Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unexpected lamp on, what could be the issue.  (Read 4227 times)

wyx2000

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Unexpected lamp on, what could be the issue.
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:42:35 PM »

Just got the products and testing.

I connect CM15A and add a lamp, set to A3, turned off.
Plug in a lamp module , connect a lamp.
Have a nano control and a sllmline control out of box, they have battery installed, ready for use right out of box.
No other X10 products connected.
I can use the nano and the slimline to control the lamp.
But after a while, the original off lamp will be on itself. I cannot think what could cause it. Only thing I can think of is noise in powerline, but even that will put a log into the lamp control in the ActiveHome Pro since if the lamp module get a control, the ActiveHome Pro will too, right?
Any idea?
I am going to connect a transceiver and connect another lamp to it and see if it will be on unexpectedly like this one.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Unexpected lamp on, what could be the issue.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:51:51 PM »

Just got the products and testing.

But after a while, the original off lamp will be on itself. I cannot think what could cause it. Only thing I can think of is noise in powerline,
Noise *rarely* has the ability to actually turn a module ON or OFF. Usually noise simply prevents an X10 command from getting to the target module, so things don't turn on or off when they are told to. Also noise will not be seen on the activity log.

Have you loaded a program in the CM15A?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

wyx2000

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:49:28 PM »

I think it could be the CM15A.
I found it has two sample macro.
So I deleted the macros, then I cleared the interface memory.
Now when I click the nano, I see the virtual switch in CM15A on and off, but the lamp module doesn't act. But it acts when I click the virtual switch with mouse. Any idea? May I should not clear the interface memory?

wyx2000

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57:16 PM »

I reset the transceiver code from Auto to Special in hardware configuration, seems that makes the remote control works again, I will see if the lamp auto on problem solved or not.

wyx2000

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:52:31 PM »

Ok, I unpluged all modules except the lamp module LM465, it will be on automatically after 5 minutes, I think it is a defective device.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 07:17:25 AM »

Ok, I unpluged all modules except the lamp module LM465, it will be on automatically after 5 minutes, I think it is a defective device.
What type of bulb is in the lamp?
Some CFL bulbs don't work well with the "Local Current Sensing" circuit in the lamp module, and trick it into turning back on.

Alternatively, it could be noise, which tricks the lamp module into thinking it got an "On" code (but the CM15A doesn't see it - probably because the noise is too weak by the time it hits the CM15A to do anything).
I had this happen with a few older Wall Switches. They would randomly turn on, when there was nothing reported by the CM15A. I eventually replaced them with switches from SmartHome instead.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 07:24:55 AM »

To expand what Noam said.
Only incandescent bulbs should be used with Lamp Modules.
Any other type could be a problem. So if you are using a different type. That could be a factor.

Some dimmable CFLs may work with a lamp module but it would be on a case by case basis.

wyx2000

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 12:48:55 PM »

Yes, I figured it out later, it is the bulb, I used a fluorescent to test, the lamp module seems fine itself.

Now I see the problem, nowadays, most bulbs are fluorescent if not all, lamp module and lamp socket rocket don't work with fluorescent and application module has a relay which works with fluorescent but it gives loud switch noise,  very annoying especially when use in bedroom.

I guess they sold for cheap for a reason.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 01:05:11 PM »

Well the Smarthome Insteon and lower cost Icon relay style modules. Are much quieter and can have an X10 address programmed into them.
Also much more costly.
The latest hardware revision ones revert to Off after a power loss and recovery. The older ones remembered if they where On or Off when power was lost and restored.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.