Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: No more CM15A's  (Read 26428 times)

uh60james

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
No more CM15A's
« on: November 03, 2011, 11:48:38 PM »

So I see on here people are reporting getting the near worthless CM19 instead of CM15A's?  Is that still the case?  I order some items today and one package supposedly included a CM15A.  This is not good at all if I get a CM19 which will be worthless to me.  I notice they are now listing a CM15K with ActiveHome PC under the daily deals.  Anyone know whats going on?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: No more CM15A's
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:28:41 AM »

Well the deals page and actual sales page for the kit are confusing.
If you read the whats included. On the kits page itself.
It says a CM15K is a PC transceiver and RF transceiver combination.
That means a CM19A with a TM751 transceiver. As the photo on the kits sales page clearly shows a CM19A.
Though the deals page photo shows a CM15A.  :o
http://www.x10.com/promotions/sw31a_activehome_push.html?EM
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:00:47 AM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »

It says a CM15K is a PC transceiver and RF transceiver combination.

From my experience , a "K" at the end of the item number identifies it as a "kit," consisting of a few components.
I guess they ran out of CM15A's (the "A" indicating the US/Canada version), and decided to put together a kit of a CM19A, and a TM751. I guess they figured they could sneak it past unsuspecting users if they called it a "CM15", since that's what people are looking for.

There were reports of other people ordering a CM15A, and getting a CM19A/TM751 instead. I wonder if they really ordered a CM15K, and got exactly what they ordered.

However, a closer look at the writeup mentions specifically the CM15A:
This App sends wireless commands from your phone over your home Wi-Fi network to ActiveHome Pro on your PC. ActiveHome Pro instantly wirelessly transmits the commands to your Transceiver (or ActiveHome Pro PC Interface - CM15A), which delivers the commands to your light/appliance modules.

Pretty sneaky on X10's part if you ask me. While it might not *technically* be false advertising, but it is deliberately misleading, and it is a very dishonest way to market the product.

uh60james

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:35:25 AM »

Here is the product I ordered which as of the time of this post does state CM15A and in the narrative it also states "It even works when your computer is off."  That is kind of the point of the CM15A for me since I don't have a desktop computer anymore.  The CM19 is a serious downgrade in my opinion and I think at the very least the CM15K is deceptive.  Generally if you go to a higher number letter or number at the end of a product that would indicate an updated version ie. CM15K would be a newer version of CM15K.  I already expect to get a CM19A and all the other components will be practically useless to me until I can figure out an alternative to the real CM15A.

http://www.x10.com/whatsincluded/CM15A-ED-LOW-EMPL-PROMO.html

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 10:03:35 AM »

Pretty sneaky on X10's part if you ask me. While it might not *technically* be false advertising, but it is deliberately misleading, and it is a very dishonest way to market the product.
This kind of deception will do nothing less than light the afterburners on X10's desent. Pretty sad.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 10:26:27 AM »

Here is the product I ordered which as of the time of this post does state CM15A and in the narrative it also states "It even works when your computer is off."  That is kind of the point of the CM15A for me since I don't have a desktop computer anymore.  The CM19 is a serious downgrade in my opinion and I think at the very least the CM15K is deceptive.  Generally if you go to a higher number letter or number at the end of a product that would indicate an updated version ie. CM15K would be a newer version of CM15K.  I already expect to get a CM19A and all the other components will be practically useless to me until I can figure out an alternative to the real CM15A.

http://www.x10.com/whatsincluded/CM15A-ED-LOW-EMPL-PROMO.html

In this case, X10 uses the letter at the end to indicate a different geographical version (CM15E is the European 220V version, for example).

However, the page you linked to CLEARLY states a CM15A. If they sent you something different, you have a right to demand they correct it, or issue a FULL refund (shipping included). If they don't want to, then go through your credit card company.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 10:29:09 AM »

The supply of Maxi Controllers dried up last summer, but they are back now.  Hopefully this is just a temporary supply problem with the CM15A.  One eBay dealer has a gazillion CM11A's from a special build for sale.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

bvrwally

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 10:30:33 AM »

Yep...I had the same problem last month myself! They snuck a CM19 in on me for the price of a CM15 didn't think I'd notice!!!! It went directly back! :(
ActiveHome..SmartMacros..MyHouseonLine...ActivePhone...IwatchMobilePro...HotBodyAlert

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 10:35:46 AM »

This kind of deception will do nothing less than light the afterburners on X10's desent. Pretty sad.

