Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SDK doesn't send RF commands  (Read 4642 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
SDK doesn't send RF commands
« on: October 27, 2011, 12:57:02 AM »

I have a script in AHK that I've been using for quite some time without too much difficulty.  I recently updated the code to include a pair of MS16A motion sensors.  All I'm doing is watching the "ON" command.  When it is seen, I turn on a light and set a timer.  When the timer expires I turn off the light.  If "ON" is seen again before the timer expires, I reset the timer.  FWIW, the only reason to do this with AHK instead of AHP is that I can't reset a timer with AHP.

So, here's the problem...For some reason I'm only seeing a portion of the "ON" commands.  I'd say that the first 3 or 4 commands are not sent out via the SDK.  Does anyone know why that might be?  As a result, I've been having a delay of up to 30 seconds before the light turns on.  That is unacceptable for me and especially my wife!  If it weren't seeing the command, I'd guess the problem was wireless range related.  As it is, I know the wireless is being seen, so this is an issue with the SDK since the AHP log shows the commands.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
Re: SDK doesn't send RF commands
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 02:24:51 AM »

I've been looking at my logs for both AHP and the AHK script.  It looks like it's sending most commands most of the time.  I know I saw an instance from last weekend where AHP saw 3 or 4 motion sensor "ON" commands but only sent the last one to AHK.  As a result, the lights took 30 seconds to turn on.

I guess I'll have to continue to watch things to see if something is consistently going wrong.  Hopefully, someone that's seen this type of stuff before will chime in with some insight.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
Re: SDK doesn't send RF commands
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 02:39:24 PM »

Well, it appears that part of my problem is the signal being received and the other part is the SDK not necessarily sending the signal out.  I can say that when the motion sensors (MS16A) were being tested, all locations worked fine as far as sending and receiving the signal.  Once I mounted the sensors, I was getting HORRIBLE range issues.  It appears that this is due to metal next to the sensors (metal gutters for 2 and a metal bracket for the 3rd).  I have removed the 2 with the gutter issue since they won't work at all (even with full length passive antennas).  The 3rd sensor needs to be relocated, but it's mostly working (~85% of the time) by adding a 1/4 passive antenna.

Also, I can verify that metal is an issue with these even if the sensor and CM15A antenna are not split by a large metal object.  I tested the motion sensor in my hand and it worked to the range I need.  I then placed it on my pinball machine (metal rails and panels) and got zero reception.

I'll have to get these things working correctly before I worry about the SDK.  Hopefully, installation locations will sort out all of the issues.

Oh, probably the wrong place for this, but does anyone have a solution for sealing the sensors?  One of mine didn't include both of the silicon gaskets so I'm worried that water will get inside and corrode the contacts.  I contacted X10 and they said they would RMA the sensor, but then I'd be paying shipping to send back a sensor (~$5 + time + gas) for a gasket that's worth <$0.01.  Doesn't make sense...  I was thinking just putting a spot of silicon sealant on the screw before installing...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.