Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: transceiver placement (newbie question)  (Read 3180 times)

colinml

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
transceiver placement (newbie question)
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »

I'm installing a new controller for the hot water circulation system in my house (Redy Temp is the brand).  The timer/controller I'm installing allows me to over-ride, which means that, when the system is "off," i.e., not circulating, (3:00 am, for example), I can activate for one cycle to get hot water anyway.  I can do this with wired doorbell buttons or wireless, in which case Redy Temp recommends x10.  Specifically, Redy Temp says I need a universal module UM506, transceiver TM751 and motion sensor MS16A (or wireless push buttons).  I'll probably use a combination of push buttons and motion sensors, depending on which room, but for now assume all motion sensors (though I don't think it makes any difference). 

1) I need to install motion sensors in 4 rooms (kitchen and three baths).  If I understand correctly, I need only one universal module (which can be connected to my Redy Temp controller via RJ11), but I need a transceiver/motion sensor combination in each remote location.  So, one universal module, four motion sensors and four transceivers.  Is that correct so far?

2) If so, my other question is about the placement of the transceivers in relation to the motion sensors.  Do I need line of sight?  I have outlets available within a few feet of where I will install the motion sensors, but on opposite sides of the wall.  Will that work?

3) Lastly, I see some comments regarding the two different transceivers, something about problems with the TM751.  Should I order the RR501 for my application instead?

Thanks.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: transceiver placement (newbie question)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 03:34:58 PM »

Depending on your house, you probably don't need 4 transceivers.
One may very well be enough (and four might cause problems, especially if they are TM751's).

I would try one RR501 first (if you can find one), and see how it goes.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 03:36:35 PM »

You should only need a single transceiver. It needs to be on the same electrical phase as the Universal Module. I would use the RR501 as it is, in general, more reliable. There are fairly simple ways to increase RF range so it can be controlled by any of the remotes, sensors, etc.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:39:16 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »

1) Yes only one UM506 would be needed. Probably set to momentary mode so it pulsed the controller.
As for the motion sensors and transceivers. The motion sensors send an RF command the TM751 or RR501 receives. It then sends the On signal to the UM506s address {set on the dials}. Depending on locations all four motion sensors could reach the same transceiver and only one would be needed. Though that depends on your exact setup.

colinml

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies.  I was wondering about the need for multiple transceivers, since this "economical" system was beginning to seem pretty expensive.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »

Well you could always add another one if more are needed later.

colinml

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »

Back again.  I'm having trouble figuring out what the difference is between the three motion sensors.  Is it me, or do the product descriptions on the x10 website seem a little like playing Where's Waldo?  

Nevermind.  I think I want the MS16A.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:30:35 PM by colinml »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 04:35:23 PM »

List of features. MS16A has the most users settings and options.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Comparison_of_All_Motion_Sensors

colinml

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 04:38:09 PM »

Thanks again.  Much appreciated.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.