Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Airpad 7p  (Read 22611 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
New Airpad 7p
« on: December 04, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »

I see there is now a third Airpad. The Airpad 7p for $159.99 and I believe a later revision of the android operating system.
http://www.x10.com/promotions/airpad_7p_7_inch_android_tablet.html?BIG

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/AirpadP
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:28:20 PM by Brian H »

vlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: New Airpad 7p
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »

do you think old 7" airpad with 2.3.1 can flash to 2.3.4??

DemDave

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »

Ouch. Better specs and $50 less. I feel royally screwed.

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:42:24 PM »

Hopefully these new tablets work better than the original.
My original "AirPad" had issues overheating if left charging, requiring a hard reset.
It also arrived with a defective power supply.
In the end I returned it for a refund and purchased a quality dual core Honeycomb tablet.  :)%

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »

Only time will tell if the new one is better and even meets the specification they are touting in their sales pitch.

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »

I think X10 is the only one that can answer this question and I have not seen any X10 folks hanging around these forums.  The Airpad 7p (different hardware) seems be a replacement for the Airpad 1. I would guess this gives them less motivation to update the older product.  On a positive note, I see that  Rockchip is porting Ice Cream Sandwich to the Rk2910 platform.  See http://archosfans.com/2011/11/29/rockchip-rk2918-runs-ice-cream-sandwich  These changes have  to trickle down to the Shenzhen Lanyu Electronics (the tablet  manufacturer) then to X10.

do you think old 7" airpad with 2.3.1 can flash to 2.3.4??
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:41:25 PM by pseeker »

Polly

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 06:19:11 PM »

I ordered the Airpad 7p after waffling so long on the $199 - $179 Airpad 1 that the price had time to come down to $159, and it's the new improved version to boot!  This will be my first Android device.  I love certain Flash games, which the iPad won't do.  Otherwise I'd probably be getting an iPad. 

BTW, my Safari (on Mac system 10.4.11 "Tiger") didn't work on the ordering page very well. I had to use Firefox.

I chatted with the Live Chat to answer some questions first.  The USB port is called "mini-USB" in the image on the promo page, and that confused me.  The Airpad 1 has a regular USB (which turns out IS a "mini") and a "USB Host" port which the new 7p seems not to have. 

I hope a proper "manual" will be posted at the wiki page before the Airpad arrives.  If not, I'll make do with the existing "manual" for the Airpad.  Can't tell if it's for the 7" or the 10".  First plug in the Power Adapter for at least 4 hours. 

There is no entry for how to use the camera.  Or how to do Skype (if Skype can be made to work) or Google Voice.  (First find a WiFi signal. Then make sure you're plugged in with the AC adapter, in case the bigger battery still has a short life.  Don't let it get below 20% or you'll be sorry.)  I may write my own manual.  :D

It ships by Fedex.  The shipping notice email listed the Airpad 7p and a "3ft mini-HDMI to HDMI cable".  Since I thought I'd be getting a 6ft cable I asked Customer service via Live Chat about the discrepancy.  Natalie assured me that only 6ft cables were being sent out.  We'll see!

///Polly

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »

The AirpadP manual is in the X10 FTP sites manuals area.
I would expect the link in the wiki will be updated soon.

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/airpadp-om.pdf
Unfortunately I have not figured out how to prevent the forum software from adding the HTTP: to the link. So as posted it will be broken.  :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:28:48 PM by Brian H »

Polly

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 07:45:51 PM »

Brian,

Thanks for the link.  I found the manual and compared it to the old manual.  The first page shows the model AIRPADP vs AIRPAD 1.   The case is silver or gray rather than black, and the example desktop view is changed. (I like the old manual's better, with the larger icons and brighter background.)  In the upper left next to the "Home" icon, I can see on magnification 600% a padlock icon.  Model 1 has two more, mentioned by shesgone, and though I can't tell what the middle one is, the third one seems like it might be an "eject" symbol.

P. 18-19.  The instructions and screenshots for turning on HDMI and setting the resolution are omitted, and a couple of helpful comments have been inserted.  Is HDMI automatically on, or always on, and is the resolution not adjustable anymore? 

The photos of the right and wrong way to insert a microSD card have been omitted in favor of a screenshot about the Unmount process.  (What does "TF" stand for?) I hope omitting the photos means the problem of cards falling all the way in has been fixed!  BTW, to actually read anything on a screenshot, I have to magnify my view up to 300% or 400%.

