Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: No more CM15A's  (Read 26438 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: No more CM15A's
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2011, 06:53:05 PM »

Bait and switch, in my opinion.  I think that this is cause to look for X10 replacement\upgrades.  Not sure what, yet, but I will need to start looking around.  I have so many macros and so many automated things in my AHP that I would need 10 CM15K's to compensate.

OK, so what's the next logical step in terms of vendors, who I can look at upgrading to?
For lamps and appliance control,  sensing closures or low voltage, and relay control of low voltage, seems like Smarthome.com would be the most logical. They sell X10 and X10/Insteon protocol products , complete with sticker shock.

For X10 controller/PC interface Jeff Volp and Dave Houston both members of the forum are working on  interface/controller devices.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:31:08 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2011, 09:16:03 PM »

[ RANT ]
[/RANT]
I don't think "[RANT]" is a valid tag here. ;)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2011, 10:01:22 PM »

OK, so what's the next logical step in terms of vendors, who I can look at upgrading to?

You might take a look at HomeSeer, Home Control Assistant (HCA), or one of the other PC-based automation systems.  In particular, HCA has a free version that supports only X10 devices.

Most PC-based automation systems will interface to the powerline through the CM11A or CM15A.  Running on an old laptop, it can be an economical way to migrate away from ActiveHome.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

orcusomega

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »

[ RANT ]
[/RANT]
I don't think "[RANT]" is a valid tag here. ;)

I know :P  I have been sitting on my hands the last few months, needing to get things ironed out, and now my older parents are getting a new place, and this would be a PERFECT opportunity for me to get them automated as well - and give me some additional remote control/assistance to them...

.... except ....

The ONE piece of the equation, the ONE thing that makes it all possible, is not available, and more disturbingly, X-10 won't confirm or deny whether they are going to get more.  If it was a new product in the pipeline, I could understand since they don't want to sink current sales opportunities who decide to wait for the new stuff - but really?

So yeah, yet another "Are you kidding me" moments here, and I put the RANT tag so that those who didn't want to listen to me whine could skip over the post :)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »

to The ONE piece of the equation, the ONE thing that makes it all possible, is not available

There are many ways to control an X10 automation system without having a CM15A.  I have been using the Ocelot here for almost a decade.  It is rock solid, and provides the ability to measure real-world parameter's to control things like ventilation and irrigation cycles.  I use HomeVision when I test my X10 devices.  JDS and Elk offer high-end products that control not only X10 but also other automation protocols.  Then there are a bunch of PC-based automation systems that interface to the powerline through either X10 devices or devices offered by SmartHome and ACT (Advanced Control Technology).

The downside is that all alternate controllers are more expensive than the X10 products, which may be why X10 (the company) has apparently run into financial difficulties.

Jeff

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2011, 07:19:02 PM »

JDS and Elk offer high-end products that control not only X10 but also other automation protocols.

Jeff,

Are you talking about the Elk M1? Can I do everything with it that I can with a CM15A?
What about receiving RF signals from X10 devices?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »

Are you talking about the Elk M1? Can I do everything with it that I can with a CM15A?
What about receiving RF signals from X10 devices?

I don't own the Elk M1 myself, but I understand it interfaces to the powerline through a TW523 or PSC05.  The XTB-IIR also emulates the TW523 protocol.  The Elk M1 can receive and transmit X10 signals through that powerline interface.

Receiving RF commands would be through an independent transceiver like we do here.  You could use a X10 transceiver such as the RR501 or TM751, or one of the WGL transceivers.  That would convert the RF command to a powerline signal to either directly control devices, or it could be used to trigger an action in the M1.

Jeff

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »

I don't own the Elk M1 myself, but I understand it interfaces to the powerline through a TW523 or PSC05.  The XTB-IIR also emulates the TW523 protocol.  The Elk M1 can receive and transmit X10 signals through that powerline interface.

Receiving RF commands would be through an independent transceiver like we do here.  You could use a X10 transceiver such as the RR501 or TM751, or one of the WGL transceivers.  That would convert the RF command to a powerline signal to either directly control devices, or it could be used to trigger an action in the M1.

Sounds like I have my backup plan if my CM15A fails!  >!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2011, 09:53:32 AM »

I got a spare CM15A from Automated Outlet, however they have now sold every one they had.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »

Only one dealer is still listing them on eBay now.

Jeff

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »

I'm thinking of something with the CM15A's feature list (minus the bugs), a better RF transceiver coupled with an external antenna port, Ethernet (WiFi as an added option, perhaps?),  a built-in web server with GOOD (upgradable) software, and good battery backup. 

I would like to add IR capabilities like the still-birth CM14A to the wish list.  The CM14A had an IR detector to "learn" (though awkward to point your original remote directly into the controller while its plugged into the wall), and it transmitted IR out to a PowerMid receiver.   You could build macros, that included IR commands mixed in with the normal X10 RF/PL commands.  Kind of a CM15A with an iconRemote built in.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »

I would like to add IR capabilities like the still-birth CM14A to the wish list.  The CM14A had an IR detector to "learn" (though awkward to point your original remote directly into the controller while its plugged into the wall), and it transmitted IR out to a PowerMid receiver.   You could build macros, that included IR commands mixed in with the normal X10 RF/PL commands.  Kind of a CM15A with an iconRemote built in.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2011, 09:06:16 AM »

If you go on the X10 sales site. To the catalog section. Automation listings.  All the Active Home Pro kits are marked Out Of Stock.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2011, 01:31:39 PM »

If you go on the X10 sales site. To the catalog section. Automation listings.  All the Active Home Pro kits are marked Out Of Stock.

...and the bell tolls thrice....
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »

Yup, the bell tolls alright. Pretty soon X10 will be nothing but intercoms, tablets, and IP cameras. Each of which can be found cheaper else where. My local Menards (Home Depot clone) had the Westinghouse intercoms cheaper than the X10 site.  :'(
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.