Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Filter problem  (Read 2746 times)

hollisav

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Filter problem
« on: August 09, 2011, 09:52:30 AM »

I am having a problem with my x10.  I have a plasma Tv and I found that as long as I have it turned off my x10 works.  If I turn the TV on nothing on that phase works..  The plasma draws 5.75 amps max.  I purchad a AF20 filter and pluged the serge protector into it and when I turn on my TV only the modules with AGC now work.  I then unplugged the AF120 and replaced it with a XPPF filter and all works fine except the filter heats up and smells.  I can not isolate the whole circuit in the pannel as I have x10 modules on that circuit that I need and can't rewire.

Help
hollisav

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Filter problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:02:51 PM »

I can not isolate the whole circuit in the pannel as I have x10 modules on that circuit that I need and can't rewire.
The XPF 20 amp filter does not have to go at the panel. You can wire it in to an outlet strip.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:10:54 PM »

Both the XPF and AF120 are notch filters, which only block noise and signal loading right at the X10 passband.  The XPPF is a low-pass filter, which blocks noise and loading over a wide range of frequencies, beginning well below the X10 passband.  The fact that there is still a problem with the AF120 means either your plasma TV is radiating a lot of noise just outside the X10 passband, or your signal levels are marginal to begin with.

That is a LOT of power for a TV.  I thought the old CRT TVs were power hogs.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 05:45:22 PM »

The XPPF is a low-pass filter, which blocks noise and loading over a wide range of frequencies, beginning well below the X10 passband.  The fact that there is still a problem with the AF120 means either your plasma TV is radiating a lot of noise just outside the X10 passband, or your signal levels are marginal to begin with.
The X-10 passband is, itself, fairly wide. I tested by sending X-10 codes over the power-line and varying the carrier frequency. Most modules responded to 75kHz and some as high as 200kHz with very low level signals. Dan Lanciani also did similar testing with similar results but I don't recall whether he posted any data or whether I got it via e-mail.

Plasma TVs were notorious radiators, blocking many (thru-the-air) RF signals and the power-lines act as antennas picking up lots of RF. 
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.