Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to detect where x10 module is used and where it is  (Read 7964 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: How to detect where x10 module is used and where it is
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »

I've read this entire thread and the only thing that pops in my mind is that jr1chard is a web troll.   As I posted before, X10 has never been Mass Marketed ever.
Dan, It is jr1chard's neighbor who has X10, not jr1chard. And X10 has been mass marketed... by Radio Shack, Sears, GE, Stanley, Magnavox, etc. just under a different name and a decade ago.

jr1chard might be a troll, but his postings do not seem like it.

Really, the only thing that raises my eyebrow is the fact that jr1chard seems very non plussed and complacent about it. I agree with Dave_HA suggestions. If I suddenly heard strange clicks, hums, wierd noises, etc. coming from inside/underneath my house, and these noises seemingly followed me throughout the home...I would be searching, in a panic.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:25:31 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 11:59:47 AM »

....... I agree with Dave_HA suggestions. If I suddenly heard strange clicks, hums, weird noises, etc. coming from inside/underneath my house, and these noises seemingly followed me throughout the home...I would be searching, in a panic.

Thank you. It's true people can "sense" things. Although the OP's comments may have little or nothing to do with X10 I take them seriously. Like with B.A.'s post... suspicions do count..... and should be properly acted on (as B.A. did).

I was suspicious of activity in my yard for months until I put up a hunting camera in my yard and caught a peeping tom spying my wife in the bathroom window!

I've read several posts here at the forum where a poster is having "neighbor problems". So they end up breaking the law with a camera (and microphone) to keep an eye on a perceived threat. I love technology and I use a bunch of it to protect my property (I have a full perimeter detection system). But relationships can't be managed with technology. Having the neighbors over for a cook out or dinner... or a double date for a event or movie... goes a long way to making life better.

Efforts must be made to maintain any type of relationship good or bad. Relationships fade away if not attended to. This is true with all relationships except stalking. The OP has a problem! Wether the poster is being stalked... or overwhelmed about thoughts of another persons activity... I don't know. There might even be an old electrical system malfunctioning in the crawlspace that could be a fire hazard. But it needs to be looked into sooner rather than later.... IMHO.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:05:37 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »

"DNFTT" rofl

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »

I've read several posts here at the forum where a poster is having "neighbor problems". So they end up breaking the law with a camera (and microphone) to keep an eye on a perceived threat. I love technology and I use a bunch of it to protect my property (I have a full perimeter detection system). But relationships can't be managed with technology. Having the neighbors over for a cook out or dinner... or a double date for a event or movie... goes a long way to making life better.

I never had any problems getting along with my neighbor, he just decided to start peeping.
As far as the law, after seeing my pics and video, the police staked out my house and caught him red handed.
He's up on 27 charges! Pending. It must not be illegal here as they are using my pics as evidence.

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 12:19:38 PM »

...... after seeing my pics and video, the police staked out my house and caught him red handed. ........ It must not be illegal here as they are using my pics as evidence.

An awesome story.

In Ohio... (where I live) I can record video (or take pictures) on my property and it's perfectly legal (as long as it is PUBLIC, not a bath or bedroom) as anyone walking on my yard would normally have an expectation of being seen. However.... they don't expect people inside a home to be able to hear them. So a listening device (a camera with a working microphone) is [as I understand it] against the law. So I don't use the camera microphones.

Placing a camera so as to have a view of a neighbor while they are on their own propriety (or in their home)... could be the same a peeping.

Most of us... never even think about this stuff. Of course we don't want to listen in to or spy on are neighbors. But some people do. Often it's because they feel the neighbor is a threat to them for some reason. Sometimes it's because of a bad breakup. Sometimes they think the neighbor is the wrong type of person... with a criminal record, or an accent,... or some such thing.

For many people... finding the proper responce isn't an easy thing to do. Many people run out to buy a gun to protect themselves when a burglar is working their community. The strange part is more often than not the burglar will be hitting homes during daytime hours while the homeowner is at work. It is like buying a gun for the burglar (to steal). Figuring out how to react... is the something we can all be helpful with.

Maybe the OP's doesn't have the best intentions.... I don't know. But it doesn't hurt to discuss the use of technology as a deterrent to crime and a way to combat it. And to remember that technology doesn't solve every problem. People can have mental problems... not to say go crazy... but act in odd or in strange ways. Often in ways that offend or harm others.

I think.... IMHO... the OP needs to find the source of those noises. They don't sound like anything X10 to me. But they do need to be investigated.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:07:22 PM by HA Dave »

jr1chard

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 08:49:52 PM »

I appreciate any comments and suggestions all of you put here.  I. too. don't know what  a web troll is.  It doesn't really sound very good.
  Anyway, this is not a romantic thing.  The neighbor and her son got their backs up 3 months ago and made statements that gave me the impression they planned to do something.  And from past statements they made when we did get along as neighbors they relayed a story of some vindictiveness they had done in the past.  After that I began to distance myself from them.  I don't rule out stalking by any means.  The son and mother could be revenge type stalkers.  The son said he had been in jail many times and it didn't bother him.  He just didn't care.  It's an involved story but my only goal is keeping distance from them and having peace return to the neighborhood.
  I know a good electrician and the x10 block sounds good as does the controllers.

jr1chard

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »

Some things I forgot to say : I am not here to stir anything up.  This is a technology I don't really understand and I am not sure it is being used but with the combination of things that happen and statements that the neighbors son has made concerns me and I wanted to get feedback from those who know more about this type stuff than I do.
  I am quite concerned by it.  I have been looking.  I have been in the crawl space and looked but probably need to do it more thoroughly.  I assume if some x10 module is there it will be easy to spot.  If it is in behind the aluminum siding that will be a nightmare.  And I suppose it could somehow be planted in the pillars of the house on the west side.

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »

Appliance modules look like this:

They need to plug in to a receptacle, and are a bit bigger than a pack of cigarettes. Not that easy to hide. Anything that made a sound like a motor.... would have to be attached to something as well. If it something someone crawled under your house and attached... you should be able to spot it.

I've never heard of anyone ever sneaking X10 stuff into or onto some other persons home.... for any reason. I am not even sure how or what would be done to accomplish such a thing.

But you should still look for the source of the noise! Even though offhand (based on your inspection report) it doesn't seem to be a rogue X10 install.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »

Dave,  NOBODY but x10 and a few websites carry X10 today.  None of the former sellers like Radio Shack don't carry X10 stuff anymore.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.