Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strange X10 Problem  (Read 2878 times)

whsbuss

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Strange X10 Problem
« on: November 12, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »

I have a module installed for years to control the porch light. Worked perfectly till yesterday. It turns on but won't turn off unless I manually do it at the switch. I even tried an old 16-button plug-in controller to eliminate the CM15 and it still will not turn off. I also tried a different X10 address with the same result. Replaced it with a new module also. Any suggestions??

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Strange X10 Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »

Yes.
Assuming you did not change the bulb to a CFL or LED bulb, it sounds like you have a new noise source.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Also make sure the bulb is snug in socket.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

William8

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »

Sounds like a noise issue. I had the same thing happen when I replaced my microwave this past summer. The garage lights would turn on, but not off. I thought it was a faulty module, but  a replacement changed nothing. I then noticed that a couple more modules didn't work at all.

This happened with the microwave just plugged in, not cooking anything. I haven't found a real solution yet, but it only affects about half of one phase, so I swapped a couple of circuits in the breaker box and now have everything working again, except my back porch light. :(

whsbuss

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 10:54:44 AM »

Weel what do you know.... yesterday I relocated some of my ham radio equipment in my office. Seems the switching power supply cannot be plugged into the same circuit as that porch light. I had to isolate it and now it works. THANKS!!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 12:18:37 PM »

You deserve a helpful - reaffirming "the new noise source" syndrum of X10.   #:)

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 12:54:19 PM »

You deserve a helpful - reaffirming "the new noise source" syndrum of X10.   #:)

Or at least same noise, different place :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

whsbuss

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 06:43:17 PM »

Ha Ha..... I knew something changed and it was probably noise but I would never have guessed a power supply just plugged and not operating on the same circuit would affect the X10. But "new noise source" is exactly what happened!!

Thanks all.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »

If the power supply has a capacitor across the AC input to keep internal noise off the power lines. It also could have been a severe signal sucker.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.