Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question on 3 Phase Power  (Read 4286 times)

MartinEllis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Question on 3 Phase Power
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:14:36 AM »

Hi, I'm relatively new to X10. I have a house with 3 phase power, house circuits are wired/split across phases and neutral. Question is can I use separate X10 transmitters on each phase or do I need a 3 phase coupler. I ask because I already have the transmitters and wondering if this will achieve the same result?

Cheers!,
Martin

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Question on 3 Phase Power
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:06:03 AM »

Your house is three phase?
Like three Hot Lines, a Neutral and a safety ground? 208 volts between any two Lines?

The X10 protocol has the power line signal sent from a transmitter three times. One to match each phases zero crossing. So if the signal makes it from one phase to the next. You maybe be able to control devices on each phase with a controller on another phase.

A three phase coupler repeater maybe all you need. I believe the ACT CR134 is three phase.
Some of the passive couplers can also be used in three phase.

MartinEllis

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 06:40:16 AM »

Brian,

Thanks for the quick reply!, I should clarify, I'm in Australia, Voltage on my 3 phase is 240 between any phase and neutral, 415 between phases - probabley the same as the UK.  Ground is also wired to neutral here. My controller is an Omnipro II pro, has options for 3 phase X10. Going to research this a little more. X10 stuff is really expensive here, I move from the US hence my OmniPro. If I can get away with the 240v Transmitter on each phase it would be perfect.. ! Anyone confirm this is possible?

Martin - from down under.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:03:48 AM »

Thanks for the added information.
That may get more help for you. Now that we know your location and voltages.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:20:31 AM »

I believe most X10 transmitters output all three phases.  That allows you to use a single transmitter with two phase couplers to propagate that signal to the other phases.  I suppose having a transmitter on each phase should also work.

The XTB-III transmits all three phases, and has three coupling networks good for 240V.  Because it has a single processing channel, it cannot be used as a repeater except for special cases.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

AussieJohn73

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 08:50:37 PM »

Hi,

The best bet is a 3 phase coupler.  They are not cheap (the cheapest I found was here http://www.envioustechnology.com.au/products/product-detail.php?ID=71 in Australia).  Mine works perfectly, I hope this helps.

luke03

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 02:05:01 PM »

You could also have three receivers, one for each phase.  I assume your transmitter is the RF one?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.