Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Appliance modules keep cycling on and off via macro  (Read 3267 times)

JJtech

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Appliance modules keep cycling on and off via macro
« on: November 06, 2011, 02:11:03 PM »

Appliance modules keep cycling on and off via macro

If I stay within the same room, every time the Active Eye picks up my movement, N1 & N4 cycle on and off.  If N1 is off and N4 is on, why would another command, to put them in the same state, cycle them on and off or the other way for the other mod?

If N1 is off and I press N1 off 1 or more times from any controller, it doesn’t do anything as I would expect.

I know I can fix this by setting a flag but it ties into another macro and complicates things.

Thanks!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Appliance modules keep cycling on and off via macro
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »

The Active Eye is timing out... sending the Off Command then almost immediately sending a new On Command. You might want to look over some of the solutions found by others in the User Designed Working Macros area.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JJtech

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 03:34:45 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong but the OFF command should not affect the macro, thus leaving the mod in the same state and thus as you suggest, the subsequent on command should, I would think, not make it cycle.

I know how to fix this with a flag, I just don’t understand what is happening.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong but the OFF command should not affect the macro,

You're correct.... [that] the Off Command would not affect the macro shown in your image. I had no idea what OTHER macros you have. However... what you described would seem to be caused as I suggested. I could easily be wrong... it was only a postulation based solely on the actions you described.

But.... if there isn't an Off being sent [or included in a macro] from somewhere... how can you be sure a flag (or anything else) will fix it? Before fixing the problem it might be better to 1st find the cause. Trust me these things tend to come back and bite you if they aren't caught at the source.

JJtech

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »

Dave,

You're correct.... [that] the Off Command would not affect the macro shown in your image. I had no idea what OTHER macros you have. However... what you described would seem to be caused as I suggested. I could easily be wrong... it was only a postulation based solely on the actions you described.

But.... if there isn't an Off being sent [or included in a macro] from somewhere... how can you be sure a flag (or anything else) will fix it? Before fixing the problem it might be better to 1st find the cause. Trust me these things tend to come back and bite you if they aren't caught at the source.

>>>>>>>>  I totally agree.  I would love to find out what is going on.  I know a flag works because that is what I had for a long time.  I took it out because this macro ties into a “bathroom” macro and the execution time of these tiny macros is VERY SLOW and created critical timing issues when moving from the bedroom to the bathroom.  It is also complicated as the Avtive Eyes seems to imite 5 or 6 pulses over the course of 2 or 3 seconds.

I have attached my AHX file if you would like to take a look.

The two main macros that tie together are:

“Remote On Spot Off” in the bedroom and “Bath spot ON – Auto” in the bathroom.

The third macro just makes sure the bathroom spot is off (a double check) and switches the two appliance mods (opposite from the bedroom).

As you may have guessed, the “old remote” mod turns on a RF to IR converter for, yes, an old remote (used in office).  The other mod does it for a new remote (used in bedroom).  The two converts don’t play well if they are on at the same time.

I have two hi intensity Halogen narrow focus spots in the bathroom that I dim.  Of course I have to control them with flag 9 so they don’t keep turning off and on while still in the bathroom.  You can see how I control those spots in the aforementioned macros.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 08:20:07 AM »

Your setup sounds nice... and a bit complex. That is why I included (originally) the link to the user created macros. It can be helpful to see how others accompished the same actions.  

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:05:49 AM »

I totally agree.  I would love to find out what is going on.  I know a flag works because that is what I had for a long time.  I took it out because this macro ties into a “bathroom” macro and the execution time of these tiny macros is VERY SLOW and created critical timing issues when moving from the bedroom to the bathroom.  It is also complicated as the Avtive Eyes seems to imite 5 or 6 pulses over the course of 2 or 3 seconds.
FWIW
I'm lost, and butting in (normal for me), but if your Activity Log shows AHP sending the unwanted OFF commands, then you have unintended interactions in your macros.

My  xxxEyes will continue to send "ON" commands everytime they see movement during the timeout period, and the period is reset. I have new and old units and they work the same.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:17:56 AM »

I looked at your AHX file.
I didn't see anything obvious, but here are my thoughts (and maybe I'm missing something).

Some of the motion sensors (I don't know which ones) have a day/night sensor that triggers one code above the one the device is set to. For example, if the sensor set to A2 turns on a light nearby, then when the light comes on, it thinks it is Dawn, and sends an "A3 Off" command.

Now, I didn't see anything on A3 that looked obvious.
Are N1 and N4 located near any other motion sensors that might be triggering other macros?

You should check the Activity Logs, and see what is happening.
I did see some macros in your trash (recycle bin). A bug in AHP can sometimes cause those to keep running, unless they are emptied from the trash, and the programming re-downloaded to the CM15A. You might want to try that.

JJtech

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »

HA Dave, Dave W., Norm,

HA Dave,

Your setup sounds nice... and a bit complex. That is why I included (originally) the link to the user created macros. It can be helpful to see how others accomplished the same actions.

>>>>>>>>>>  Thanks Dave.  Although the goal is somewhat tricky as far as me walking in and out from the bedroom to the bathroom at irregular intervals, I have purposely keep the macros as simple as possible because they execute SO SLOWLY!

B:((DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS SOME WAY TO SPEED UP THE MACROS?????) -:)

Because I may be in the shower where the sensor (best placement for the sensor) will not see any motion I cannot depend on constant motion in the bathroom and thus have to depend on motion in the bedroom which would indicate that I have left the bathroom.  I looked at a few of the macros you recommended but didn’t see any that would accomplish my goal.

Dave W.,

FWIW
I'm lost, and butting in (normal for me), but if your Activity Log shows AHP sending the unwanted OFF commands, then you have unintended interactions in your macros.

My xxxEyes will continue to send "ON" commands every time they see movement during the timeout period, and the period is reset. I have new and old units and they work the same.

>>>>>>>>>>  Thanks Dave!  I am going to have to do a little more research in particular with the AM to see exactly what is happening.

Norm,

I looked at your AHX file.
I didn't see anything obvious, but here are my thoughts (and maybe I'm missing something).

Some of the motion sensors (I don't know which ones) have a day/night sensor that triggers one code above the one the device is set to. For example, if the sensor set to A2 turns on a light nearby, then when the light comes on, it thinks it is Dawn, and sends an "A3 Off" command.

>>>>>>>>>>  Thanks Norm, I will look at that.

Now, I didn't see anything on A3 that looked obvious.
Are N1 and N4 located near any other motion sensors that might be triggering other macros?

>>>>>>>>>>  Nope.

You should check the Activity Logs, and see what is happening.
I did see some macros in your trash (recycle bin). A bug in AHP can sometimes cause those to keep running, unless they are emptied from the trash, and the programming re-downloaded to the CM15A. You might want to try that.

>>>>>>>>>>  Thanks, I will try both of those!

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

For what is worth, I gave each of you a “helpful post!”  When I tried to give one of you 2 of those on 2 different topics, the system stopped me.

JJ

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.