Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CM15a works with RF but not AHP  (Read 8568 times)

melede

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15a works with RF but not AHP
« on: October 28, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »

The CM15a is the only transceiver in my system. All modules are on one phase with the CM15a. I have an XPCR connected in the panel with the red wire on the non-module phase and the black wire on the same phase with the modules Does it matter where the RED/BLACK wires are connected on the buss? My intent was to use the BOOST feature to overpower spurious noise. I do have XPPF plug ins on 2 suspected noise generators and a XPF on my computers to isolate them from rest of the house wiring. The CM15a is on the same circuit as the PCs but ahead of the XPF and not connected to any surge protectors etc.

The modules respond 90+% of the time from an RF command from any one of several wireless controllers. However, commands from the PC console directly to the AHP are very iffy. AHP software is 3.316.

One last very odd item: I have an old (very old) X-10 Powerhouse CP290 RS 232 interface that worked very well 20+ years ago. It has been sitting in a box for a long time. I plugged it in and it does issue commands on the A house code. It has 8 rocker buttons for ON/OFF. Does any one have the software for this antique? The various plug in controllers I have--all very old--seem to work quite well with all the modules in my system. I suspect they are sending a stronger signal than the CM15a.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: CM15a works with RF but not AHP
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 02:15:29 PM »

I have an old (very old) X-10 Powerhouse CP290 RS 232 interface that worked very well 20+ years ago. It has been sitting in a box for a long time. I plugged it in and it does issue commands on the A house code. It has 8 rocker buttons for ON/OFF. Does any one have the software for this antique? The various plug in controllers I have--all very old--seem to work quite well with all the modules in my system. I suspect they are sending a stronger signal than the CM15a.

http://www.nytrix.com/help/x-10.html

Your assertion that everything else puts out a stronger signal than the CM15A is correct according to many posts on the forum. Get a repeater.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

melede

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 03:04:03 PM »

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression the XPCR was a repeater. If not, do you have a recommendation? I have a TM751 on a different house code for some motion detectors. I have an unused RR501 that could be employed. I flushed the CM15a and reloaded the timers and macros with no change. Virtually all the wireless controllers work normally included (more or less) dimming. Commands from the PC interface are very iffy mostly a no go. Likewise, timers associated with a module in the AHP interface don't seem to work very reliably either.

Thanks again.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »

XPCR is a repeater but it is taking the X10 signal from the CM15A phase and sending on the opposite phase. It will not repeat the CM15As commands back to the same phase.

Maybe the XTB or XTBR module. In that case you would plug the CM15A into the XTB and it would send a much stronger signal on the power line.
http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_description.htm
http://jvde.us//xtb/XTBR_description.htm
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:26:30 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression the XPCR was a repeater.
Indeed it is. Sorry I missed that.  I was just concentrating on your point that the CP290 seemed to have a stronger output compared to the CM15A and missed the part about your XPCR. Sorry.

I am not a big fan of the XPCR (had three under X10 and Leviton brands). But the XPCR will amplify the X10 signal on both phases (second frame only on the originating phase). 

It does not have the "oomph" that the XTBIIR has, but is better than nothing, or a passive coupler.

melede

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 05:08:36 PM »

XPCR is a repeater but it is taking the X10 signal from the CM15A phase and sending on the opposite phase. It will not repeat the CM15As commands back to the same phase.

Maybe the XTB or XTBR module. In that case you would plug the CM15A into the XTB and it would send a much stronger signal on the power line.
http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_description.htm
http://jvde.us//xtb/XTBR_description.htm
Brian,
I could move the 115 vac line cord from the CM15a to the non module phase. Am I correct in assuming the red wire is the "input" to the XPCR and the 1st black wire the "output"? It still seems odd to me that the RF commands seem to work just fine but the timers, macros or interface commands don't work. They do show up on the activity log as well. This indicates the PLC commands are hitting the house wiring. The disconnect seems to be at the interface level. RF commands are going directly into PLC.

I recall some posts here or elsewhere about manually generating PLC commands with a batch file is there anyplace I can access to explore this approach. It may be worth while to replace the CM15a but I understand they are no longer available. 

Thanks for your help.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 06:44:37 PM »

Not exactly.
The Red is one phase and the Black the other phase. With respect to neutral.
A power line signal received on the Black will be sent back on the Red. A power line signal on the Red will be sent back on the Black.
Basically the signal on one phase is resent on the other phase.
You do have the Black on one phase, Red on the other phase, White on the neutral and the remaining Black capped off?

