Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Noob to automation looking for pointers  (Read 1698 times)

freon

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Noob to automation looking for pointers
« on: February 15, 2013, 12:11:32 PM »

Hello, I have been reading much of the outdated content in the x-10 forums and have come to the conclusion that I better just ask before I buy stuff that will not accomplish my needs.
I jumped the gun and ordered ahp controller cm15 or whatever and now realize that if i want to use my existing IR remote to control lighting in my theater room I need the obsolete ir543.

Well here is what I do have: A dedicated home theater room with 2 circuits of can lighting. They have dimmable Led's par40 bulbs. They are 3way circuits.
The equipment is in enclosed closet and my remote(home theater master mx-800) does RF to IR blasters to each component. I have a Media server PC that is always on 24/7.
I have a couple Ipads and a HTPC as well.

I just need to know the best approach for controlling the 2 lighting circuits either from my ipads or from my IR remote. What current scene switches that are 3way will i need
and what type of controller for the scenes?

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Noob to automation looking for pointers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »

I would recommend looking into PCC it can be found at Tuicemen.com.  (you need the full version including the plug in pack for IR control) It will probably be more than you are looking for but it has the ability to interface with a USBuirt and can send x10 commands based on those.  I am doing exactly what you are trying to do but.  I have a CM15a for x10 devices and a Zwave think stick for my zwave stuff if the light switches are 3 way I would really recommend going to zwave devices and using the internmatic CA600 switches and a think stick.  There is a free home automation program out there called Ihouse that can control both zwave and X10.  It can be found at www.ihousehomeautomation.com  With a few simple command line and macros you can easily have control of your home theater. 

Cheers Ken

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.