Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Information Hungry  (Read 14350 times)

jph4450

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Information Hungry
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:57:13 PM »

ok i have been searching the x10 website for days now trying to find some kind of informatin source on all of their security products. something i could use to familiarize myself with all of the security products offered. I am hoping for something that i can sit down and study and get a "working knowledge" of the various systems and components. I havn't really found anything that would help me with this other than each individual instalation manual. anyone got any ideas? i apreciate any and all help i can get

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Information Hungry
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »

You might check the X10 wiki page
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 12:32:55 PM »

I am hoping for something that i can sit down and study and get a "working knowledge" of the various systems and components.

Like Tuicemen posted "the X10 wiki page" is a good source of info. But these are security devices... so don't expect to find vast amounts of data in a study guide. Reading here at the forum is probably the best way to learn everything about the X10 system. you'll read about the problems... and the solutions. Much of what you learn about the X10 alarm system will be useful for other [brand] alarm systems. Alarms are all pretty much... at least in concept... the same.

X10 offers an extremely limited number of components. If your thinking of building a complex setup with glass breakage detection, vibration sensors, or even an outside siren some DIY modifications will need to be made. The forum would be the only source I know of to find help for such projects.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

jph4450

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »

ok thanks i will check out the wiki page.. is not so much that im lookin to build an elaborate system. but i am trying to work a small business out of this and i need to know as much as possible about the products so i can suggest them to people and then install them in their home. also i don't want to look like i don't know what im doing when i get there to install something..so thats the kind of info i really need

William8

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 06:09:49 PM »

X-10 seems to be discontinuing all their security products, they have went into receivership. If you are starting a business, you may need to look elsewhere, so you have a supply of parts and systems.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 07:11:23 PM »

......... they have went into receivership.

I have also read that... rumor. But haven't seen an official notice to that yet. Do you have a link?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:24:31 PM »

That is about all I have seen also.
Rumors but no official comment from X10.
Though they have cut off the Affiliate Program for the rest of 2011 and X10 dealers are saying prices went up and supplies went down for them.
http://www.x10.com/affiliate_vip/index_affiliate.htm

William8

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 11:14:44 PM »

I have also read that... rumor. But haven't seen an official notice to that yet. Do you have a link?

A couple articles, they claim X10 announced it:

X10 announced on August 11, 2011 that it is going into receivership and will be shutting down it’s factories.

http://techtipsandtoys.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/x10-shutting-down-going-into-receivership/

More recently:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Announcements/X10-Going-into-Receivership.html

I suppose it could just be rumors, but with X10 products becoming harder to find, the affiliate program being shut down, and X10 selling all kinds of new products from other manufacturers, it seems more likely than not. I'd certainly want to find out for sure before I started a new business based on X10 products. Although it seems odd to start a security business using DIY products in the first place,
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:36:12 PM by William8 »

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »

Another observation whether related or not is that X10 does not seem to be pushing their extended warranties in their shopping cart.  In fact I don't see that option.... Could be change in their business model or you could infer the worst case thoughts

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »

Another observation whether related or not is that X10 does not seem to be pushing their extended warranties in their shopping cart.  In fact I don't see that option.... Could be change in their business model or you could infer the worst case thoughts
$0.02
Since extended warranty dollars is "free money" most of the time, I doubt it is a (voluntary) change in their business model....but then I usually am a "the darn glass is half empty" type of guy...sigh.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »

A couple articles, they claim X10 announced it: X10 announced on August 11, 2011 that it is going into receivership and will be shutting down it’s factories.
http://techtipsandtoys.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/x10-shutting-down-going-into-receivership/
More recently: http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Announcements/X10-Going-into-Receivership.html [/quote]

Yeah... I think most of us have seen that. But I don't know of anyone that has found that "August 11th announcement" (mentioned at DJ’s Sound City's BLOG). DJ's may be a great news source... but I haven't developed that trust level with DJ's.... yet. I am NOT saying it isn't true.... but I think its unfair to X10 (and this IS their forum) to just spread what is [albeit credible] just a rumor.

Maybe a lawyer might be able to shed more light on the process. But... isn't receivership a court aided settling of debt. Whereas this isn't an ideal situation for any business it also isn't sure death ether.

William8

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »

No, it's not certain death. A receiver is usually appointed to run the company, liquidate assets, shut down unprofitable divisions etc. Chapter 11 has much better odds of surviving.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 05:01:40 PM »

To me, the fact that an officer of X10 has not tried to squelch the "out of business" noise, speaks loudly.

Rumors of receivership, bankruptcy, or "out of business" talk, will seriously hurt a business. So, if not true, I would have expected intense denial by now.

Although I have been critical of X10 quality over past few years, I am unhappy at what I hear now.

Although old, the following articles speak to some of the products and innovations X10 has developed over the past three decades, and to one of the X10 more public leader and innovator.

http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/jun97/articles/x10.htm
http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/oct99/articles/rye/rye.htm
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 06:01:39 PM »

Not to add fuel to the fire, but there are other manufactures of x10 products, most are based on UK standards, But Im sure if x10.com does go belly up, there will be other companies that will step in.. check out http://www.chinasuppliers.globalsources.com/china-suppliers/X10-Switches.htm.

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »

To me, the fact that an officer of X10 has not tried to squelch the "out of business" noise, speaks loudly.
Rumors of receivership, bankruptcy, or "out of business" talk, will seriously hurt a business. So, if not true, I would have expected intense denial by now.

X10 has stated more than once since these rumors started... That "X10 isn't going away anytime soon." And/or "X10 will be around for a long time" [or similar words]. Why would any Corporation reply to DJ’s Sound City's BLOG.... anyway? I mean... who the hell is DJ anyway? I think maybe we should all email DJ [at: info@djsoundcity.com] and ask him/her/them for any source documentation they have for X10 USA (NOT UK/Marmitek). Let us put an end to gossip and rumor and get to the facts.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.