Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Future of X10  (Read 205883 times)

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
Re: Future of X10
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »

Since the topic is the "Future of X10",   I would have to speculate they will be phasing themselves out of production and development and will be 100% focused on internet sales and marketing  which they seem  mostly interested in doing anyway.  This  means they selling other people's product or private labeling other peoples product and leaving the service and warranty to others.   It cost money to support your own products

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »

I would have to speculate they will be phasing themselves out of production and development and will be 100% focused on internet sales and marketing  which they seem  mostly interested in doing anyway.  This  means they selling other people's product or private labeling other peoples product and leaving the service and warranty to others. 
IF that is the road they are going down, it will be the end of X10.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »

If not most... at least some businesses hesitate to just close the doors without giving their employees a chance to look, and interview for other jobs. I wonder what is being said/done on the inside.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »

I know I won't ever leave Home Automation! Just in case X10 decides to leave me.... I've changed my screen name.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 06:49:18 AM »

Over in the Homeseer Forums.
There is a thread with a reported X10 insider providing added details.
It does sound like X10 as we know it is about to fold.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=149937

The Affiliate program was closed also.

If they lock the doors on the X10 Forums.
It was a great ride for me and hope all of you have good things happening in your future.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:33:47 AM by Brian H »

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 06:05:23 PM »

If they lock the doors on the X10 Forums.
It was a great ride for me and hope all of you have good things happening in your future.

So very well put. Much better than I could have said it. But my feelings are the same.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »

Only problem with the Homeseer Forums is all the replies are 5 and 11 years old.  I would not take that info with 100 pounds of X10 products.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »

Sorry Dan. It is a brand new thread with the latest post yesterday and was started 08/11/2011
It is not the one when X10 went bankrupt I believe in 2002 or 2003.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »

Only problem with the Homeseer Forums is all the replies are 5 and 11 years old.  I would not take that info with 100 pounds of X10 products.
I agree with Brian. It don't sound good.  Read the two "hasdjp" postings. He appears to be an employee and he is saying the Shenzen factory is already closed and the employees have gotten "unofficial" word. I know a person who works at X10 HQ and he is being very tight lipped, but I can tell from his last email that something is going on and it ain't good.

I don't think they are completely going out of business but it appears they have quit making "X10" products. They may try and turn themselves in to a web marketing company like pseeker suggested earlier in the thread. I guess it makes sense. They have a strong web sales store with all the infrastructure in place (marketing, sales, customer support, warehousing, shipping, etc) to continue selling other products. They already have non X10 products on their pages; audio distribution systems, intercom systems, music systems, etc. Some fairly pricy. IMHO I don't think it will work. Too much competition. Who knows...but X10 as we know it will soon be a memory. Stock up now, I just placed what is likely to be my last X10 order.

I am going to miss the forum if it shuts down, or morphs in to something else.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »

well gang.......

Don't know how I'm going to port all this stuff over to another technology.  I started with X10 in 1988 and have been adding modules since.  Tuicemen, -Bill- (of wgjohns.com), Melloware, JLP, DBemowsk, and the others who helped me with great software apps, I hope you continue your works on another line of controller.  I may be a few years behind getting it all up to insteon or whatever, as it will cost me a fortune.

Volp, Brian H, Dave W and HA Dave: you guys have both inspired and enlightened me.  

Dave Houston:  been reading your stuff for years, glad to finally meet you.

Charles:  I miss you every day.

My 105 days on this forum has been one of the best things I've spent my time on.  Good friends. Great projects.  I even enjoyed banging my head a time or two.

By the way, as the door closes (we don't know how much time we have) the name is Rev. Brian S. Vance in Ohio.  It's been good to meet and know every one of you.

[in the case that we may still be around a year from now, just bury this post in the annals of this forum]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:15:27 PM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »

OK.... the X10 servers may (or may not) shut down some day. But the forum here is preserved. The Internet project called the WayBackMachine or http://www.archive.org/web/web.php regularly copies and stores such things. So all the great information will still be here tomorrow... even if this Site isn't.

The X10 forum is stored here, by year.

The fellowship of the X10 community.... that is another story.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 10:33:15 PM »

I would volunteer to host a forum on my website but at 70 years old, with congestive heart failure, a recent surgery for lung cancer, a nasty spinal cord injury and a few other ongoing health issues, I may not be around much longer than X10.

However, it's not terribly difficult to setup a forum on most hosts. Hostmonster.com costs $5.95/mo and provides tons of free applications including forums - you could probably pay for it through donations. I'm not sure which forum software they offer but most are fairly easy to administer.

Or, Yahoo hosts free discussion groups although that might be really hard to organize given all the disparate sections here.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 10:51:15 PM »

I'll probably just go hang out with Electron.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 10:53:39 PM »

........ it's not terribly difficult to setup a forum on most hosts. Hostmonster.com costs $5.95/mo and provides tons of free applications including forums

That link looks great! Thanks for sharing.

I know -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) has a Web Site and a forum as does Tuicemen: http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?topic=157.msg545#msg545 and Knightrider: http://thisautomatedhouse.com/ , JeffVolp of course has his Site as well: http://jvde.us/xtb_index.htm  (I even have a fan Site and a few videos at Youtube). I am sure there are others that I am forgetting.

There is even a HA chatroom setup by KDR (a member here) as a gift to us.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:41:05 AM by HA Dave »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 10:58:22 PM »

Don't know how I'm going to port all this stuff over to another technology.  I started with X10 in 1988 and have been adding modules since.  Tuicemen, -Bill- (of wgjohns.com), Melloware, JLP, DBemowsk, and the others who helped me with great software apps, I hope you continue your works on another line of controller.  I may be a few years behind getting it all up to insteon or whatever, as it will cost me a fortune.

I'm a believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  As long as you have some spare modules, there is no reason to switch to another system.

I plan to continue using my X10 system long into the future.  It is mostly Leviton anyway.  I may buy some of those Insteon/X10 modules though.  Testing one of the two-way modules working under HCA with the XTB-232 powerline interface was pretty neat.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.