Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simple Scene Controller  (Read 2239 times)

ed3120

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Simple Scene Controller
« on: September 23, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »

I currently have a very simple X10 setup in my basement.

I have a single X10 switch that controls my recessed lighting.  I have an IR453 that receives IR signals and sends them to that switch.  I have a Harmony Remote that sends On/Off/Bright/Dim commands to the IR453. 

I’d like to add a second light to my setup, so I’d like to add scene capability.  (I’d like to be able to Turn off light A and Turn on Light B with one button, etc.) Is there a box that I can add to my setup that will give me this capability?  I’m looking for something $50 or less.  If I have to spend $200 on a complicated setup, then I’ll just forget about it.

(Note: My remote is a Harmony 900, which doesn’t support Sequence commands, so I can’t just create a sequence in my remote.)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Simple Scene Controller
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »

What about X10's automation controller?
http://www.x10.com/promotions/sw31a_activehome_hmp.html?TWENTY11
You would write macros to control your lights and the Harmony would trigger the macros.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

ed3120

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »

That looks like it would work. Do I need to have my PC on at all times for it to work, or does it only need to connect to the PC for the programming an updating?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 08:02:22 PM »

That looks like it would work. Do I need to have my PC on at all times for it to work, or does it only need to connect to the PC for the programming an updating?
You can use it either way. Simple macros and timers can be stored and ran from the CM15A. Complex conditional macros, the OnAlert security plug-in and some other plug-in require the computer.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 11:02:59 PM »

I use a Harmony remote, a IR453, several different X10 lights, switches and more with my Home Theater. Actually it was the theater that got me into Home Automation.

AHP, with the CM15A is certainly the way to go. Of course... as you add more devices (X10 modules, switches) the more likely you'll need to use your other electrical phase (American home have two 120 volt phases... to get the 240's at the main panel). So... don't kid yourself... there is a good chance the spending may continue.

A couple points: The IR453 can only control ONE house code. If your lights are set on House code letter "A"... and so is the IR453... any light on device added will also need to be set to "A" if you want to control them/it through the IR453.

I thought all the Harmony's supported sequence commands. I know I have macros that run through/in/on my much older Harmony.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ed3120

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 08:39:48 AM »

Yeah, I used to have a Harmony 890, and it broke, so I upgraded to the 900, which was their newer high end model. I was very surprised that they dropped sequence support on the 900. There is an uproar in the Harmony forums about it. Harmony support says it confused people. I think they realized that they could save money on tech support costs by removing a feature that could confuse novice users. What a cheap move to make, especially on their highest remote.

It's a shame, because if it had sequence support, I could do this directly with the remote.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.