Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any alternatives to IR543?  (Read 15858 times)

Jim_R

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Any alternatives to IR543?
« on: October 04, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »

My very first post here, so please be gentle.   >*<

;D

I bought a basic x10 system to turn on/off a few appliances via the web.  So far so good.  Now that I have a dedicated computer, CM15A, and time on my hands my thoughts naturally turn towards incorporating a few dimming light modules and using my Pronto remote to automagically dim lights in the "home theater".  Looks very doable except for the part where X10 decided to discontinue the IR543 and IR543AH.  Apart from Digitronex listing one on eBay for $120, I can not find a source for a IR543AH.  (If anyone has a working one to sell at a reasonable price, please PM!)  I have searched for alternatives, and found the Marmitek IRRF7243, which looks like it would be a viable option, if only it was sold in the USA.  Any other solutions out there?  Just want to be able to program a Pronto to send IR codes via a Pronto Macro that will control a couple of LM465's. 

Jim

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Any alternatives to IR543?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:37:31 PM »

Which Pronto?

If one that can send RF, it's 418MHz (in the USA) and you could replace the RF receiver in your CM15A with a 418MHz version. One complication is that Pronto sends a preamble to all RF codes to identify which of its RF-to-IR modules it's addressing. This probably will not be a problem. Of course, your CM15A will no longer respond to X-10 RF remotes.

I don't know whether it's still available but Laser.com (UK) used to sell a converted IR543 they called the IR543AH (all housecode) which you could control with a Pronto - they even had a CCF file with all the codes which included extended dim. Also, X10 Europe copied it and sell an IR7243WRF which is a 230V version of the IR543 - it should not be too hard to convert it to 120V and 418MHz, if it's still available.

If your Pronto is older, see http://davehouston.org/pronto.htm, an article I wrote a few years back. I don't know whether WenShing still sells 310MHz transmitters and I no longer sell the amplifier (just an opamp) although I may have a handful of bare boards about somewhere. Since it was sending both RF & IR, it tended to drain the batteries daily.

I long ago gave both of my Prontos to relatives so I cannot test anything.

Another approach would be to build an IR to RF repeater which would not be too difficult to design/build as long as you send the RF codes as IR (it's actually NEC's IR protocol) and use a 310MHz transmitter.

I'm awaiting delivery of another 315 MHz transmitter from China - I want to see whether it's practical to convert it to 310MHz. If so, I'll post here.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:51:12 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:40:16 PM »

....Now that I have a dedicated computer, CM15A, and time on my hands my thoughts naturally turn towards incorporating a few dimming light modules and using my Pronto remote to automagically dim lights in the "home theater". 

Since you're running a PC 24/7 anyway.... you could use the BVC software to run the USB-UIRT (same Site) or here. The software will allow you to use an IR command (maybe one used to turn on your projector or TV) to trigger a AHP macro... which could not ONLY send a limitless number of X10 commands... but also other IR commands that you program into the computer using your remote (sorta like a learning remote process).

I use the PowerMid IR resending devices to get the IR signals to my Home Automation PC/USB-UIRT and back to where they are needed. Here is a short YouTube Video I made where I used the setup to to Voice Command a fan. Of course it can also be done with IR.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Jim_R

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:12:15 AM »

dhouston, I have two older Prontos, a Pronto TSU1000 and a TSU2000. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide the info in your post!  I am very interested in modification one of them per your first link, please do advise regarding your success with the transmitter you have coming from China. Too bad you don't still sell the amplifiers, my soldering skills are likely a bit rusty, but I'd love to follow in your footsteps on this one.  

Thanks also for the links posted to Laser.com, I will contact them to make sure, but it appears they do still offer the ir543ah, (at 55 GBP approximately $80 US) although their US distributor appears to have gone out of business.  I have another home theater setup at a different location where I covet an ir543 or ir543ah and a couple ws12a decorative wall switches to ramp up/down lighting.

Jim_R

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »

Since you're running a PC 24/7 anyway.... you could use the BVC software to run the USB-UIRT (same Site) or here. The software will allow you to use an IR command (maybe one used to turn on your projector or TV) to trigger a AHP macro... which could not ONLY send a limitless number of X10 commands... but also other IR commands that you program into the computer using your remote (sorta like a learning remote process).

I use the PowerMid IR resending devices to get the IR signals to my Home Automation PC/USB-UIRT and back to where they are needed. Here is a short YouTube Video I made where I used the setup to to Voice Command a fan. Of course it can also be done with IR.

Thanks HADave,  I'll take a look!  I actually have an old IR repeater lying in a drawer somewhere which functions mucj like the PowerMid.  I'll look closely at how the PC receives the IR commands - I suspect I'm going to be kicking myself for recently junking an old pc that had an IR receiver card and port that installed in a 3.5 floppy slot.  As my wife would tell you, I almost never throw anything away!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 10:04:57 AM »

For others with later Prontos...