Well, Jeff has already said (in no uncertain terms), that he has no desire to build a replacement for the CM15A (I already told him I'd be first in line to buy an XTB15A, but he didn't bite ;) ).
If X10 is out of CM15A's, and doesn't look like they are getting any more any time soon, there is an opening for someone else (Smarthome, perhaps?) to step in and fill the gap. Their own hardware/software combination leaves a lot to be desired (according to a friend of mine who went from X10 to Insteon to solve reliability issues). It does Insteon ok (it doesn't have the same features as AHP with a CM15A, though, and has even fewer features when it comes to controlling X10).

I'm thinking of something with the CM15A's feature list (minus the bugs), a better RF transceiver coupled with an external antenna port, Ethernet (WiFi as an added option, perhaps?),  a built-in web server with GOOD (upgradable) software, and good battery backup. 

Anyone want to make it happen?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 10:54:17 AM »

If X10 is out of CM15A's, and doesn't look like they are getting any more any time soon, there is an opening for someone else (Smarthome, perhaps?) to step in and fill the gap.

A number of my customers have migrated away from the ActiveHome Pro GUI to HomeSeer, HCA, or one of the other PC-based automation systems, which is why I developed the XTB-232 to support that market.  Running on an older laptop, that can be relatively energy efficient, and offers much more automation flexibility, such as monitoring the state of SmartHome dimmers that transmit the preset dim protocol.  Adding a WGL transceiver to the mix for RF reception gives you extended range with a single unit.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »

I'm thinking of something with the CM15A's feature list (minus the bugs), a better RF transceiver coupled with an external antenna port, Ethernet (WiFi as an added option, perhaps?),  a built-in web server with GOOD (upgradable) software, and good battery backup.

You mean something like...
It has a bootloader so upgrades will be simple. There's no need for a battery backup for macros & timers. The battery can power the RTC for 10 years - if you haven't paid the utility bill by then...

If you need to send RF, that will need to be a DIY external module as FCC approvals cost several $K. Ethernet will have to be external and external WiFi gets a bit pricey but is available. It might be simpler to use it with...

Of course, you will need an RR501 to convert.

I have no intention of making it compatible with X-10 software so don't ask.  :'
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:01:10 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

uh60james

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »

Assuming I don't get a CM15A, which I think will most likely be the case can anyone reccomend an alternative to the CM15A that is just as or nearly as functional?  Would this work by any chance?  http://www.smarthome.com/2414U/PowerLinc-INSTEON-Controller-USB-Based-Home-Automation-Device/p.aspx
I don't like the price compared to what I thought I would be getting the software and CM15A for but it appears I have limited if any options.  Edit: What about a CM11A is that an option?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:39:21 AM by uh60james »

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 11:35:10 AM »

The beauty of the CM15A (and the CM11A before it) is that they were designed to be standalone controllers, that didn't require a PC to be connected all the time. In my case, I keep it connected to a running PC all the time, but I'm not using any of the newer AHP plugins that require AHP to be open 24/7.

It has been just over 7 years since I got my first CM15A (I lost track of what number I'm on right now, it has been replaced a number of times - at no cost to me), but that seems like an eternity (which it almost is, in technology years!).

Migrating over to a laptop-based (or very small PC-based) system, using something like Jeff's XTB-232 or Dave's RR5x5 is a road I'm nervous to head down. I'm a geek, but I've been happy with the simpler, "non-geek" solution that X10 provided with the CM15A and AHP. I know that migrating over to something new will involve buying more stuff (an interface module, an RF transceiver, some sort of computer to run it on, a good UPS for that computer, etc), and spending a lot of time configuring software, testing, and making sure the system is really working properly. I'm just not ready for that.

Maybe at some point in the near future...

uh60james

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 11:49:46 AM »

Just confirmed that even if you order a kit that is listed as having a CM15A and not a CM15K you will be getting a CM19A/TM751.  Not a good substitute at all.  I asked if there was anything he could do, will see what they say.  Here is what they said on facebook.

"The CM19A/TM751 modules will be substituted for any CM15A purchases at this time. These devices will work together in order to fulfill your automation needs using ActiveHome Professional."

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »

Yes in the deals page today. A CM15K is defined as a PC Tranceiver, Power Line Tranceiver combination.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.