Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Insteon to X10?  (Read 42959 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Insteon to X10?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »

Another way to go might be to use the Insteon equivalent of the X10 TW523/PSC05, along with an actual TW523/PSC05 and an Arduino, and write a "translator" app. I'm getting ready to do something similar to *half* of that (monitor my X10 system using an arduino hooked to the digital port of my XTB-IIR - which emulates a TW523).
If you are doing that to monitor powerline traffic, you could take advantage of the "return all bits" mode option to monitor the powerline virtually real-time with no error checking.  Since that mode drives the digital port for the entire half-cycle, I use it to monitor powerline traffic on my digital storage scope.  It allows a lower sampling rate to capture a much longer time frame.
Would this have any impact on my current setup (using it with a CM15A plugged into the front)?
What if I want to send commands through that port, do I need to change it back?

Nope.  It just effects how the digital data is handled.  Everything else works the same.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 01:44:02 PM »

Would it affect my ability to send commands to the powerline via the digital port?

I think my first task is to get the Arduino hooked up to the port, and see if I can get the code examples I've found to work.
My original goal was to set up a "status board" with LED's representing each HC/UC I want to monitor. The Arduino would listen for the correct "on" or "off" codes, and then turn on or off the corresponding LED.

I also plan to "sacrifice" a HC to monitor the flags - I'll have to modify each macro that sets or clears a flag to also send the corresponding "on" or "off" command on that other HC.

I know this is pretty ambitious for a first project, so I don't know how much will actually get done.

How long can the cable between the digital port on the XTB-IIR and whatever it's connected to it be? If there a concern of interference if the cable gets too long?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 02:06:30 PM »

Would it affect my ability to send commands to the powerline via the digital port?

How long can the cable between the digital port on the XTB-IIR and whatever it's connected to it be? If there a concern of interference if the cable gets too long?

Using the Receive All Bits mode options does not effect transmitting commands through the digital port, which adheres to the TW523 protocol in either case.  It only effects receiving.  It allows you to monitor "raw" powerline traffic rather than error checked and verified valid X10 commands.

Because the data is relayed to the digital port essentially real-time, that is not compatible with controllers that expect a delayed echo of a transmitted command.  But if you roll your own code, it gives you the ability abort transmission in event of a collision, which is not possible using the TW523.

If you use flat telephone cable, there is no problem with the digital link being 50 feet, or even longer.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

SirPoonga

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »

Reply from Smarthome

Thank you for contacting Smarthome.

There are two ways of accomplishing that sort of conversion, but both require one of the higher end Central Control options for Insteon. Namely Houselinc 2 and ISY-99i

Houselinc 2 is a software program that works through a 2413UH  Insteon unit, this can create an event to be triggered by a specific Insteon unit, and cause a specific X10 signal to be generated when that Insteon unit is toggled. This requires a PC for its operation.

ISY-99i is a similar process, however the ISY-99i is a stand-alone web server device that does not require a computer for its function.

Currently there is no unit simpler (cheaper) than those that can accomplish the task you have asked.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Steven
Customer Solutions Center
www.Smarthome.com

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »

Yes as expected an intelligent controller would be needed.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 09:11:20 PM »

I suppose with a computer interface for both X10 and Insteon (is there one unit that can do both?), you could write your own software to listen for certain Insteon commands, and issue the corresponding X10 commands.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »

is there one unit that can do both?
I believe all of the Insteon interfaces can also do X-10.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 06:08:19 AM »

Can't comment on the HouseLinc2 with HL2 enabled PLM.
I can verify my ISY99i standalone controller can do X10 and Insteon.
It also uses the 2412S or dual band 2413S PLM. The PLM can do X10 sending and receiving.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.