Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New IP Camera  (Read 43323 times)

x10elder

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: New IP Camera
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 09:08:37 PM »

Works great on my home network, but cannot get it to work outside of the house.  Been to many websites to fix the problem, to no avail.  It still won't connect outside the house.

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »

To all that want to extend the power cord for the Foscams / Airsight....
Be aware that the cameras draw a significant amount of current when the led's are on  (about 1 amp). AND there WILL be voltage drop thru the cable.
  The smaller wire (larger AWG), the more drop thru the cable.
  This will most likely lead to camera instability in the form of constant rebooting of the camera, and dropped connections (wired or wireless).
  I have a foscam 8918 (11 leds) about 20 feet from the pwr supply and had to modify the output voltage to about 6.5 volts just so the camera would see about 5 when the leds are on.
  Of course the voltage is higher during the day when the leds are off, but is still within the operating voltage of the 5 volt logic.
  It is up to each user to determine the voltage at the camera during use, the size of the power cable, the length of the power cable.
  There are many articles about this on the web, so further investigation must be done before you connect your camera so you don't over voltage the logic, and maintain operating voltage for the camera.
  The other option is to get some power over ethernet adaptors.  These use four of the ethernet (unused) wires to place about 40volts on them and have a voltage regulator at the camera to drop it locally down to 5 volts.
  You could make one yourself although you don't need 40 volts, just something that is higher than the dropout voltage of the regulator.
  You could put 10-12 volts on the cable then use an LM7805 regulator at the camera end (a small heatsink should be used).  As long as the drop across the regulator is greater than about 3 volts, and the power is small, there should not be a heating problem.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »

Just for the record, for anybody who uses an alternate power supply, as pomonabill221 has suggested, will void the warranty.

x10elder

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »

Tried it and have not been able to get to it from outside my own network.  For them to say it takes only minutes to set up is hardly factual.  I've been trying for weeks to get this thing to work and have had no success at all.  Screwed up my router a couple of time trying to follow the vague instructions given on various web sites.  It only took a couple of hours to get it running wirelessly on my own network and there it works fine.  But it still does not connect anywhere outside of it.  Spent money buying a host name, to no avail.  B:(

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »

Tried it and have not been able to get to it from outside my own network.  For them to say it takes only minutes to set up is hardly factual.  I've been trying for weeks to get this thing to work and have had no success at all.  Screwed up my router a couple of time trying to follow the vague instructions given on various web sites.  It only took a couple of hours to get it running wirelessly on my own network and there it works fine.  But it still does not connect anywhere outside of it.  Spent money buying a host name, to no avail.  B:(

If you understand port forwarding and networking concepts, you can set up one of these fully in a few minutes. If you do not understand these concepts, it will take time to figure it out. Unfortunately, the port forwarding needs to be setup on your router and or DSL / Cable modem, and there are not standard instructions on how to do this - every router is different.

If you do not want to take the time, or if you are not computer literate, it would be best to work with someone who is. You do not need to purchase a host name, just use the manufacturers DDNS which is free.

I would be happy to work through this setup with you. Please create a new thread in the Airsight forum, and describe what is working and what is not.

larrypowellnj

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 04:13:06 PM »

Don't bother with the AirSight 39A (H.264).  I'm returning mine because not amount of tech support could get to work.

mrdana

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »

It appears that x10 has taken a page out of the HP playbook,i.e. make promises and push products out the door before they are ready. "the hell with the customers, let them figure it out and fix it" B:(

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »

I think you are 100% wrong about HP products.  I have 2 HP computers, two HP printers and everything works as it is supposed to do.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.