Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can I have multiple light controls on a single light?  (Read 7990 times)

whitenack

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Can I have multiple light controls on a single light?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 10:19:09 PM »

I like you extra details dave w.

One added point. The WS13 and XPS3 I referenced to are not transmitters. So they would not trigger a smart macro and would locally turn the lights connected to them On and Off.

An X10Pro XPT is a power line transmitter.

http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xpt.pdf

How would you connect the motion sensor to lights that are hard wired?  I see that it is easy to do with plug in lights, but what about overhead lights normally controlled by a wall switch?  Does the motion sensors somehow communicate with these relay switches?

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 10:48:44 PM »

How would you connect the motion sensor to lights that are hard wired?  I see that it is easy to do with plug in lights, but what about overhead lights normally controlled by a wall switch?  Does the motion sensors somehow communicate with these relay switches?
You would replace the wall switch with one that can receive X10 signals over the powerline (or wire an in-line module between the switch and the fixture).
You would then use a wireless transceiver (like the TM751, RR501, or CM15A - in order from worst to best), to take the RF signal from the motion sensors, and inject it into the powerline, where the wall switch (or inline module) will hear it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 06:09:37 AM »

If you are going to want the motion sensors only working at certain times of the day.
The motion sensor sends the RF signal to the CM15A running AHP with Smart Macros. It then determines if the lights should go On and send the command to the hard wired X10 Wall Switch.

If you wanted direct control with no time limits. Noam pointed out exactly how it would work.

whitenack

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 10:41:05 AM »

You would replace the wall switch with one that can receive X10 signals over the powerline (or wire an in-line module between the switch and the fixture).
You would then use a wireless transceiver (like the TM751, RR501, or CM15A - in order from worst to best), to take the RF signal from the motion sensors, and inject it into the powerline, where the wall switch (or inline module) will hear it.

And how would that work?  When I switch the light on or off at the wall switch (that is also an x10 switch) would that overide any signals it gets from the motion detector?  For instance, if I have the motion sensor to send an off signal after 5 minutes, would the lights go off after I flipped the switch on after 5 minutes of no motion, or would it stay on until I came back and flipped the switch off?  And the other way around, if I flipped the lights off at the switch, would that disable the motion sensor?

Also, what is the difference between ActiveEye and EagleEye sensors?  The website says one can configure dusk to dawn and one can't, but I see that the both can work either way.  Maybe I'm not understanding?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:45:00 AM by whitenack »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Comparison_of_All_Motion_Sensors

If the motion sensor is set to the same address as the wall switch. It will turn the switch On with motion and then Off if no more motion is detected.

If you turn the switch On with the local paddle. It will go On and stay On.
Unless the motion sensor has seen motion also sending an On that would be ignored as the switch is On already, but would go off after the sensor times out.
Turning it Off at the switch. Would not disable the motion sensor from turning it On and Off.

Now if the motion sensor sends a signal on a different address to trigger a Macro running in AHP and not directly controlling the wall switch address. Then you can customize how motion and wall switch act with each other.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:09:51 AM by Brian H »

whitenack

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 11:16:50 AM »

Thanks, yet again, Brian.

So, the difference between the Eagle Eye and Active Eye is that while both will detect motion either all the time or only at night, and both will control a different light with the dusk to dawn feature, the D2D feature on the Eagle Eye can't be turned off and will use up an extra unit code for this feature?  Is that about right?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »

That sounds about right.
The Active Eye also has a variable adjustment control. To set the no motion time out from 0-60 minutes.
Both have presets that can be as long as 256 minutes.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.