Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: root  (Read 9893 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
root
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »

Does the Airpad user have root privileges or is he/she locked out of root?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
Re: root
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:17:07 PM »

Does the Airpad user have root privileges or is he/she locked out of root?

pre-rooted. that thing is rooted before you even get to it.
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

dreamerfb1

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 01:00:04 PM »

What do you mean "ROOTED"?  tHIS IS MY FIRST TABLET STYLE TOY/COMPUTER, SO i DON'T KNOW WHAT i'M DOING WITH THIS THING YET.  iT'S STILL ON ITS FIRST BATTERY CHARGE.  tHE "mANUAL" MENTIONS A "3g dONGLE"  wHAT THE HECK IS THAT?  OOPs!  Noticed caps lock was on.  I'm NOT screaming, just dumb old man. :'javascript:void(0);

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »

Here's a definition of root as it applies here.

And, as it turns out, users apparently do not have root privileges out-of-the-box. There are other threads dealing with how to do this.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:49:19 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Chars

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 02:28:06 AM »

Windows 7 64bit
Trying to install Rockusb Driver.
"Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device"

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install"

" RK29 Device"
Driver is not intended for this platform"

Can you help me with this.
Device manager shows:

I7
Class for rockusb devices
     [unknown device!

I tried rebooting
Using other usb port.

The device tries to install if I press ESC or not.

Cheers

RickM

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 10:30:44 AM »

Windows 7 64bit

I have the exact same problem.  Holding esc does not stoip the AirPad from booting normally.  and, the Rocusb driver will not install manually
Thanks for any help.

tommy_v

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 11:18:16 AM »

Windows 7 64bit

I have the exact same problem.  Holding esc does not stoip the AirPad from booting normally.  and, the Rocusb driver will not install manually
Thanks for any help.

You need to power off (not put in "sleep mode"), and hold the "ESC" button on the TABLET (not the "esc" key on your computer keyboard).  To power off, hold down the power button and choose "power off" from the menu that pops up.  When you connect to Windows while powered off with the ESC button held down, the airpad won't turn on and won't boot at all, but will be detected by Windows as a USB device with a different vendor and product ID than it would if it were turned on when you connected.  If you know how to dig with a program such as "USBDview", you'll find that when connected it has a vendor id of 2207 and product ID of 290a.  When connected normally, the VID is 1bb4 (same as HTC's), and it connects as a USB drive.

That said, I *still* can't get the windows driver to install, even when the tablet is connecting with the same vendor/product ID that is listed for it in the driver's INF file (Windows 2000 reports that it can't find the driver, even though I've given it the W2K inf file's location, and the .sys and .cat files are right there next to it).
 (edited-- I actually got this to work, but had to edit the W2K .inf file for rockusb, see the other thread under troubleshooting.)But since your issue is that the tablet is "booting normally" then it is almost certainly the case that you're only in sleep mode, not really powered off.  Maybe that will make all the difference for you.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:12:03 AM by tommy_v »

Chars

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:11:27 PM »

So any help on the driver would be nice. I know the ESC key on the airpad is to be pushed while connecting USB. Booting is not a part of the equation until after the device is recognized by the driver.
Windows 7 64 bit. I have sent messages to x10 via email, did the chat thing, made posts and nothing :(

RickM

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 06:20:57 PM »

You need to power off (not put in "sleep mode"), and hold the "ESC" button on the TABLET (not the "esc" key on your computer keyboard).  
TTHANK YOU!.  I'm feeling a bit stupid right now.  I thought the esc on the AirPad would be called a Back button.

But, the Rockusb driver will not install.  If I try to install the Rocksub drivers manually, by right c;icking and selecting Install, I get the message that "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation".

Please help again.  Thanks.

RickM

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 08:43:15 PM »

OK, I found the device listed as an "other device" rather than under the USB.  I right clicked it and chose Update Driver and was able to install the Rockusb driver.  Then the RKBatchTool saw the device.  But the RKBatchTool doesn't see any ROM images.  I have them in the same directory with the Tool.  Why doesn't it see them?

Thanks

RickM

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 09:45:13 PM »

Well, I finally figured it out.  Step 6 says "Select the ... button". I had no idea what that meant but I found it.  There really is a "..." button in the top right hand corner of the RKBatchTool!  Then pressing "Upgrade" started the reflashing of the ROM.  I'm waiting right no to see the result. 

It's done and the AirPad is booting.
First it does a format, so all data is lost.
Then the AirPad boots.
I'll check it out and repost with the results and a summary of how to get it done.

Thanks forthe help.

Chars

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 12:23:30 AM »

Used my XP machine to install root image.
Win 7 64bit did not work, nor my Vista Home Basic.
Good thing for XP (:

Chars

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 01:04:03 AM »

Now that I have SU  to airpad:
Would like instructions on how to turn off Cell Standby and other battery sucking things through terminal or something easier.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.