Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless cams do not seem to sync with tv  (Read 5449 times)

larryj54

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wireless cams do not seem to sync with tv
« on: September 15, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »

I have an old wireless camera system I gave as a gift back in 2005, which I have inherited because they bought a new security system.  I have seen the cams work previously.  Hooking up in the most basic single cam setup, none of the cams will sync into a stable pic.  Picture is terribly broken in horizontal black bands.  Every combo of switch address settings have been tried between CAM and receiver.  If anyone knows NTSC video, this looks like loss of sync pulse. (this may not be the case but it is as descriptive as I can paint the picture)

4 Cams and 2 tv's prove identical issue.  Only common element is the X10 receiver.  Any thoughts?  As I said I've seen this system work in the past.  Are there some secret adjustments that I am unaware of?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Wireless cams do not seem to sync with tv
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 03:32:19 PM »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 03:52:03 PM »

How close do you have the camera and the receiver?
You could be getting interference from something else (as Brian posted).
Microwave ovens can also cause interference (but only when they are on, of course).
There may be other devices putting out a strong signal in the 2.4 GHz range nearby (a neighbor's house, perhaps) that could be causing interference, too.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 06:08:17 PM »

Also, could you have more than one camera "ON"? Only one wireless camera can be on at a time.

Also turn off all cameras, anything still on the TV?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

larryj54

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »

Thanks to all; it was indeed the WiFi.  I had actually unplugged it previously while trying things and it still was messed up, but I suppose my laptop was still actively transmitting..

I followed the instructions for the Belkin Router, switched to g-only, and set ch 11.  All Cam's now work.  I did change the location of the receiver to gain distance from the WiFi router, and the pictures are quite stable.

The only glitch now is the TM-751 Transceiver module keeps clicking off and on randomly.  Any suggestions for this?

The main thing is the Cams work and I have regained faith in the X-10.  Now if I could find a use for teh motion detector modules and the VCR Controller!!!  Who has a VCR these days?!?!?

Thanks again.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 04:16:35 PM »

The main thing is the Cams work and I have regained faith in the X-10.  Now if I could find a use for teh motion detector modules and the VCR Controller!!!  Who has a VCR these days?!?!?
Are you using a hand-held remote to turn the cameras on and off?
Do you have a camera on Unit code 1?
The TM751 is hard-coded to Unit code 1, so it will go on or off every time it gets an RF command for Unit Code 1 to go on or off.

larryj54

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:45:13 PM »

Hi Noam,

Yes I have the hand held remote, and I do have a CAM set to A1, however when I press the #1 on the remote it does not cycle the transceiver.  The Transceiver would just click (or should I say clunk) off at random, nothing to do with using the remote at all.  I just assumed it was sensitive to AC line noise. After leaving the system on for a while its become much more stable.  The Transceiver does not switch off as much randomly.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 08:59:33 PM »

Hi Noam,

Yes I have the hand held remote, and I do have a CAM set to A1, however when I press the #1 on the remote it does not cycle the transceiver.  The Transceiver would just click (or should I say clunk) off at random, nothing to do with using the remote at all.  I just assumed it was sensitive to AC line noise. After leaving the system on for a while its become much more stable.  The Transceiver does not switch off as much randomly.
Sounds to me like your TM751 might be going bad or something.
You might want to rotate the House code dial all the way around a few times, then back to A. Do the same for the remote. Perhaps the contacts are dirty, so it isn't really making good contact on the right code. If you still cannot control it from the handheld remote, then there might be something wrong with it.

As for powerline noise, the TM751 doesn't have a powerline receiver, so it cannot be affected by AC line noise.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:02:20 PM »

Hi Noam,

Yes I have the hand held remote, and I do have a CAM set to A1, however when I press the #1 on the remote it does not cycle the transceiver.  The Transceiver would just click (or should I say clunk) off at random, I just assumed it was sensitive to AC line noise. After leaving the system on for a while its become much more stable.  The Transceiver does not switch off as much randomly.
Line noise might prevent the TM751 PLC (power line) signal from getting to the target module (camera power supply). Line noise *should not* trigger the TM751's outlet relay, as the TM751 does not have a PLC receiver, only a RF receiver.

As Brian speculated it could be TM751 going bad, but do you have any neighbors in close proximity who could also be using X10? The "A" house code is probably the most used. Modules come set to "A" HC and folks just leave it as the house code of choice. Hence if you DO have an X10 neighbor (rare but possible) they may inadvertently controlling your TM751 with their RF remotes.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.