bill at the end of the month for a nice holiday surprise!
That's really strange. Does Google know about your cell number ANYWHERE? It might be under your gmail settings somewhere, or perhaps your Google+ profile (if you have one).

If you want to take this offline to test it, let me know (send me a message through the forums, with your e-mail address). I am happy to try and send you some test text messages from my GV account to yours, and see if they forward to your phone.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »

I scoured my GV account last night to see where it came from.  The only place I think it has that info is in the contact list.  Maybe it marked that contact as some kind of auto respond...  If I can't figure it out, I may just take you up on your offer!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.