Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: electric heating automation  (Read 3932 times)

justdaj

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
electric heating automation
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:01:49 PM »

Hi all, this is my first post and I am not too clued up on all the terms yet, so please be gentle with me! 

I'm looking for some general advice on how I can automate the control of my electric heating system.  Let me try and outline the current setup if I may...

Each room has one, or two, wall mounted electric heaters which are filled with water (I believe).  The heater has a thermostat dial ranging from 'frost' up to  3 (full).  Each heater is connected to it's own wall mounted (floor level) on/off switch.  There is no timer :-(   Each room has a separate trip switch in a fuse box (I think also referred to as a consumer unit).  There is one consumer unit containing all the circuit breakers (trip switches) for the heaters.  Another consumer unit has breakers for all other aspects of the house.

What I would like to achieve is a system where I could remotely connect to a controller in the house and turn on the heaters -- independently would be a bonus but if I had to turn them all on that is fine too.  The heaters are normally left at setting two or three so it's just the turning on and off of the power that I guess I need to do.

By 'remotely' I would happy remotely control a PC in the house to do this, or if I was really having all my dreams cone true I would do it using my iPhone.

I'm guessing some of this is achievable but I'm really not too sure.

I had look at something like this and I initially thought I simply replaced the breaker but this looks like it actually needs wiring too

Any help/thoughts much appreciated

(I'm not an electrician.  I'm a computer person!)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: electric heating automation
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »

First you would have to determine the wattage rating of the heaters. So finding a control with the correct rating would be needed.
The module you linked to is a UK version and can we say you are in the UK? Where modules we dream of but are not available are made.

justdaj

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:30:02 PM »

Hi, thanks for the reply

Yes, I am in the UK -- sorry, I should have said.  I did try to update my profile with the usual stuff you put on a forum profile but I can not edit it. Maybe because I am new.

The heaters range from 1kw to 1.5kw

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 05:55:44 PM »

I believe you are correct on the editing the profile.
Will see what can be found.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »

This is familiar. Have you posted this question before? If not, a similar post is somewhere on the forum, perhaps with solutions.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

justdaj

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:23:13 AM »

This is familiar. Have you posted this question before? If not, a similar post is somewhere on the forum, perhaps with solutions.
Nope -- my first time.  Perhaps it is a familiar request, but I certainly have done a lot of reading and can't find an answer that I understand!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 05:45:10 AM »

There was a recent thread but it really did not end with a clear yes/no answer.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.