Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shock/Vibration Glass Break Dector  (Read 4935 times)

remrick

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Shock/Vibration Glass Break Dector
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:29:41 AM »

The Safe House Shock/Vibration Detector Catalog # 49-521 will work with the DS10A module for Shock/Vibration and Glass Break Detection.
Used to be sold by Radio shack see:
http://support.radioshack.com/productinfo/DocumentResults.asp?sku_id=49-521&Name=Security%20Accessories&Reuse=N
Can't find it on the current Radio Shack web site.
Can anyone find a source? (cheap)
Later..
  Rian  :'

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Shock/Vibration Glass Break Dector
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:34:47 AM »

I am not surprised that RS no longer has it.
I found the archived information on it dated 07/18/1997.

Does the sensor open and stay open on a glass break or momentarily open?
The archived data was not to clear.

I did see other brands that open momentarily and don't require a power source. On various web sites.

aptalca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »

I just purchased the GE 5150 shock sensors a few weeks ago. They are closed loop, so you can just stick the two wires in the external terminals of DS12A's or hot-wire them to DS10A's and they just work. During shock, the sensor/loop is opened for a few seconds and then closes again.

They are tiny, you stick them on the windows with the supplied adhesive tape and they have no batteries as they are powered by piezo-electric (movement/vibration). I bought them for pretty cheap off of ebay, I think they cost $9 each or something like that. They are also available through several retailers including on Amazon if you do a google search.

The best part with the DS12A is that the external terminals act as a secondary sensor with different codes and the SC1200 registers it as a different sensor. So I have one DS12A per window that handles both the window opening, and glass breakage individually.

I also set up macros through AHP so that whenever the glass break sensors are tripped (whether the alarm is armed or not) I receive a text message on my cell phone. (Same with the smoke detector but that's a story for a different thread)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 03:13:04 PM »

I saw the GE 5150. Thanks for passing on the information on them working. I thought the nominal 5 second open would be enough to trigger an X10 DS12A and probably the DS10A also.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.