Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XCam Pro DC Connector Size...  (Read 9405 times)

ozdemir

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XCam Pro DC Connector Size...
« on: July 27, 2011, 03:53:37 PM »

I purchased the XCam Pro system and need to install it.  Since there are no electrical outlets nearby, i found a power-over-ethernet (POE) device where i can locate my power source in the basement and then ethernet cables to each camera which will then have another adapter for delivering the power.  My question is about the DC connector pin size.  The adapters I am looking at come in the following sizes:

DC connector sizes (5.5 mm x 2.5 mm) and (3.5 mm x 1.35 mm)

Does anyone know?  I am at work and not in front of the system otherwise i could just look at it.  Thanks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: XCam Pro DC Connector Size...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:05:16 PM »

The cameras have Two power connections on the connector. I believe they are a 1/8" {3.5mm} stereo type connector but I also don't have one in front of me.
One is On all the time to keep the camera electronics ready for instant video.
The other one is switched On from a X10 power line signal to the cameras addressabble power supply. To enable the RF Transmitter portion of the camera.
Only ONE camera can be On at a time or they will step on each others RF signal.
All the addressable power supplies should be set to the same House Code. And Unit Code in a group of four. 1-4,5-8,9-12 or 13-16. Turning one On automatically turns the others in the group Off.

Maybe you can patch the original X10 addressable suppies into the POE adapters but it would be a custom or using jacks to match the supplies connectors.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:24:56 PM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:38:38 PM »

I am pretty surethat mine are just 1/8-inch stereo plugs. You should be able to use a regular stereo headphone extension (RadioShack sells a 20-foot one).

ozdemir

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 04:42:46 PM »

Brian H.  I am confused by your post.  If i remember correctly, the cameras have a power supply that plugs in the back, and an associated motion sensor that is coded to each camera that runs off batteries.  The RF sender also plugs in to the camera, but I would assume that it gets powered as soon as the motion detector sees motion and turns the camera's power to ON.  I am failing to understand the ALWAYS ON for the camera.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »

The video sensor in the camera takes a few seconds to charge up.
So by keeping that part of the camera electronics On all the time you get instant video when the Transmitter part of the camera is turned On.
The older X10 cameras use to switch the whole camera On and Off. When turned ON the picture would slowly appear as the video sensor charged up.

So we are all on the same page.
Give us the model numbers of the X10 devices you have.

ozdemir

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »

Can't do it right now as I am at work.  Does a passive POE not have power transmitted to the device all the time?  I am just wondering how that would change if i have a POE versus directly powered into a receptacle?  I think it will work as a passive device.  I can only try and see what happens.  The splitters are relatively inexpensive.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »

I have no information on POE devices.
One thing to check. On the Power Supplies with the Cameras. Check their voltage on the label. I believe the Pro units use 9 volts versus the older X10 cameras using 12 volts.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 07:05:23 AM »

I am pretty sure that my cameras use a STEREO plug, because they have two positive power connections - one that is always on, and the other that is swithched. I don't know of a POE solution that can handle that type of setup.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 08:44:14 AM »

The schematic from the FCC web site. Shows a stereo jack. Cam Power +, 900MHz + and common.
Not 100% clear but I believe it is 9 volts not the 12 volts the older cameras used.

Dave Rye

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 07:34:19 PM »

PoE injectors and splitters are now available on our site.
http://www.x10.com/promotions/poe_pass_single.html
There are two types depending on the DC plug/socket size: DC connector sizes (5.5 mm x 2.5 mm) is for the XX40A and (3.5 mm x 1.35 mm) is for the XX34A/XX41A, XX36A/XX42A, and XX39A.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.