Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Socket Rocket failure  (Read 3266 times)

Zow

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Socket Rocket failure
« on: September 30, 2011, 10:07:42 PM »

Hello - New to the board and to X10 products. I recently installed a socket rocket in a new lamppost outside with a new 100 watt bulb and it worked great for first 2 days. I found that the 'super life' bulb blew and now the socket rocket doesn't seem to respond. When I put the power on, the lamp comes on and works fine with the switch as if the socket rocket wasn't there. I read that this is indicative of a failed or defective device.  Would anyone know why ? Could it be the heat from the lightbulb using 100 watts ?  Wondering if I should put something cooler in the lamppost.  Also tried to contact X10 to get a replacement. That's not going well.  I hung up after 15 minutes of waiting on the phone... I hope that is not the norm.. Anyway, I enjoy reading the posts and look forward to playing around with the API/developer's kit that I downloaded.. Thanks !   Zow       

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Socket Rocket failure
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »

Unfortunately... when a bulb blows.... it seems to often take the Socket Rocket with it. I look for "deals" from the X10 "newsletter". Since I rarely spend more than $5 per piece a damaged part doesn't matter much.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 06:01:19 AM »

The current surge from the bulb blowing out. Damaged the electronics in the Socket Rocket.
The triac, the electronic part used to turn it On and Off, is shorted.

Some users have reported some brand bulbs being better when failing.
You may find some information by using our search feature.

You may want to try this X10 link. Though I don't know if it is better than holding on the phone.
http://www.x10.com/support/forms/warranty_exchange_request.htm
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 09:29:04 AM by Brian H »

Zow

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »

Thanks very much for feedback. I will try that link.  I did put another socket rocket in the lamppost with a new fluoresent bulb (I understand that these are a problem or something as well ? ) Thinking that it would generate less heat, I tried it anyway. It works great so far.  I've had in there for couple of days now and it's been raining for most of that time and no problems at all.  Thanks again..  Zow

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »

I did put another socket rocket in the lamppost with a new fluoresent bulb (I understand that these are a problem or something as well ? ) Thinking that it would generate less heat, I tried it anyway.
Although X10 labels the Socket Rocket as "Incandescent Only", I use them with GE 13 and 23 watt CFLs with no problems. Your mileage may vary.
FWIW: CFLs do not work with X10 two wire wall switches. If they are dimmable CFLs they may work with X10 Lamp Modules.
edited by Tuicemen to fix quote (readability)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 05:09:01 PM by Tuicemen »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Zow

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 09:08:13 PM »

Thanks again for your help.  I am using a 26 watt fluoresent bulb and it seems fine so far.  The only thing I noticed today is that it came on about 1 hour earlier than I set the timer for.  I also tested it with the rkr24 remote on my keychain and it responded as well.  It did take a few tries to get it to work correctly (off and on) but I've got the controller unit in my cellar and I'm going to add some type of wireless controller on the first floor as I think it will help boost the signal. I also tried the link you provided. Will wait and see what happens.  I'm not going to go nuts over 5 bucks either.

Thanks, Zow

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.