P. 10-11 has different screenshots than the old manual.  I liked the one that has the keyboard at the bottom, since this was the only screenshot that had that.  Newbies to tablets catch on real quick to how the keys pop up when needed, but it was comforting to see that image.   ;)

And on p. 2-4, this sentence is substituted for the similar wording of the old manual, to include Sub-Part C as well as B:

It has been type tested and found to comply with the limits for
                    remote control devices in accordance with the specifications in
                    Sub-Parts B and C of Part 15 of FCC Rules, which are designed to provide
                    reasonable protection against such interference in a residential installation.

The old manual didn't mention "remote control devices" at all.  The new manual mentions it just on p. 2 (quoted above) regarding the FCC rules.  Maybe there's an app that turns the AP7p into an X10 remote.  ;D

I do look forward to getting my new toy before Christmas!

///Polly

pseeker

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 11:38:28 PM »

The Airpad 7g seems to be a Ployer MOMO9C.  Very aggressively priced.  Comparable overseas pricing is $135 (may not be worth the hassle of ordering overseas)   However more downward pricing pressure in coming months...    See http://www.androidauthority.com/sub-100-android-4-0-tablet-comes-alive-37454/      I am stunned.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:58:28 AM by pseeker »

RobMtl007

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 09:36:23 AM »

Greetings  pseeker:

Yes you are correct the Airpad 7P is based on the Momo9.

But there is even a better Tablet that uses the AllWinner CPU with dual cameras called the Novo 7
  Advanced.

There are rumors all over the internet that this Tablet will get Android 4.0 ICS.

Regards Robert

pseeker

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »

We'll have to wait to see if an actual airpad 7p tablet owner reports the same model number... Unless you are saying this from first hand experience?   Manufacturers with good reputation  like Aishuo , Zenithink etc are cloned.   The clones get cloned!  Sometimes with inferior build and parts quality.
   Yes you are correct the Airpad 7P is based on the Momo9.

MMMW

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 10:22:02 PM »

The 7 was suppose to have 6hrs of battery life, while it only has 2.
The 7p is supposed to have 50% better battery performance, of 8.5hrs.
So, the 7p will probably only have 3hrs of battery life, which still sucks.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:23:51 PM by MMMW »

Polly

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 01:56:18 AM »

New to tablets and to Android.  I've had my Airpad 7p about a week now.

I managed to get the Amazon Android Market client installed and then installed Mahjong Deluxe, free version.  (Amazon sends an invoice email even for getting a free app.) I tried plugging in a mouse through the USB dongle, and it worked for the game, but speed being a consideration, there's times when the finger can go faster.  :)  Using Sleep, the tablet picks right up at the game when I wake it up again. The game crashes after awhile, and sometimes the tablet crashes.  I can live with that, actually.  I might try other amazon android apps eventually. 

I haven't tested the battery life, but when I watched a TV episode of Mentalist, it worked like a charm, and after the 50 minutes or so still had 75-80% of battery left as shown by the green icon.  :) I located the videobb.com website on my computer for the show I wanted, then entered the URL into the Browser on the Airpad. (Next time I'll email myself the link to save the trouble.)  I had purchased the HDMI cable along with the AP7p, and simply plugged it into the AP and the TV,  then used TV remote to select HDMI input, and there it was.  On AP 7p, you can see what you are doing on the Airpad screen, so it was just tap the "Play" triangle, sit back and watch.  I could have used Pause & (drag the pointer) Rewind if I'd wanted.  The audio was lagging behind the video in this viewing, but the upload omitted the commercials, which was nice.  I'll do the same again next time I miss an episode of my favorite show! 

??? Now, can anyone help with this trouble?  I'd like to use gmail on the Airpad, and gmail is even recommended by X10, but the list of labels (using Gmail for android) at the left takes up so much space that I can't read all the the way across on the message pane.  B:(  In the Browser, the swipe works to some extent to see more, but the pinch motions don't work to shrink the image for a gmail message.  A text-only message is more readable, but for lots of messages you have to view an image. And Settings is no help, it's just for a signature and a vacation message.  Is it something I'm doing, or should I (all of us) gripe to the Gmail folks?

///Polly

hessville

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »

Polly,
        I've been trying to watch tv episodes from the major networks,
but when i get to the episode i want to watch it says i need a the player
that is used for their website. which one are you using?

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.