Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do X-10 Switches meet UL and NEC code?  (Read 3383 times)

rjniles

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Do X-10 Switches meet UL and NEC code?
« on: September 15, 2011, 06:45:50 PM »

I just installed a WS 13A switch and noticed it does not have a ground terminal. I thought that switches were required to have a EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor) terminal since at least the 1999 NEC code cycle.  Could not find any UL listing info either.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Do X-10 Switches meet UL and NEC code?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:11:58 PM »

X-10's website says they are UL approved.

I have no switches but all of the plug-in modules appear to have UL & CSA symbols on their labels. In fact, X-10 uses the UL approval as a sales point for the TW523 saying it's a way to delelop your own controller without the need for UL approval as it's already UL & CSA approved.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »

I have a Date Code 04L51 X10Pro XPS3 version of the WS13A. It has a UL & CSA emblem on it.
Can't say about the present ones.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:44:38 PM »

I just installed a WS 13A switch and noticed it does not have a ground terminal. I thought that switches were required to have a EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor) terminal since at least the 1999 NEC code cycle.  Could not find any UL listing info either.
I just checked the Home Depot switch selection web pages and it looked like even the 54 cent cheapie wall switches have a ground lug.

However that would also mean that X10 has, for over a decade, gotten away with selling switches which clearly  - visually, do not meet code.... with no "govmnt" intervention.  rofl
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:50:30 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Sammer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 10:46:44 PM »

There can be differences in the NEC for new electrical work and retrofit. While not allowed as new wiring under the 2011 NEC there are lots of older switch loops with no GEC, no neutral, no armored cable, no metal conduit or anything else that makes a ground lug on a switch relevant. How many X10 SuperSockets have you seen that are Tamper Resistant? In the not too distant future the use of Tamper Resistant receptacles will become the law of the land even for most retrofits.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.