Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Here is a small breakdown on this thing (IMO)  (Read 35604 times)

Chowder

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Here is a small breakdown on this thing (IMO)
« on: September 24, 2011, 01:08:27 AM »

No manual in box.  A paper stating to go to the link for the manual.  There was a small instruction booklet in half chinese, other english with general tips on it, but nothing at all about charging it first thing, etc. Go to the wiki link they mention.

Here is a small breakdown on this thing (IMO):

Pros:

-All apps I downloaded from Market are working quite well (Pandora, Netflix, Fandango, Kindle App, etc)

-easy to use, nice sized screen, with good to great quality on playback, etc.  Some actually very nice (like youtube videos in HD).

-Wireless works like a charm.  Easy to setup on my home network with key, etc..

Cons:

-Straight out of the box, I noticed after pealing off protective membrane.. screen has 1 dead pixel AND some type of dust particles (tiny to size of a flea) in middle of screen.
(this is starting to bug me some.  You don't notice the dust under the screen much when playing videos, etc.. but the dead pixel is a problem, lucky its in the upper left corner)

-No exterior volume button (this is a big problem when playing back videos, etc..)

-Camera is so-so.  Not the best quality and so far, Skype video DOES NOT WORK.

-Battery life drains fast when using on the web.  Also it gets very hot on bottom during charging.  :(

-Not as "fast" as they make it out to be... decent, very decent but I still notice lags and delays on changing some screen, etc.

-Many apps from the market that use onboard camera fail to work (fatbooth, zombiebooth, etc). All crash out.

Would I buy again: yes
Will I buy another: no
(not when it takes weeks to get)

Overall:

Decent little pad with all the same stuff you know with Android OS.   HDMI is a plus... works fine...  Battery life is too low and gets too hot.   Quality of build is decent to good.. not near Apple Ipad quality at all.  But for $200 plus change, it's worth getting.  Email, Youtube, google, netflix, craigslist and more all work fine.   

Hope this helps.  I'm still trying to get around to posting a youtube on this.  Overall like I mentioned, nice little pad to have around the house... Wife likes it and it's great for messing around with while hanging around the couch, etc.  I'm glad I got it, just not the massive delay on poor customer service from X10.   I hope they have this thing figured out by now.

tony.freeman

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Video Chat Does Not Work
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:27:57 PM »

I agree with the review but I also want to echo that VIDEO CHAT DOES NOT WORK for some reason!  Video calls with Google Talk and Skype simply do not work at all.  Why?  The camera is a front facing camera ... the only reason for a front facing camera is to do video calls ... but this is not possible with the x10 Airpad at this time.

It is inconceivable to me that video calls do not work with the x10 airpad. 

My sister-in-law will be returning her two purchases of the x10 airpad because of this issue.  I'm hoping that the x10 airpad people can make whatever changes are needed to get video chat enabled before she starts the process of returning these things.

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
Re: Video Chat Does Not Work
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:51:34 PM »

I agree with the review but I also want to echo that VIDEO CHAT DOES NOT WORK for some reason!  Video calls with Google Talk and Skype simply do not work at all.  Why?  The camera is a front facing camera ... the only reason for a front facing camera is to do video calls ... but this is not possible with the x10 Airpad at this time.

My sister-in-law will be returning her two purchases of the x10 airpad because of this issue.  I'm hoping that the x10 airpad people can make whatever changes are needed to get video chat enabled before she starts the process of returning these things.

we are in fact looking into what we can do to fix this. The part that causes the problem is actually the programs themselves though. They are looking for a rear facing camera instead of the front facing. We are hoping to find a fix for this very soon.
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

Heavy Duty

Re: Here is a small breakdown on this thing (IMO)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »

Looking for a rear facing camera doesn't make sense to me.  Skype works great on both my laptops and they don't have rear facing cameras.

q711179

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 09:55:16 PM »

Skype for pc and Skype for android are two totally different programs, in fact Skype did not work as video option until android 2.3.5 was released, so am wondering if this could be the problem since AP running 2.3.1?

YB

• X10 WTI
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 06:15:32 PM »

Skype for pc and Skype for android are two totally different programs, in fact Skype did not work as video option until android 2.3.5 was released, so am wondering if this could be the problem since AP running 2.3.1?

That is very true and a big part of the problem.
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

BeanerECMO

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 01:35:47 PM »

How about an over-the-air upgrade to the OS.

YB

• X10 WTI
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 04:05:25 PM »

How about an over-the-air upgrade to the OS.

OTA Updates are not available at this time.
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

Dannykirk

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 11:37:34 AM »

First I disagree with the first reviewer on the comment about the lack of volume controls. You can download the free MX video player and control the Airpad volume and brightness just by running your finger up and down on the screen while the video is playing. Left side swipe is brightness and right side is volume. Very Cool! and the MX video player plays every video I load into it. You can easily change the codec in the top right of the screen.

About Skype, yes the present Skype android software is looking for a rear camera and  does not give the user the ability to switch to front camera in the controls menu. Hopefully skype  will change this.

This is my third tablet, previously I was using the Wintec 7 inch tablet and I sold it on Ebay. So far the Airpad is the best android tablet I have ever used for the price I paid. The airpad processor and memory blows away many of the 7 inch cheap tablets that are presently selling. I would say the only con's on the airpad for me is the lack of blue-tooth.

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 07:24:37 AM »

"I disagree with the first reviewer on the comment about the lack of volume controls. You can download the free MX video player and control the Airpad volume and brightness just by running your finger up and down on the screen while the video is playing. Left side swipe is brightness and right side is volume. Very Cool "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well yes and no. I use MX player and it is very good but on screen touch controls of volume and brightness is not avaiable during game play,NetFlix viewing web surfing etc.

As a side note MX does not play WMA audio streamed from my media server worth a hoot but then neither do most other players.
Problem is not the server ,Wi Fi  or files as my laptops play them just fine .

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:27:55 AM by everydayflyer »

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »

From market, get "volume control" by Rubberbigpepper.   This puts a graphic volume control overlay on side of screen so you can control volume in any app. This what I use for my 8" clone android tablet without a volume control.

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »

From market, get "volume control" by Rubberbigpepper.   This puts a graphic volume control overlay on side of screen so you can control volume in any app. This what I use for my 8" clone android tablet without a volume control.

Thanks for the recomendation,seems to work great.

PaulTran

Re: Video Chat Does Not Work
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »

I agree with the review but I also want to echo that VIDEO CHAT DOES NOT WORK for some reason!  Video calls with Google Talk and Skype simply do not work at all.  Why?  The camera is a front facing camera ... the only reason for a front facing camera is to do video calls ... but this is not possible with the x10 Airpad at this time.

My sister-in-law will be returning her two purchases of the x10 airpad because of this issue.  I'm hoping that the x10 airpad people can make whatever changes are needed to get video chat enabled before she starts the process of returning these things.

we are in fact looking into what we can do to fix this. The part that causes the problem is actually the programs themselves though. They are looking for a rear facing camera instead of the front facing. We are hoping to find a fix for this very soon.

If I buy an airpad now, these feature would be already fixed? or I can do the software update when X10 release new updated software>
Thanks,

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:18:02 PM by PaulTran »

daldude

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »

Which Tablet is this review for? The one of the older X10 Tablets or the New Airpad7P or the Airpad XL?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 04:43:58 PM »

Which Tablet is this review for? The one of the older X10 Tablets or the New Airpad7P or the Airpad XL?
Based on date of the OP, and the fact it is non specific, I would guess it is about the original AirPad 7".
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.