Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: CM21A versus CM15K ==> CM15A versus CM15K  (Read 43205 times)

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
Re: CM21A versus CM15K ==> CM15A versus CM15K
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 05:42:42 PM »

A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing in my humble opinion.

In this case, more like a pig in sheep's clothing!  Oh, wait, that would be insulting the pig!   :'

ITguy

Chasdarwin

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »

Re-read the ad for the ActiveHome Pro kit and there's nothing actually deceptive about it.  They even re-did the picture so it shows CM19A.  Problem, which I'm guessing X10 is aware of, is that what they're shipping nowadays is nowhere near as useful as what it used to be.  I'm longtime user of the CM15A, which was super-reliable for 4 years but recently croaked, and the pathetic workaround with CM19A kinda sucks.  Didn't used to have to keep a PC on 24/7  (note X10 advertises what an energy saver ActiveHome is).  Used to be able to control modules with more than one home code.  Used to be able to put the transceiver in living room where it worked best with remotes without having to leave a PC sitting on floor beside it.

I'm wondering wtf they can't get hold of the neat CM15A anymore.

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 12:05:06 AM »

With a few X-10 syatems running, I have stocked up on some spares, and am slowly switching over to Insteon. It is about 2x the price, and about 10x more reliable and better built and 100X better supported (which X-10 never was). I liked X-10 but am planning my migration on their imminent demise.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 08:51:46 AM »

Last time I checked, the Insteon software is still lagging behind AHP (which has its own pile of shortcomings).

Despite my love for my current X10 setup, I think now would be a great time for Smarthome to make their move. They started with the newer X10-only switches, which might be a ploy to grab customers, and get them hooked on Smarthome's reliable hardware, and great customer service. Given the disappearance of the CM15A, and the shortage of some other X10 modules, they might be able to get more people to look toward Insteon.
If they had a 50% off Insteon blowout sale, I think they might be able to get more people hooked on it a lot faster.

Another option might be for them to come out with a CM15A replacement, aimed squarely at AHP users. Software and all.
What do others here think?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »

I agree.   If Smarthome would make a X10 capable interface like the CM15A it might sell.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 01:54:55 PM »

I agree.   If Smarthome would make a X10 capable interface like the CM15A it might sell.

I think the key is the software, and the features. If it can do timers and macros at least as well as AHP (Adding functions is fine, as long as the user can do multiple timers per module per day, macros (SmartMacros would be a MUST in my case), and have an SDK that lest us talk directly to it (perferably using the same language we already talk to the CM15A - for compatibility), then it might have a chance. It would be harder for them to convince users to jump over to them if they have to start from scratch, and lost functionality they currently have.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »

They discontinued their 1132CU controller awhile back and the Smarthome Manager Essentials or Plus versions where called Legacy.
They don't even load with Vista or newer. Someone fudged the loaders but it is a pain where you sit.
Also never even corrected for the new DST dates. Again we had to fudge things.

They still use the %dim X10 protocol and not the extended messages used by the Soft Start X10 modules.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:27:01 PM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »

They discontinued their 1132CU controller awhile back and the Smarthome Manager Essentials or Plus versions where called Legacy.
They don't even load with Vista or newer. Someone fudged the loaders but it is a pain where you sit.
Also never even corrected for the new DST dates. Again we had to fudge things.

They still use the %dim X10 protocol and not the extended messages used by the Soft Start X10 modules.

They would need to put out a controller (or a version of their NetLinc one) that has software geared more toward the current X10 users. The ability to send Extended Dim, and to do multiple timers on individual devices would push me more toward Insteon.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 04:14:01 PM »

They would need to put out a controller (or a version of their NetLinc one) that has software geared more toward the current X10 users. The ability to send Extended Dim, and to do multiple timers on individual devices would push me more toward Insteon.

Take a look at the free "X10 Only" version of HCA.  It is a PC-based automation system that can work through the CM15A, CM11A, or XTB-232.  It supports the SmartHome preset dim protocol and also the extended dim used by the newer X10 modules.  The status query to 2-way modules, such as the LM14A, RR501, or 2-way SmartHome modules is pretty neat.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »

It's a possibility that my RR5x5 add-in for the RR501 could emulate a CM15A but not with a USB interface.

It might also be possible to have a daughterboard that would plug-in in place of the Cypress µC used in the CM15A, using one of the newer USB-enabled PICs (there's even an open source USB PIC bootloader) but that would be sometime in the future. I already have too many projects and don't need to confuse things with another. I designed similar CM15A daughterboards using both PICs and AVRs but both used serial interfaces. I never pursued them because I didn't think there would be sufficient interest. I doubt that even a USB version would change that as you still would need a CM15A to modify.

If the CM15A is truly dead and buried, I would expect Smarthome to attempt something to replace it but no competent developer would seek to duplicate the X-10 software.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 06:30:47 PM »

I fear that when the pallets of RR501s are used up. They will also be gone.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 06:57:06 PM »

I fear that when the pallets of RR501s are used up. They will also be gone.
I'm sure you are right but, as I wrote earlier, I've wanted to do the RR5x5 for a long time so am going ahead with it even if I'm the only user (although I do have one other long-time X10 user committed to get one). And, I bought a handful of those IBM kits back when they were $6 so they should outlast me.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »

The X10 Facebook rep said (again) that the CM15A and the SC1200 were NOT discontinued, they just are waiting for more to be manufactured. They don't have an ETA, but they *assured* me there will be more in the future. I don't know if I believe it, but at least they are telling their employees that there will be more of them.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »

I don't use Facebook, but this might be good news.   We will have to wait and see.   I suspect it's good news, though.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 01:26:14 PM »

I don't use Facebook...

In that case, they *might* let you buy one anyway (if they ever get them in). ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:36:47 PM by Noam »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.