Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Honeycomb & Ice Cream Sandwich source released  (Read 8053 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: Honeycomb & Ice Cream Sandwich source released
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:23:36 AM »

Could someone explain to me in very simple language how this announcement pertains to the X-10 Air Pad.

I am new to the Android OS but  my limited understanding is that  this latest OS will requires more processing power to make any real use of it.

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »

See http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=24688.0 There was a "loose" commitment to support the next version of Android by what appears to be an X10 Representative.  

Google did early release/branch called HoneyComb... a tablet version just to get it out there. This requires quite bit of CPU and GPU firepower.  They also released a minor tweak to the phone version of Android called GingerBread know has Android 2.3.  The latest  Android (Ice Cream Sandwich) converges the HoneyComb version to the phone version of android. This lowered the CPU and GPU requirements.  

Finally, Google never officially released the source code for Honeycomb.... until now they released both HoneyComb and Icecream sandwich source code.  This ends the speculation that Android has become closed source.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:39:23 AM by pseeker »

goldcougar

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:36:16 AM »

it was also directly addressed here: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=24691.0

Looking forward to the Ice Cream Sandwich / Android 4.0 on my Airpad!  Hope it will be out soon.  Can anyone give us an ETA?  I'm happy to be a beta tester.

DemDave

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »

3:1 odds on x10 not delivering on their promise to give us Ice Cream Sandwich.

4:1 odds that even if they do come out with an Ice Cream Sandwich release, it's not stable (or its sluggish, has even worse battery performance, or is otherwise hardly useable).

100:1 odds on x10 not offering some sort of compensation (refunds, credits, etc.) for now owning up to their promises and delivering an Ice Cream Sandwich release.

The forums posts saying they'd deliver an Ice Cream sandwich release was a big reason I bought the Airpad. But with their screwups with product delivery, lack of customer service, the removal of Android Market and more, I have zero faith that we will see an official Ice Cream Sandwich for the Airpad. We can hope that there are enough developers out there with Airpads to come out with some sort of a third-party release, though.

I took screenshots of the places they've promised Ice Cream Sandwich. It's a safe bet that I'll be contacting the Better Business Bureau by the time this is all over.

q711179

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »

I received my AP before the change from the Android Market to the Amazon market, and any update I am sure would erase that advantage and be a deal breaker for me. This is why any update won't be going on my AP, so even if Ice Cream is released for the AP (I highly doubt it) it wouldn't be worth the sacrifice. 

Important to remember what and why you purchased an AP, and consider if it would still be as usable with an update.

DemDave

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »

When I purchased the Airpad, it was advertised as having Android Market (which my version of the Airpad has). At the same time, they assured us in this forum that there would be an update to Ice Cream Sandwich.

As a consumer who purchased the AirPad while x10 was making both of these claims, I believe I have a reasonable expectation to receive an update to Ice Cream Sandwich which will work with the Android Market. (However, those who purchased the Airpad after they stopped advertising it with Android Market would only have a reasonable expectation to receive a version of Ice Cream Sandwich without the Market).

If I do not receive a version of Ice Cream Sandwich with the Market, I'll first contact x10 for a return (and hopefully they'll oblige this despite it being outside of the 30-day window). Should they not agree to that, then I'll contact the Better Business Bureau so they can look into the way this whole Airpad mess has been handled and help protect future consumers from x10's poor business practices.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:44:03 PM by DemDave »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »

If I do not receive a version of Ice Cream Sandwich with the Market, I'll first contact x10 for a return (and hopefully they'll oblige this despite it being outside of the 30-day window). Should they not agree to that, then I'll contact the Better Business Bureau so they can look into the way this whole Airpad mess has been handled and help protect future consumers from x10's poor business practices.
Good plan, but if X10 is treading water, the BBB will have no impact. I tend to think X10 was hoping the AP would be the Phoenix to bring them back to profitability or at least a revenue stream. I don't know, but doubt it has been, and every day the AP is getting more and more competition.

So good luck with that Ice Cream Sandwich, and the return for that matter..
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

pseeker

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 07:11:49 AM »

I get the impression that X10 does very little in developing the Airpad OS software.  So its really up to Rockchip to do the port to Android 4.0 which I believe they will do in order to sell the RK2918 chipset, then that gets handed down to the tablet manufacturer  Shenzhen Lanyu Electronics Co., Ltd (model Lanyu 910) to add their customization.   Eventually this reaches X10 who MIGHT add/remove apps/config tweaks or ship as is.   

Finally, If you truly want future upgrades you should stick with hardware supported by CyanogenMod Android or tablet manufactures that have good track record of updates.
At the same time, they assured us in this forum that there would be an update to Ice Cream Sandwich.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:15:08 AM by pseeker »

cjhallx

• Over 35 years experience from PCs to mainframes
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 07:54:36 AM »

The Airpad X is a re-brand of the Zenithink ZT280 C91.  Look at the barcode on the case.  Pay special attention to whether the code includes 2N or 3N. Then go to Zenithink's website and you can download installs that include market.  I just loaded the android 4 beta for the 2n model and it is great.. Only thing missing is bluetooth support. hopefully the next release will have it? Anybody know where to see the developers posts?  I finally settled on the android 2.3 20111206_2n build. AND IT INCLUDES GOOGLE'S ANDROID MARKET!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:44:40 PM by cjhallx »
I have an AIRPAD X which is a re-badge of the ZENITHINK ZT280-C91 and an AIRPAD XL which is a re-badge of the PLOYER MOMO15

If I have helped you please click on "Helpful Post" under my name to the left. Thank you.

localuser

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Airpad 7p rooted and installed ice cream sandwich
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:45:33 PM »

I have been able to successfully root and install ICS on my airpad 7p.  Here are some pictures.  I will work on putting together a tutorial and some links.

Here are some pictures:

Google App Market

System Information Screen

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.