I can't recall that I actually tested this but the Powermids should work with the 418MHz IR from the TSU3000 and later Prontos as well as the Universal MX3000 which also uses 418MHz.

The only possible complication is the preamble they send to identify which RF-to-IR repeater module is being addressed. You can see an oscilloscope (actually a .WAV file recorded using Line-In) at the bottom of this web page...
I think all X-10 RF receivers will see the preamble as noise and ignore it - the actual code is easily distinguished. However, IR receivers may have problems with this when repeated as IR by the Powermids. IR receivers usually see a mostly noise free input.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 01:23:28 PM »

... please do advise regarding your success with the transmitter you have coming from China.
It came in today's mail. It has a through-hole 315MHz SAW resonator stamped AUKR315A. If we can find a 310MHz version, it will be a fairly simple matter to convert it - just change the resonator.

Here's a link to the supplier - it's the third down (TM20-1)...

Their RM1SG receiver is very wideband and can be used to receive X10 as well as several other devices that use nearby frequencies.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 01:13:45 PM »

Thanks also for the links posted to Laser.com, I will contact them to make sure, but it appears they do still offer the ir543ah, (at 55 GBP approximately $80 US)
They also list the add-in board to turn an IR543 into an IR543AH.

luke03

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »

If you just want a 310MHz transmitter, this post from another baord showing how to do it:
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20047

jr_00_22

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 06:24:52 PM »

I know that some people can do some amazing things so I will ask does anyone know how to build a IR543? I can put things together but I need schematics. I don't need the buttons on top just the IR receiver part.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »

Assuming you want it to receive X10 IR codes and repeat them as X10 PLC codes, it's a bit more complicated than just a schematic. You will need a µController of some sort that is programmed to accomplish the desired transformation. And, you'll need to decide how you will feed the PLC to the powerline.

The X10 IR format is documented on my webpage at http://davehouston.org/ir.htm.

The simplest way to do the PLC side is with a PL513 or PSC04.

ZBasic's $10 ZX-328n chip has low-level X-10 PLC functions built-in. They operate in the background automatically. All you have to do is populate a bit array with the bits you want to send.

My ZarduinoTM project is a bit behind schedule as I had to have some of the key PCBs remade. I should have the new ones in 10-14 days. I will write an application note showing how to do this although it may not happen very quickly as there are higher priorities.

I'm not sure I can find the documentation for handling extended codes using Laser's protocol. I'm sure I had it back when the IR543AH was introduced but have no idea where it may be now. If I can find it, I'll incorporate it.  If not, I think the owner of Laser may let me have it again, if he still has it. That would allow anyone who has a programmable remote to extend the capabilities beyond those of the original IR543.

jr_00_22

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 08:04:42 PM »

Why could someone not just reverse engineer the ir543 use the same hardware to clone it a boom you have a ir543. Is it because even if you have he same hardware you still have to program it?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 07:34:20 AM »

You would still need to program the µController. And, even if you could find the CircuitCellar article mentioned in another thread, there are better ways to do it today w/o using 15-20 year old technology. I do have a PDF copy of the article with the schematic. If you PM me with your email, I'll send you a copy. I don't know whether RadioShack sold the IR543 but, if they did, you might find a parts list online with RadioShack part numbers, although I doubt they still stock them.

My RR5x5TM project will include an isolated input channel that can be configured for an IR receiver but it is a few months off - ZarduinoTM takes priority.

It would be a fairly simple task to build this using my Zarduino-28TM, ZBasic ZX-328n, Zarduino Prototyper shieldTM and PL513.

jr_00_22

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 09:15:20 AM »

Easy to build you say? Maybe for you, I am getting just a little lost. I'm good at following directions, not so much on programing. After you finish your project lets assume that I am able to follow instructions well enough to build one for myself, will it be cost effective for what I am trying to accomplish? I think what you're doing is great. I wish I had an understanding of circuits like you do.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »

As I wrote earlier in the thread I'll publish an application note which will provide the needed details along with the firmware to download to the ZX-328n chip. It's mostly a matter of plugging things into each other with minimal soldering. You would merely have to assign X-10 codes to the received IR codes which can either be the protocol Laser used in the IR543AH (they had a Pronto CCF file IIRC) or can be arbitrary in the same manner as you would do with USB-UIRT.

As I'm not selling the ZarduinoTM boards (When ready http://www.YourDuino.com) I'm not sure of final prices but I think this can be built for around $50-60, including the PL513 and 5V SMPS.

It's unfortunate that the wide-band TSOP1100 IR receiver module was discontinued. It was ideal for this type of application as it could receive from 33-57kHz which covers most consumer IR devices. You might look at this...
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.