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 05:19:04 PM »

Not exactly.
The Red is one phase and the Black the other phase. With respect to neutral.
A power line signal received on the Black will be sent back on the Red. A power line signal on the Red will be sent back on the Black.
Basically the signal on one phase is resent on the other phase.
You do have the Black on one phase, Red on the other phase, White on the neutral and the remaining Black capped off?

FWIW I believe the second frame of the signal is amplified on the originating phase, so the outcome is; a stronger signal on both phase in the home.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 07:00:10 PM »

Could be dave. I have no personal experiences with an XPCR and just did a few quick tests with a Leviton HCA02 & 6201. Also a ACT CR234.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »

Could be dave. I have no personal experiences with an XPCR and just did a few quick tests with a Leviton HCA02 & 6201. Also a ACT CR234.
I thought they all worked the same, in that, the X10 signal gets amplified on both phases(?).

melede

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »

Could be Dave. I have no personal experiences with an XPCR and just did a few quick tests with a Leviton HCA02 & 6201. Also a ACT CR234.
I thought they all worked the same, in that, the X10 signal gets amplified on both phases(?).

ALL: I don't think the "input" signal is repeated on both the red and black phases. If they were there would be double commands on the originating phase which the Activity log does not show.

90+% of commands sent via a wireless (HR12a) or any plug-in controller work well. Still the question is why do the RF commands to the Cm15a respond relatively reliably but the timers and macros are very iffy. I am also getting odd commands showing up. I have a few motion detectors on house code A. An OFF code on A4 generates an ON code on A5. This doesn't hurt anything as I have nothing on this code but I'm curious as to what is generating the command.

Thanks again for your help.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 04:05:45 PM »

ALL: I don't think the "input" signal is repeated on both the red and black phases. If they were there would be double commands on the originating phase which the Activity log does not show.

90+% of commands sent via a wireless (HR12a) or any plug-in controller work well. Still the question is why do the RF commands to the Cm15a respond relatively reliably but the timers and macros are very iffy. I am also getting odd commands showing up. I have a few motion detectors on house code A. An OFF code on A4 generates an ON code on A5. This doesn't hurt anything as I have nothing on this code but I'm curious as to what is generating the command.

I don't have any experience with the XPCR, so I can't tell you if it amplifies the signal on the receiving phase or not.

As for the RF signals, do you have any other RF transceivers in your home? If you have another RF transceiver, it may be picking up the RF signal, and broadcasting it out with more power than the CM15A is doing.

As for the "extra" A5 codes, some of the motion sensors also have day/night sensors built in, which used the next higher unit code (or unit code 1 if the motion sensor was on 16).
So, if the A4 motion sensor is turning on a light nearby, then when the light on A4 goes on, the motion sensor thinks it is daytime, and sends an "A5 Off" command. When the light goes out, the motion sensor thinks it is nighttime, and sends the "A5 On" command.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 04:24:06 PM »

X10 commands are comprised of a doublet with two identical halves.  A repeater receives the first half and overlays it in bit sync with the second half.  So only the second half of the command is boosted in amplitude.  No additional commands are sent.  A receiving module only has to receive one half to take action.  If the direct first half is too weak for it to respond, the "repeated" second half should be stronger.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 06:04:40 PM »

X10 commands are comprised of a doublet with two identical halves.  A repeater receives the first half and overlays it in bit sync with the second half.  So only the second half of the command is boosted in amplitude.  No additional commands are sent.  A receiving module only has to receive one half to take action.  If the direct first half is too weak for it to respond, the "repeated" second half should be stronger.

Jeff
Jeff -
Is that how the XTB-IIR works, too (for both signals coming in the front outlet, and commands received from either phase)?

melede

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 06:12:01 PM »

I don't have any experience with the XPCR, so I can't tell you if it amplifies the signal on the receiving phase or not.

As for the RF signals, do you have any other RF transceivers in your home? If you have another RF transceiver, it may be picking up the RF signal, and broadcasting it out with more power than the CM15A is doing.

As for the "extra" A5 codes, some of the motion sensors also have day/night sensors built in, which used the next higher unit code (or unit code 1 if the motion sensor was on 16).
So, if the A4 motion sensor is turning on a light nearby, then when the light on A4 goes on, the motion sensor thinks it is daytime, and sends an "A5 Off" command. When the light goes out, the motion sensor thinks it is nighttime, and sends the "A5 On" command.

Noam,

I do not have any other transceivers on the same house code. Thanks for the info on the A5 code. AS I said, other than generating some extra commands, it this time it isn't hurting anything.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.