Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Video Sender Pro Interference  (Read 18467 times)

billhur

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Video Sender Pro Interference
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:51:05 AM »

I purchased the video sender pro and have had trouble with it, the units are just 50 feet away from eachother but once or twice a week we get a terrible interference. I know its not my home network or phones or it would happen constantly. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Video Sender Pro Interference
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:34:56 PM »

1. Wireless network.
2. 2.4 GHz corless phone.
3. Microwave oven.

1. and 2. would not necessarily be constant. Both can change frequencies automatically so one could be interfereing only when/if it selects a frequency very close to the frequency the video sender is using.

When you get the interference, how long does it last?
When you get the interference, is phone or wireless connection or microwave in use?
When you get the interference have you tried switching the channel on the Sender and Receiver?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 12:52:16 PM »

1. Wireless network.
2. 2.4 GHz corless phone.
3. Microwave oven.

Interference from these is less likely with the Video Sender PRO, which is supposed to be 900 MHz.
They did that on purpose, to move away from the more crowded 2.4 GHz frequencies.

The suggestion to change the channel on the sender and receiver is probably the best place to start.
that, and adjusting / re-orienting the antennas so they are as lined up as possible.

Look for other sources of 900 MHz interference:
older cordless phones
wireless intercoms
baby monitors

Try to track when the problem happens, and see if it is a specific time of day. It could be interference coming from something in a neighbor's house, too.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »

The Pro units only have one channel.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »

The Pro units only have one channel.

Good to know. (I don't have any)

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 02:08:05 PM »

Interference from these is less likely with the Video Sender PRO, which is supposed to be 900 MHz.
They did that on purpose, to move away from the more crowded 2.4 GHz frequencies.

The suggestion to change the channel on the sender and receiver is probably the best place to start.
that, and adjusting / re-orienting the antennas so they are as lined up as possible.

Look for other sources of 900 MHz interference:
older cordless phones
wireless intercoms
baby monitors

Try to track when the problem happens, and see if it is a specific time of day. It could be interference coming from something in a neighbor's house, too.

Noam, you are absolutely right and I am at bozo level one or two.  I did not pick up on the "Pro" version in the OP.
Thanks for the correction!
Appologies to billhur.

billhur

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:45:17 PM »

my network operates on a 2.4 range and microwave shouldnt matter. I think it must be a neighbor using a cordless phone from ancient rome or a baby monitor. it only does it a couple nights a week and it always seems to be at night, Is there a way i can jam their signal or do something offensive to end the frequency clash? perhaps put a signal booster on my cable system or something?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 06:36:23 AM »

There are lots of devices sharing the 900MHz band.
The Pro uses 921MHz {from the FCC Database}.
You may get some clues. If you can temporarily turn Off the sender, when the interference is happening and see what you can hear or see with the receiver.

Not much you can do to eliminate it. Other then carefully aiming the transmitter and receivers antennas.
Raising the transmitters power would make it an illegal device in the FCC's eyes.

billhur

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »

There are lots of devices sharing the 900MHz band.
The Pro uses 921MHz {from the FCC Database}.
You may get some clues. If you can temporarily turn Off the sender, when the interference is happening and see what you can hear or see with the receiver.

Not much you can do to eliminate it. Other then carefully aiming the transmitter and receivers antennas.
Raising the transmitters power would make it an illegal device in the FCC's eyes.

ok i tried turning off the sender i get a white band across the TV no sound. I even broke out the baby monitor i have in storage in attempt to hear if there is one in range, no dice. I dont care about the FCC can you raise the transmitter power and if so how?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:00:44 PM »

Is the 50 feet open range or is there anything in between the transmitter and receiver? Like a wall or two.

I don't know of any easy way to increase the transmitters output. It uses a single IC that does everything from frequency generation, video and audio modulation and transmitter stage all in one. I also can't find any data on the RTC6703 IC. Even in Chinese.   ???
Though the schematics of the VT50A and VR50A are in the FCC Database.

50 feet is not that far. It must be quite a strong interference signal.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:12:57 PM by Brian H »

billhur

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 06:12:17 PM »

Is the 50 feet open range or is there anything in between the transmitter and receiver? Like a wall or two.

I don't know of any easy way to increase the transmitters output. It uses a single IC that does everything from frequency generation, video and audio modulation and transmitter stage all in one. I also can't find any data on the RTC6703 IC. Even in Chinese.   ???
Though the schematics of the VT50A and VR50A are in the FCC Database.

50 feet is not that far. It must be quite a strong interference signal.

there are 2 walls from transmit to reciever. we live on the 8th floor of a large apartment tower. I pulled out our baby monitor to see if i was getting anything and didnt tho it may be on a different channel even tho our monitor you can choose from multiple channels. then again the room with the baby transmitter could be quiet so i may be shooting a dead horse, I also tried broadcasting by placing the baby monitor transmitter by a radio and shouted in it for a couple hours, no response from that. I figured if someone was using a baby monitor the heavy metal and me telling them I can hear them (lying to get them to change monitor signal or device) would have made some difference. I think whats going on is someone is using a 900mhz phone and when they have it in their living room in its charger its not broadcasting interference... since we are back to back bedrooms above and below and astride I think they are putting the cordless phone next to their bed and its effecting the signal.

I dont know what to do after already spending 60 bucks on the pro sender i should have tried the regular one with channel changing ability first before blowing my cash on the pro. the salesmen talked me into the pro because of possible interference, i should not have listened, tried the regular and then returned for the pro if the regular didnt work, however the saleman told me they were out of regular ones when i ordered as well.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »

Oh your location has lots of potential tenants using 900MHz devices.
The 2.4GHz ones may have not been much better. I would expect many tenants have wireless networks that are known to interfere.

Now they are out of the 2.4Ghz models. One more model to add to the growing X10 "Out Of Stock" List.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:27:09 PM by Brian H »

billhur

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 01:37:11 AM »

Oh your location has lots of potential tenants using 900MHz devices.
The 2.4GHz ones may have not been much better. I would expect many tenants have wireless networks that are known to interfere.

Now they are out of the 2.4Ghz models. One more model to add to the growing X10 "Out Of Stock" List.

guess im screwed then   :(

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 01:32:45 PM »

guess im screwed then   :(
It sounds like it.

You could always try to exchange the 900MHz unit for the 2.4GHz model if X10 decides to build more. Or see if anyone on the forum would exchange their 2.4GHz unit, Or try and determine which neighbor is causing the interference and convince them they need a new phone....

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.