Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: x10 only Manufacture in China has shutdown.  (Read 18320 times)

SpareParts

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 only Manufacture in China has shutdown.
« on: November 19, 2011, 07:46:33 PM »

It is true X10 only Manufacture in China has shutdown. and the only X10 systems and accessory are what is ether in suppler stock or in shipment to them after that runs out there will be no more X10 available. unless someone pick up the operation. But I think with other newer wireless systems with more capabilities like 32bit systems. I think anyone would be crazy to
try and buy the rights to manufacture such old technology. Pules start up cost. I have been in manufacturing for over 35 years and support two operations in China and more in other locations so I know what it would take and it's not going to happen unless someone is crazy as I said to many new systems out there. I sorry to see it go to i have been use it since 92.  

I have the pro 2000 and have stocked up on spares. But am thinking of going to a console that operates on a different frequency. But will allow me to use same magnetic switches and just change the transmitters. But I wiil still need to replace all other transmitters. But that I will do over time I will tap into the pro 2000 and add a slave relay to give a input to my new system.    
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:49:49 PM by SpareParts »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: x10 only Manufacture in China has shutdown.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 04:42:10 PM »

It is true X10 only Manufacture in China has shutdown. and the only X10 systems and accessory are what is ether in suppler stock or in shipment to them after that runs out there will be no more X10 available. unless someone pick up the operation.

Is this a question or a statement?

If a statement, do you know for sure? Does this information come through your China manufacturing sources?

If a question....
X10 has not confirmed they have ceased all manufacturing and are not likely to do so. (which is why I am asking are you sure, I think everyone would like to know "for sure") but the growing evidence sure points to that. "X10" supply is drying up and at the same time "X10.com" is marketing 3rd party devices that have the same functionality as old X10 products.

Actually this may give a bounce to smarthome.com. Even better if old PLC companies like ACT and PCS would revive their old X10 protocol products.

I wonder about "buying the rights" to manufacture. For example, would there be a "rights to manufacture" issues if you wanted to copy the module design of the early single board Lamp Modules, Appliance Modules, of the mid 1980's (?). Obviously protocol patents are not an issue. Also I doubt anyone would want to copy the CM15A or SC1200 or the software.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:59:32 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 05:33:19 PM »

Is this a question or a statement? If a statement, do you know for sure? .................       

Good questions dave w.

SpareParts posted a total of four times (at this time). Three of those posting was this same rumor post. I have half a notion to remove all those posting... and this complete thread. I think we've read enough of these sourceless posts. I'd be happy to be enlightened with some factual information.... but negative rumors at the expense of the people who provide us with this forum... is JUST WRONG.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »

I wonder about "buying the rights" to manufacture.
Any patents expired years ago and there are companies already manufacturing devices for 230V/50Hz. One or more may find the North American market attractive if X-10 is truly out of the picture.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 06:19:49 PM »

Smarthome has actually started making x10 only compatible modules again.
They look like the Icon line of devices with the firmware changed to only support X10 and not the Insteon/X10 combination.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 06:26:21 PM »

They look like the Icon line of devices with the firmware changed to only support X10 and not the Insteon/X10 combination.

I think that is really interesting!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 07:19:20 PM »

Thank God! Well I'm not really surprised good marketing move only thing probably will be a significant increase in price, just guessing on this one.  ???

Tom j.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:00:51 PM by tom j »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 07:41:04 PM »

Well $19.99 for most isn't an X10 deal price but the latest EBay dealers prices aren't that great anymore.

SpareParts

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 05:43:30 PM »

To Dave W.

Dave sorry for my late reply I have been on a trip and just returned Sunday night.  My post was because I had seen other post questing X10 Security System supply.. SC1200 and that they had heard that it was shutting down orations in China.
My information did not come from our China orations. but I have asked three Chines collages to see if they can find out anything about it. I don't think I will get any information as most likely the China X10 manufacture has many product lines and dose not operate under the X10 name and may only be shutting the X10 operation down.  And my contacts are only in Shanghai area and two economic zones out side Shanghai. 

But my statement that it is true is because I had orders with a US vender for several items some multiple. I had placed the order and all items where to be shipped in one shipment But I started getting one or two pieces at a time witch was costing the vender more for shipping. But the vender assured me that he complete the order.
After three weeks he called and said he could not complete the order and gave me a more then he had to refund and also the name of two other venders that had what i needed.
He also told me that X10 china was or had already stopped all manufacturing. He said he had been receiving small shipments and many items that should have been in the shipments where not. And that's why he had said be able to complete my order. I have used this vender for many years not just for X10. Also one of the vender's he gave me also confirmed what he told me. But was able to supply me with what I needed. As you can see I have not given the  name of either vender as I don't think I should I don't know who they deal with and would not want to hurt any vender to vender relationships. If you still feel you want to remove my post that's OK with me. I am only stating what I have been told to date. I am sure if anyone here also has a working relationship with any X10 third party venders they will most likely get the same info.    Best from Spare parts             

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »

If you still feel you want to remove my post that's OK with me. I am only stating what I have been told to date. I am sure if anyone here also has a working relationship with any X10 third party venders they will most likely get the same info.    Best from Spare parts             
Remove your post? Not me. If I had the power to remove posts, it would be applied to all the ding dongs too lazy to read the instructions to get answers to their questions.

Since you spoke of China operations, I was just asking if your comment of X10 manufacture being shutting down was from a "source in the know". Thanks for the information!

SpareParts

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 06:53:01 PM »

Dave W.

I was not sure if there is a maxim size for a post, so this is a continuation to my reply to you. I also ordered a X10 console from I don't want to say who. But it was not from either vender
that was given to me by my original vender.

I received it yesterday with two other X10 alarm items the outer shipping box was damage free. But the X10 controller box looked like it had been used for a warehouse lunch time hockey game puck many times. I called the vender and they are in the process of issuing a RMA and return shipping labels. and have assured me that they have more "NEW ones in stock"

The controller box was badly damaged. But on inspection of the unit itself it looked like a return, casing was damaged and screws where all loose as it had been opened for repair.
If they don't replace it then I will let this forum know who shipped it to me. The only reason I added this as it may also support that supply is drying up for X10 alarm systems.  

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 07:34:20 PM »

The only reason I added this as it may also support that supply is drying up for X10 alarm systems.  
Yeah, I have yet to see anything that indicates X10 manufacturing has not shut down or that it will return. Looks like Smarthome will be the main source of X10 protocol.

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 09:42:11 PM »

Yeah, I have yet to see anything that indicates X10 manufacturing has not shut down or that it will return.

Here you go:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=25476.msg144425#msg144425

William8

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 11:57:01 PM »

Here you go:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=25476.msg144425#msg144425

If the SC1200 and other products are not discontinued, why are they offering new security systems and products that are not compatible with X-10 at all? Just to cause more confusion for their customers?

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »

.... why are they offering new security systems and products that are not compatible with X-10 at all?

Why not? Is every part on your car compatible with every car made buy the car company that made it? When and where has cross-compatibility ever been a sign of a desire to manufacture?

I think some people are just trying to bash X10. Do you think smarthome should limit their catalog to a single protocol? What does protocol have to do with factories in China?

Give me a break guys! People are coming out of the woodwork [like cockroaches] repeating old rumors that have already been proven to be LIES. If they read the threads here they would know that. I mean... just think about it! If X10 closed it's doors and shut-down in August... like the original rumor... how could you be reading this forum.

By-the-way... I sorta like the look of the new SkyLink security system. It does have the keypad everyone always asks for.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:45:09 AM by HA Dave »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.